Mobil EP -vs- Mobil AFE Any Real Difference

Status
Not open for further replies.
Longevity aside is there any difference between these two substantially add pack or otherwise.

Liking the PAO of 0W-20 EP but considering going with Mobile AFE 0w30

vehicle specs I can use xW-20 or xW-30. Currently using M1 EP 0W-20

Is the 0W-30 AFE just loaded up with a bunch more viscosity improver's to make the spread and that is kind of a detriment in itself.

Understand in the scheme of things will not make a difference for 300k miles which it will long be traded before, but curious minds want to know.

AFE is the 0w version of Mobil 1. My engine seems to like it better.

EP is for longer intervals, it actually withstands heat better than regular M1. In my engine, btw. Have seen it tends to darken a bit later into the oci on my engine.

AP is the sequel nobody needed or wanted.

Sources: used all of the flavors of M1, Mobil Super, Delvac except AP

Last edited:
When using Mobil1 0w-30 AFE are there any trade offs.

By being able to achieve better fuel efficiency, is wear protection or something else lacking?

If nothing is lacking than the 0w-30 should be used in any vehicle specing a 5w-30 or 10w-30. Why make a 5w or 10w anymore?

Basically what I am saying, there is no free ride, something else must take a hit.

This Mobil 1 thing is confusing ... I looked at the shelf and there is EP, AFE, AP ... by nature, any time I get confused, I try to avoid that product. having said that I was planning on using regular mobil 1 cuz I have heard it is the oil they give to Toyota ...

Last edited:
I like 0w everything (oil gets thicker as it cools and is never 0 weight) (just resists over thickening if you will better). Lowest MRV is always a good thing.

Think 20 weight is purely for CAFE

Would like Mobil 1 0w-30 EP but does not exist. So thinking going for AFE as it comes in 0w-30.

Kind of hate to give up all that pao EP 0w-20 is made of though.

Originally Posted By: kschachn
Originally Posted By: Fallguy

How much PAO is in AFE?

I don't think anyone actually knows. And I doubt they know EP has more than AFE.

How much PAO is in AFE?

According to Mobil 30-40%. EP is 60-70%. Both for 0w-20.

Look for “1-Decene, homopolymer hydrogenated” in the Safety data sheet.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Danh

How much PAO is in AFE?

According to Mobil 30-40%. EP is 60-70%. Both for 0w-20.

Link??

my bad, was thinking us didn't show the percentage. Swear had to look at the foreign neighbors MSDS but it is indeed in the US MSDS.

Thanks, good catch

i would think out of the bottle no difference.
7.5k or 10k down the road still the same.
15k miles down the road maybe thats when the differences start to show up.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: spj
There isnt much pao in afe 0w30. There is a bunch of gtl.

Are you sure about that? I didn't think Mobil 1 was using any GTL in any of their North American oils.

Either way, I have put some 425K(miles) with both AFE 0-20 and EP 0-20(most with AFE) in my last 3 Fords with outstanding results at 10K OCIs. Both are outstanding lubricants in engines calling for 20 wt oil. A friend has 100K on his 2014 Silverado 5.3 with AFE 0-20 with very good results.

The industrial processes used in the production of 1-decene are oligomerization of ethylene by the Ziegler Process or by the cracking of petrochemical waxes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back