Sig P226 Legion

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just shot the SAO version over the weekend. Prior to this I only "met" this gun on YouTube and never even hold it or dry fire it in a store as this is way outside my budget, nor have I tried a regular P226. But man, what a smooth pistol. I'm not a competition type of shooter, at least not yet. But that trigger encourages you to shoot fast.

The all metal Sigs are worth the price tag if you care about finish and precision. I love my P220 SAO.

Originally Posted By: das_peikko
How did it feel in your hand?!!? Comfortable?

The grip was surprisingly comfortable and I have quite a small hand which makes it a challenge for me when handling a larger pistol like a Beretta 92.

But the G10 grip is quite something at least in my inexperienced hand. The safety is exactly where my thumb would be and give you a very positive tactile feedback, very similar if not the same as where you would find it on an 1911.

I haven't handled any other 226 so I can't compare but I can just feel quality everywhere I can see with this one. I didn't field strip it since it wasn't mine.

If I really have to make a comment it may be the green fluorescent-ish front sight, I prefer orange personally.

The problem I have with the P-226 Legion is the cost. They want just a few dollars less for it than the all Stainless Steel P-226 Stainless Elite, which is a far better pistol. Not that there's anything "wrong" with an Aluminum alloy framed pistol with composite grips. But it should NOT cost anywhere near the same price as an all Stainless gun with Rosewood grips.

For example, full size, composite grip Aluminum framed Beretta 9 MM's, and even all steel framed CZ's can be had for less than half of what Sig is charging for this new Legion. I have 2 Sig P-226's. One is the SCT, (Super Capacity Tactical), and the other is the Stainless Elite. And I also have a P-229 Stainless Elite. All in 9 MM. They all run good. But with that said, I'm done with Sigs. I just think there are better pistols out there for the price.

And I don't care for the way they've cheapened up the new Stainless Elite models, by going to an Aluminum frame, and still maintain the same cost as when they produced the gun in all Stainless Steel. Which is much more costly and time consuming to machine than Aluminum.

I get your point but like most things commercial, the product is priced by the manufacturer at what they think the product is worth based on a spectrum of the product line up. I would even argue the Stainless Elite and the Legion should be further apart because rosewood is more expensive to source and to work with than G10 grip.

If I have to guess I would say a stainless frame with a wooden grip targets a different demographics than the Legion does, both are top spec in their respective category if you know what I mean.

The Legion has an improved trigger, which is part of how they justify the Legion line price increase.

Originally Posted By: Ammofirst
I’m glad sigs are made in the USA

As much as I hate to say it, it appears since they have, their overall quality has taken a hit.

Based on many posts at the sig forum that’s debatable.

Sig fan boys post at the Sig forum. It's no different than talking about Ford's lack of quality on a Ford forum. You'll be attacked immediately.

I think I remember hearing that the new Slovenian-made pistol that's inspired by the Sig P-226 now has a competition, SAO version. Might want to look into that.

It's called the Rex Zero One, and it's been almost universally praised as an awesome handgun. It's like half the price of the Sig.

Tons of content on YouTube, including one where it performed better than any other handgun in a "torture test" run by Tim of the Military Arms Channel.

I don’t know about professional reviewers. The whole thing seems like a conflict of interest.

I agree. Reading about a gun review in a gun rag, by an author who writes about firearms for a living, is like reading about a car review in Motor Trend. It's not worth the paper it's printed on.

Originally Posted By: billt460
I don’t know about professional reviewers. The whole thing seems like a conflict of interest.

I agree. Reading about a gun review in a gun rag, by an author who writes about firearms for a living, is like reading about a car review in Motor Trend. It's not worth the paper it's printed on.

No doubt, some reviews are biased, but Tim of the Military Arms Channel has made every attempt to ensure that the tests that each handgun is put through in his torture test series are as identical as possible.

A very common response to this is, "Well, I'll never subject my handgun to immersion in water, dirt and mud." It's true; most handguns will never see that level of adverse conditions in their lifetime. But that's not the point. The aim of these kinds of tests is comparison; to subject each type of handgun to adverse conditions that are as similar as possible, in order to compare how they each perform under these circumstances.

I Think people are much better served to read reviews at forums like right here at good ol Bob’s. Beware though even forums get compromised by less than honest folk looking to sell gear. Worst offender in this department has to be amazon. I won’t buy anything from that hellhole for a myriad of reasons, but leaving all that aside, the reviews are so corrupted it’s a flat out joke.

Actually, standardized test by comparison is, without a doubt, the best way to judge performance of anything, because it removes opinion/bias completely.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back