dexos 1 gen 2 oil for multiport fuel injection car

Status
Not open for further replies.
i have a DI car and 4 others that are the old fashioned fuel injection (Multipoint fuel injection / PFI) and have also read that the d1g2 type oils are better for DI/LSPI and has less calcium, more moly, etc. basically more of something and less of something else ...

Q1:
Is LSPI a potential problem only with DI engines?

Q2:
If yes, then if d1g2 type oils are targeted for DI engine can this oil be as good for other MPFI (non DI) cars.

i don't want to buy an oil for one car to help LSPI and have 3 other cars suffering from lack of some othe chemicals ...

do you recommend non d1g2 oil for other cars?

count me interested, i seen that mobil I oils were said to be better for DI cars as they have less cal + more mag!!

Q1: yes.

Q2: yes
smile.gif

All Dexos 1, gen 2 oils are good products. They will work fine in your other cars
smile.gif

i was thinking about using the same oil in my Tundra. i will have to check what it requires.
it has few more months of free oil change.
I try not to buy a DI car or cylinder activation/deactivation type cars but its very hard these day. I rushed and bought a 5.7 L Tundra just in case Toyota decided to go DI or do the cylinder deactivation thing on that car ... Tundra is an old style fuel injection car and I didn't want to use an oil which is low on some chemicals that the engine may need.

GM has been running their 2nd generation AFM ( cylinder deactivation) and DI in their GenV truck engines for 4 years now. Any complaints?

I run Dexos in my 2008 6.0 liter which has neither and I imagine I’d use Gen 2 if the cost was the same.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Snagglefoot
GM has been running their 2nd generation AFM ( cylinder deactivation) and DI in their GenV truck engines for 4 years now. Any complaints?

I run Dexos in my 2008 6.0 liter which has neither and I imagine I’d use Gen 2 if the cost was the same.

I am sure those cars are fine. we have DI with almost 60K on it and it still runs great. but I prefer non DI and non activation/deactivation type cars. I don't care to save a few dollars on gas and if I paid for 8 cylinder I want those cylinders on at all time .... lol
it's just a preference, fighting the new technology you know. that plus I have a Tacoma with 370K miles with no issues!

I read about that ... some people were disabling the functionality. also I forgot to mention that new Tacomas are some sort of DI or were DI and now they are DI plus some port injection for cleanup ... anyways a lot of people were complaining about the lack of power or something. I am not following the story but my old Tacoma has no issues and I wouldn't buy new Tacomas either.

I think car companies rush to new technology for competition and some of these thing require 5 years or so to mature. I rather wait the 5 years and buy the car right before the major redesign.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Marco620
Car companies need to follow the KISS acronym of Keep It Simple Stupid
The car companies probably would prefer to follow the KISS principle. However they are having to follow the CAFE and EPA principle because Uncle Sam is looking over their shoulder. That's the reason for DI and AFM.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back