Linux Mint takes over 2 minutes to load to desktop

Status
Not open for further replies.
I thought linux was better faster,etc. My Win 7 would regularly take 40 seconds tops. Why does Mint take soooo long? I have 4GB ram,if that matters.

May I suggest you check out the Linux Mint forums for a solution as you will find a much higher concentration of Linux Mint users with solutions on a forum dedicated to Linux Mint versus a forum dedicated to Motor Oil...

Do you regularly shut down the computer after use? Linux can take some time to boot, but I've always left the machine running for the most part.

You might be better off putting the computer to sleep/hibernate which would eliminate the need for it to do a cold boot each time.

How old is your hard-drive?

My wife's laptop was taking FOREVER to boot, and then it couldn't handle simple navigation or opening more than one program at a time without stumbling. I installed a new Samsung SSD and it's better than it was when new. It's incredibly fast and she no longer needs to borrow my laptop or use the PC for most of her computing.

I have an old, slow netbook that I'm thinking about replacing the HDD in. It suffers the same issues my wife's laptop did. It's extremely portable and the E-350 AMD APU was perfectly fine before for surfing the interwebs and even some (very) light gaming. If it doesn't work out, I can just use the SSD in the PC, as a second SSD (it has a 128GB boot SSD)

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: BikeWhisperer
May I suggest you check out the Linux Mint forums for a solution as you will find a much higher concentration of Linux Mint users with solutions on a forum dedicated to Linux Mint versus a forum dedicated to Motor Oil...
yeah, I'm aware that there are other forums that are dedicated to this, but I do know that there are PLENTY of knowledgeable people here that can answer my easy question. Besides this section of the forum is for COMPUTERS and related questions.

Originally Posted By: Reddy45
Do you regularly shut down the computer after use? Linux can take some time to boot, but I've always left the machine running for the most part.

You might be better off putting the computer to sleep/hibernate which would eliminate the need for it to do a cold boot each time.
I shut it down after I use it,which is about an hour a day.

Originally Posted By: MONKEYMAN
Maybe hard drive? All of mine boot 20 to 30 seconds.
Is there a hdd tester for Linux?

Originally Posted By: daves66nova
Originally Posted By: MONKEYMAN
Maybe hard drive? All of mine boot 20 to 30 seconds.
Is there a hdd tester for Linux?

I went to Menu. In Search Window type Disks. You will see the program at the top. Click on it. In upper right you will see some bars. There is a drop down menu. Click on SMART Data & Self-Tests. On my Mint XFCE with hdd I could run it to check if OK. On my laptop with solid state drive just says everything is OK.

Cannot tell you much more since I discovered this feature after reading your post. My laptop did take 30 seconds to boot.

Originally Posted By: daves66nova
Originally Posted By: Reddy45

I shut it down after I use it,which is about an hour a day.

I think you are better off to put the computer to sleep or hibernate then.

I bought this laptop used, so it's probably 8 years old or so. I use laptop for about an hour a day then shut it down.

I checked my Mint Mate 17.3.

Menu
System
Control Center
Hardware
Disks
clicked on my ssd
little sunburst thingy-- like system adjustments in Android
SMART Data and Self Tests

Ran the test, said my disk was OK, but didn't know enough to figure anything else out. Menuing would probably be different with XFCE or Cinnamon.

I can get to the Windows 10 login screen in no time flat. It is after logging in that I go make a coffee, waiting for any given application to be able to be opened and used. Although I notice Ubuntu taking a short while longer to get me to the login screen, it is only seconds after I log in that the system is actually use-able.

It all depends on how the developers choose the order in which the system libraries load.

If your laptop is eight years old, Linux Mint Mate would probably be a bit faster than Cinnamon on boot up. Or you could try something really light like Lubuntu or Peppermint Linux or (slightly larger) Xubuntu or Ubuntu Mate (both about the same size as Linux Mint Mate).

Originally Posted By: csandste
If your laptop is eight years old, Linux Mint Mate would probably be a bit faster than Cinnamon on boot up. Or you could try something really light like Lubuntu or Peppermint Linux or (slightly larger) Xubuntu or Ubuntu Mate (both about the same size as Linux Mint Mate).

The size and resource-intensiveness of a given distro's chosen or installed Desktop Environment is not going to play too terribly much in the sequence of events that happens before you get to a use-able desktop. The relative speed of one DE over another more involves the use of RAM, CPU and the requirement of 3D acceleration video during actual use that'll slow you down.

A speedy SSD or a faster HDD will speed up boot times, *as will disabling unnecessary services (in Windows-speak) and daemons (in Linux-speak) called upon during the boot sequence*. But OP is comparing apples to apples in stating that Win10 boots up faster than Mint.

I wholeheartedly suggest MATE, by the way, for light use. Things like LXDE, XFCE and some other purpose-built super-lightweight DE's, in my opinion, sacrifice a little too much polish and refinement - not to mention functionality and sometimes compatibility (try working with the outside world with AbiWord or Gnumeric). MATE is stable as a @#$% ROCK, has years and years of refinement behind it, and is actively developed and included by every major distro.

Dave as mentioned in previous posts

Garbage in Garbage out.

When you ask questions like this post
having background such as:

What computer you are using (more than just I have 4gb ram) is really necessary.

Also exact version of linux you are using etc.

In this case it would be better to know the elapsed time for the windows 7 boot until the HDD light isnt on solid.

you might be able to log in but its so lagged out loading background programs you cant even type in firefox for another minute

My recommendation would be a 40$ ssd drive.. should load like greased lightning.

I had a brand new I7 desktop a couple months ago that took forever to load windows 10.. of course it was because it had a 1tb 5400rpm hdd and I'm used to SSD.

here is a 240GB SSD for 60$
https://slickdeals.net/f/11341831-240gb-...earchBarV2Algo1

or a 120GB SSD for $40

https://www.walmart.com/ip/HP-S700-120GB...=10&veh=aff

I think that Windows cheats by caching a pre-booted image of memory of much of the core OS for the next boot.

2 minutes is not unusual for a full desktop distro on a mechanical disk.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back