Royal Purple 10w40 for dirt bikes

Status
Not open for further replies.
PLEASE do not turn this into a RP love/hate debate, don't like RP , don't post, PLEASE

Have 2 Yamaha 4 strokes, a 230 and 125 that my grandsons ride, they both got FMF exhausts for Christmas and with the added "BIG BIKE" roar they have now, I anticipate a summer filled with higher rev's and a lot of wrist twisting so they hear the growl. Been using Valvoline 10w40 synthetic from Walmart at $7.XX a quart, and change two times a season, May thru mid Oct , every Saturday for about 4 hours. Overkill, maybe? Anyway is RP at $12.xx a quart better and allow better protection with the added strain I am anticipating and become a once a year OCI?

Fake premium oil that's what that purple puke is. No want or need to go there. How did that junk get street cred? Product placement? (Just like BOSE is not high end HI-FI. Boom-tiz cheaply made junk - but some how it got street cred from the Walmart Shoppers. Yes the wave radio is decent but for $149.95 not $300.00+)

If required, You better run motorbike or 4x4 oil in there, not weak automotive lubes.

If you like the Valvoline, and the owner's manual allows automotive lubes, Vr1 racing Valvoline synthetic has some chops under pressure ( I have it in my generator where regular 10w30 gos to water whn hot) - though those buzz bomb motors aren't putting out mega power per litre.

(Just like BOSE is not high end HI-FI. Boom-tiz cheaply made junk.
Yes the wave radio is decent but for 149.95 not 300)

Now that I think about it, I don't like noisy dirt bike riding kids running around my house when I'm trying to relax after work.
I would put Wesson oil in there.

Last edited:
So you are doing approximately 100 hours on each bike per year. Even with a synthetic, I think the interval for the TTR is supposed to be about 60 hours for serious riding.

So, you could probably push it to one per year if that is really what you want to do. Doing 2 per year is certainly not overkill if they are riding the bikes hard though.

On dirt bikes the air filter is more important than the oil. You are asking for a once a year oil change.. ?

I would teach the boys how to do their own service. Rotella 5w40 and once a month or two oil changes will be all that you want it to be.

Bike maintenance- chain lubed and proper tension, checking spoke tension..air filter air filter air filter.. also keeping the radiator washed and free of dust and dirt.

Originally Posted By: krismoriah72
On dirt bikes the air filter is more important than the oil. You are asking for a once a year oil change.. ?

I would teach the boys how to do their own service. Rotella 5w40 and once a month or two oil changes will be all that you want it to be.

Bike maintenance- chain lubed and proper tension, checking spoke tension..air filter air filter air filter.. also keeping the radiator washed and free of dust and dirt.

So the question posed is whether an oil change every 3 months is overkill (which it isn't, but could probably be stretched if desired) and if it could shift to an annual change for a 6 month riding season, ie. 6 month interval. Your advice is to switch to an oil that requires monthly changes?
confused.gif

Yes air filtration and those other things are important, but your oil recommendation results in the exact opposite of the desired outcome for the requested advice.

Originally Posted By: ARCOgraphite
Fake premium oil that's what that purple puke is. No want or need to go there. How did that junk get street cred? Product placement? (Just like BOSE is not high end HI-FI. Boom-tiz cheaply made junk - but some how it got street cred from the Walmart Shoppers. Yes the wave radio is decent but for $149.95 not $300.00+)

If required, You better run motorbike or 4x4 oil in there, not weak automotive lubes.

If you like the Valvoline, and the owner's manual allows automotive lubes, Vr1 racing Valvoline synthetic has some chops under pressure ( I have it in my generator where regular 10w30 gos to water whn hot) - though those buzz bomb motors aren't putting out mega power per litre.

(Just like BOSE is not high end HI-FI. Boom-tiz cheaply made junk.
Yes the wave radio is decent but for 149.95 not 300)

Now that I think about it, I don't like noisy dirt bike riding kids running around my house when I'm trying to relax after work.
I would put Wesson oil in there.

Thanks for heading the first line of my post......... gramps...
lol.gif

Both oils are Motorcycle oils, should have stated that originally.

We ride at a designated riding area, no homes nearby .

Last edited:
shell rotella t 15w40 white jug
$14 per gallon

and i've owned a ttr125
it did NOT have an oil filter

oil should be changed every 5-10 motor hours

oh, and i tested RP 20w50...wasnt worth half the price

Last edited:
I tried the RP 10W-40 once...about 15 years ago. It shifted like the box was full of kerosine not oil, so never used it again. It could be good now, could work well in your bikes.

Valvoline is a fine oil and no oil will be able to overcome the limitations of engineering and design of the engine.

If it makes someone feel better to purchase expensive oil, then do it, its a personal decision, but there is no proof that any given oil will make an engine wear longer then the other.

People tend to equate more expensive = better without hard proof.

I stocked on some Valvoline at Wally World this weekend,so I will stick to that oil and change 3 times a season. They are right there with me doing maintenance and they do ALL the cleaning.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back