Lucas Extreme Gun Oil is legit! Almost as legit as

Status
Not open for further replies.
. . . Almost as legit as the new (to me) pistol I just picked up!

To start, I am not a fan of CLP’s. I prefer to clean with a cleaner and lube with a lube. I am not saying CLPs do not work. Just that I don’t prefer them. That said, it’s not everyday you find a new gun oil that does not claim to be a CLP on the market. Having tried Lucas gun oil before (the red stuff) I knew they made a basic oil that worked. Oil is oil is oil.

However the newer line of “extreme” gun lube (blue stuff) is a very good product. It feels unlike any other gun lube to the touch. Not tacky but slick with some “stick” to it.

k96u5y.jpg

I use beechwood gun scrubber on all firearms followed by a lube, usually weapon shield CLP.

The gun I picked up recently was very lightly used (not that it matters given what it is) and was cleaned and lubed by the gun store prior to purchase. I decided to break it down once home and re-clean (they did a good job) and lube with this new product from Lucas. I instantly felt the slide glide smoother (as if that’s possible given what it is (have you guessed what it is yet)) than it did with the gun shops oil of choice.

I decided to test it on my AR, Glock, Mav88, and LCP and to my surprise they did indeed seem to feel smoother with action manipulation. Time will tell how it holds up to storage and heavy firing. But I think it’s deffinitly worth a look into if your like me and can never leave well enough alone when it comes to lube. Being this is a forum based on lube. I am guessing your like me.

And the pistol I recently picked up. . .

Has been on my radar for several years. . .

The one.

HK USP Full Size .40!

mku68o.jpg

Lucas has a reputation for making less than high quality motor oils and other products, I don't have much confidence in their products.

I use a Amsoil gun oil now but before that I used Mpro7.

Originally Posted By: 901Memphis
Lucas has a reputation for making less than high quality motor oils and other products, I don't have much confidence in their products.

Not only that, but they appear to change their "formula's" every 15 minutes. Here are 2 bottles of Lucas "Gun Oil" I purchased some time ago. You can see the difference. The red stuff looks and smells a lot like ATF. And is the same viscosity. The clear stuff is something else. You can see they're both bottled identically. However they both have, "The Latest In Lubricating Technology". Now this blue stuff is something entirely different yet again. All of this is within a fairly narrow time frame. I'm starting to believe they take what's in the bottom of all the barrels that day, and bottle it and label it, "Gun Oil". Now they've added "Extreme" to help round out the sales pitch. Probably tossed some gear oil into the mix for good measure.

All kinds of stuff out there and IMO it makes little diff what you use. If it slides, grease it, on other parts a drop of any oil will do.

Originally Posted By: billt460

Not only that, but they appear to change their "formula's" every 15 minutes. Here are 2 bottles of Lucas "Gun Oil" I purchased some time ago. You can see the difference. The red stuff looks and smells a lot like ATF. And is the same viscosity. The clear stuff is something else. You can see they're both bottled identically. However they both have, "The Latest In Lubricating Technology". Now this blue stuff is something entirely different yet again. All of this is within a fairly narrow time frame. I'm starting to believe they take what's in the bottom of all the barrels that day, and bottle it and label it, "Gun Oil". Now they've added "Extreme" to help round out the sales pitch. Probably tossed some gear oil into the mix for good measure.

Believe me I agree! Lucas products by and Large are mostly snake oils in my honest opinion.

The red Lucas gun oil is very lackluster. I’d venture to say the ATF comment would be a compliment and that it is more likely to be dyed mineral oil.

I have to give credit where it is do however. This seems to be a solid product. I’m hoping someone can chyme in and share there experience as I am genuinely curious is anyone else has had the same experience.

Originally Posted By: tc1446
All kinds of stuff out there and IMO it makes little diff what you use. If it slides, grease it, on other parts a drop of any oil will do.

This is the bitog forum.

The cold, boring, logic forum is down the hall.

Haha! Just kidding! I tend to agree. But I’m not putting “any oil” on my my firearms. While most of my guns are practical and not relatively over expensive, I do have several high priced collectors pieces and I want to at least think I’m protecting and lubeing them the best I can.

Looks like they just fill the bottles with whatever they have left over.You could get UCL or Transfix depending on the day.

Lucas Company developed products that mostly separated truckers from their money and IMHO were probably low quality. I avoid Lucas products 100%.
Looks like I am not alone.

I knew their "Gun Oil" sucked. But I didn't know everything else did. They always did seem like a gimmick product source. I remember their little "gear crank" doohickey that was always sitting on the counter at auto parts stores with their, "Oil Stabilizer" in it. You would turn the crank and the goop inside would get all stringy and snotty looking, as it stuck to the gears. While the regular oil just lubricated like it was supposed to.

The only thing extreme about Lucas Extreme gun oil is the cost. $5.99 an ounce or, to put it in perspective, $191 a quart, no thanks. Absolutely zero reasons that a gun needs a different, or special formulated oil to operate more than any other mechanical device. I use Klotz Techniplate 2 stroke synthetic oil on all my weapons. Cost is less than .50 cents an ounce.

Originally Posted By: funflyer
The only thing extreme about Lucas Extreme gun oil is the cost. $5.99 an ounce or, to put it in perspective, $191 a quart, no thanks. Absolutely zero reasons that a gun needs a different, or special formulated oil to operate more than any other mechanical device. I use Klotz Techniplate 2 stroke synthetic oil on all my weapons. Cost is less than .50 cents an ounce.

But it allows them to make yet even more money from their cheap group I product with a big splash of tackifier
smirk.gif

Personally I just use red synthetic grease (AMSOIL) and synthetic ATF (also AMSOIL) in a syringe depending on application. Both hold up very well, even in damp environments.

(Dare I fan the flame)

It appears that Sig Sauer and Greyguns have both partenered with Lucas on this new “extreme duty” oil. All Sigs manufactured are shipped lubed with Lucas.

Originally Posted By: SKVenture
.....All Sigs manufactured are shipped lubed with Lucas.

An even better reason to field strip, clean and lube BEFORE heading to the range.

An even better reason to field strip, clean and lube BEFORE heading to the range.

thumbsup2.gif

I agree, but I would do that no matter what the gun shipped with.

I use both the Blue and Red Lucas products. I like them personally, even more than Weaponshield and MPro7. Also use Slip 2000EWL.
But the only pistol innards I oil are bore, trigger parts and exterior parts. Everything else gets Superlube light grease.

Lucas gun grease is the same exact thing as their marine wheel bearing #2 grease (an entire 14 ounce tube is $5.99). Lucas gun oil (red) is repackaged transmission fluid. I haven't figured out what their extreme gun lube is, but you can bet that its just a repackaged automotive lube of some sort. Probably a gear oil mixed with something else. I am NOT a fan of this kind of stupidity.

Repackaging auto lubes for 30 times the cost is just shady business practices. Screw them. You call yourself a lube company and you can't even spend a few weeks designing a gun specific product without just repacking automatic transmission fluid? Disgusting.

I'd dump the oil out and reuse the needle bottle with some other lube.

Originally Posted By: 28oz

I agree, but I would do that no matter what the gun shipped with.

This is true. But, when it comes to a new Glock, I have heard that you don't want to clean and lube the slide. Reason being is they put a copper type lube/anti-seize on the slide that they claim is some good lube that you don't want to remove.
21.gif

According to Bruce Gray, the SIG shooting team is noticing less frame wear using Lucas Extreme products than with previous products or other products used, over higher round counts.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back