ZEPRO With Advanced Molybdenum for Mazda

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://www.idemitsulubricants.com/zepro/0w-20

ZEPRO 0W-20 With Advanced Molybdenum Available on Amazon I picked up a 5qt jug for $30
I was using The Mazda branded Moly oil but found the Idemitsu oil cheaper. It is the same oil just in a different container.
The oil is cheap enough for me to do 5k mile oci's since my wife short trips the car 4 miles a day and frequent short stop/start trips during the week.

Last edited:
I have used this product but believe it’s been reformulated to meet dexos1Gen2 and the upcoming SN Plus requirements. The new bottle doesn’t tout the molybdenum content but does mention LSPI prevention; don’t know if this is just marketing or if the Moly content has been reduced. Fwiw, the new TDS doesn’t mention molybdenum.

If you like the version you have, stock up. It’s a really good price and it may not be available long.

Originally Posted By: ARCOgraphite
I got an Idea run 10w30 so you don't need the moly to prevent failure. Just an Idea.

QSUD buddy.

No. Stick with what Mazda specs for the engine.

This is good oil but you can run any major brand of 0w-20 with no worries.

Originally Posted By: GLG1
Idemitsu has a "regular" 0w-20 synthetic oil, and "ZEPRO 0w-20 w/ Moly

"ZEPRO 0W-20 with Molybdenum exceeds industry requirements for high-temperature deposit control, surpassing both dexos1™ Gen2 and GF-5 specifications".

(ZEPRO w/ MOLY 0w-20)
https://www.idemitsulubricants.com/zepro/0w-20

(IDEMITSU 0W-20)
https://www.idemitsulubricants.com/idemitsu/engine-oil/0w-20

Idemitsu has two Zepros out there: one emphasizing molybdenum and one Dexos1Gen2. These are separate from their “regular” synthetic.

The D1G2 version doesn’t mention molybdenum anywhere I can find. Maybe both versions will continue, but if molybdenum is your aim, like the OP’s, it makes sense to make sure you choose the correct one.

I don't see why these oil manufacturers cannot use high trimer moly levels in their D1G2 oils, since it has been shown to actually HELP out in the reduction of LSPI events, besides all of it's other already known benefits.
21.gif

IF the above is incorrect, can one of our board tribologists PLEASE come on here and explain the reasons why moly could be detrimental to meeting D1G2 specs and/or LSPI occurrence frequency.

http://www.industrialoutpost.com/what-is-dexos1/

In 2011, GM introduced their own stand-alone specification, “dexos,” to meet the stringent requirements for their engines. The difference in a GF-5 approved oil and dexos approved oil is testing. GM dexos approved oils require proprietary tests that are not included in current industry standards. GF-5 is tested to meet API specifications. GF-5 oils are available in conventional, synthetic blend, and full synthetic versions, whereas dexos has to have some level of synthetic in order to meet GM’s stringent requirements. This leads one to wonder what will happen if they do not use dexos where it is required.

GM claims that severe damage can be done to your engine if a dexos-approved oil is not used and there is a possibility your warranty can be void. GM’s newer model vehicles now use oil life monitors which anticipate longer drain intervals based on the use of dexos-approved lubricants. Using a non-dexos-approved oil can result in the use of an oil that will not have a service life that is programmed into the oil life monitor. This can give the driver a false sense of security that the oil in their engine is still good when in fact it isn’t. So always follow what is specified in your owner’s manual when choosing your motor oil. Be sure that what you are purchasing meets the proper API, ILSAC, or in this case dexos1 specification.

Again I can't reiterate this point enough Use the grade & viscosity oil suggested in the owners manual. The vehicle Mfg. paid a lot of money for testing to get the most out of their product. we're not going to reinvent the wheel

Last edited:
I'm thinking most of these oils will be pretty compatible to mix with each other. Like the 5w40 and the 0w20moly.

Yuk! Zepro 0W20 has a quoted Noack of 14% (so could potentially have a Noack of up to 14.45%). Think of your poor oil control rings and how they'll suffer running long-term on this stuff!

Looking at the Viscocity Index of this oil (215), it looks to me like it's formulated with PMA VII so has a low KV40 (so good for fuel economy) but is loaded up to the gunnels with VII rubber (yuk for piston deposits!).

A hefty slug of Moly in this oil doesn't IMO make up for the aforementioned deficiencies.

Originally Posted By: GLG1
GM claims that severe damage can be done to your engine if a dexos-approved oil is not used and there is a possibility your warranty can be void.

GM tell me I can use an ACEA C3 in lieu of Dexos in my vehicle.

I'm thinking after I use my last jug of zepro moly oil I'm going order Amsoil 0w-20 signature series oil and filter, set the Flexible OCI on the OLM and call it good for 10k miles. Probably change the filter at 5k and top off.

^^^They (Amsoil) DO claim their new, current formulation of Sig Series is specifically formulated for GDI engines, and all of their resultant 'problems' both real AND imagined.
wink.gif

They even found a way to have a high starting TBN with a low(er) calcium content (mostly a boron and magnesium detergent/dispersant pack maybe?
21.gif
), as well as some of the lower NOACKS around to address the good ol' LSPI issues.

I also plan on using either their 0W/5W-20, or 5W-30 for next winter's OCI.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back