2005 Neon atf change

Status
Not open for further replies.
Want to do a drop and fill, along with the filter. Fluid is brownish colour, pungent smell not sure how to describe it, although im not sure what smell is good or bad. Unknown history. Car has 160,000km. Shifts good, only under light throttle does it slightly shudder on the 1-2 shift. Have Valvoline ATF+4 ready to go.

Just thought Id get your guys' insight before I do it in the near future.

We had an '05 Neon for 10 years and 178k miles until last March when I bought my Wife a new car and we donated the Neon to a family in bad need. It had the same shift shudder from the day in we bought it in '07 with 19k on it. Never got better, never got worse. Just part of the Neon personality. You're right around the mileage for changing the ATF, if I remember correctly. ATF+4 does have a stronger odor than Dexron ATF, so that's normal.

L8R,
Matt

Nothing wrong with Valvoline ATF+4 or any other licensed ATF+4, but the best fluid for ATF+4 applications is Redline C+ which uses the same add pack as licensed ATF+4 but with a group V ester base stock instead of the group III required by Chrysler (which is why they won't give it a license)

I would also suggest getting the Dorman transmission pan, which has a drain plug.

Redline C+ and the Dorman pan are all you need for success
smile.gif

Did the spill and fill 2 weeks ago, everything went fine. New filter and 4 quarts of atf+4 added. Total capacity is around 8.5-9 quarts.

Planning on doing it again in 2k when the oil change is due. After that, will more than likely do it once a year

Was wondering if I should change the filter again? I might since its only $10 and comes with the pan gasket.

Didnt get an oil pan with a drain plug. The pan on these are on probably a 30* angle, so loosening it and draining is mess free and you dont have to do a balancing act with a full pan of atf

have owned several neons. very good luck with them and many hubdreds of thousands of miles. I did keep the timing belts changed every 100,000 miles or so. that seems to be the biggest weak link.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back