Sam's club receipt checkers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
My wife and I went to Sam's today and bought a cart full of items, mostly groceries, probably 30 to 50 items total. I find it amusing that the receipt checker pretends to count the # of items and then signs and scribbles on the receipt and then we are on our way. I've always thought the whole receipt-checking thing was a joke. They just glance in the cart then glance at the paper receipt, and mark it with a pen and that's it. On a few occasions there might be a manager looking over their shoulder them and they do a more convincing pretend count. I know the receipt check is on the contact, but if I just told them no there is nothing they could do, short of revoking my membership. The quick glance at at a receipt and then the cart is more for show than it is designed to actually stop shoplifters. Maybe Costco does the same I do not know as I have never been to a Costco.

They probably have a camera aimed at that location, and the person working there really wants to put on a good show.

Last edited:
Some Walmart’s still do it but it’s not common around here like it was years ago.

I thought all the Sams Clubs were closed down? All of them here are gone b

Costco does it and one of the guys actually caught an error for us on the receipt. We bought postage stamps and the checker instead billed us for a china set. Didn't pay attention since I am just happy to get out of Costco for under $500. They had us wait until they issued a refund.

I've started using the app on my phone to scan/pay and typically the receipt checker just makes sure to scan my barcode before I exit.

Originally Posted By: Reddy45
I've started using the app on my phone to scan/pay and typically the receipt checker just makes sure to scan my barcode before I exit.

This. Being able to skip the checkout lines makes the shopping trip more bearable for me.

Besides checking to make sure you paid for big ticket items, The main reason for marking your receipt is so you cant take it back into the store and reload your basket with the same items and use it to exit the store again.

I can use the "Scan and Go" App at Sam's Club and head to the door.

At CostCo they pay someone else $17.00 an hour to scan my stuff while I stand in line (long lines at times) at the register.

Guess where I go most...........

Originally Posted By: Blkstanger
Besides checking to make sure you paid for big ticket items, The main reason for marking your receipt is so you cant take it back into the store and reload your basket with the same items and use it to exit the store again.

Also some people toss their receipt on the ground, some homeless were getting receipt and shoplifting items... only to return to try and get the cash for a return.

Originally Posted By: BJD78
I know the receipt check is on the contact, but if I just told them no there is nothing they could do, short of revoking my membership.

Last I read the terms of membership (I hesitate to call it a contract) it reads something like

"We will ask you for your receipt at the door".

They sure do ask!

IANAL, but once you pay for stuff, it's yours. For them to prove shoplifting they have to see you select the merchandise then keep eyeballs on you the entire time between then, the cashier where you pay (or don't) and then walk out the door.

If they set their store up poorly and you have to walk 50 yards between paying for your stuff and leaving the exit, why is this on you?

Also, liquor, prescriptions, eyeglasses, do not require a membership at all. Then you do not have ANY obligation to prove ownership to the door bouncer.

I had a cart full of stuff at Costco last year including a $90 Air-Fryer. The guy signed the receipt and I got home and thought the receipt might be a little low. Turns out they never scanned it. Oh well.

Originally Posted By: Nick1994
I had a cart full of stuff at Costco last year including a $90 Air-Fryer. The guy signed the receipt and I got home and thought the receipt might be a little low. Turns out they never scanned it. Oh well.

Hardly something to be proud of.

The continuing decline of morals and values in Society, is the root cause of most of our problems today. From killing sprees at Schools, to theft.

Originally Posted By: eljefino
Originally Posted By: BJD78
I know the receipt check is on the contact, but if I just told them no there is nothing they could do, short of revoking my membership.

For them to prove shoplifting they have to see you select the merchandise then keep eyeballs on you the entire time between then, the cashier where you pay (or don't) and then walk out the door.

It varies in different jurisdictions- is some places willfully concealing merchandise even without leaving the store is considered shoplifting.

But Costco employees are miles above Sam's Club in my area. I have both I'd like to but can't really drop one- each has things we buy the other doesn't.

Originally Posted By: 02SE

The continuing decline of morals and values in Society, is the root cause of most of our problems today. From killing sprees at Schools, to theft.
It's not a Mom n Pop store, I'm not driving back to $129 billion dollar per year revenue Costco so they can charge me for an air fryer.

Originally Posted By: 02SE

It's not a Mom n Pop store, I'm not driving back to $129 billion dollar per year revenue Costco so they can charge me for an air fryer.

So in your opinion, theft under some circumstances is a-okay..

There's really nothing more to say.

Costco receipt checkers in my area are diligent. I was there when one party with a full basket of small items got pulled aside. They had two bunches of bananas but paid for one, $1.59 or something. A manager became involved and verified. The customer started screaming and threw the bananas.
banana2.gif

I know some of you will think this idea nuts, but by the letter of the law, all the receipt checkers can legally do is look at the line items on the receipt and that the price charged was correct. They cannot dig thru your cart and handle your goods. It’s a fourth amendment violation, because these stores have trained loss prevention teams and cameras. If they suspected you of conversion, the most they could do legally is detain you until law enforcement arrived to review the alleged evidence and investigate. It is none of their d@mn business what you buy at their store. And on the off chance that the clerk DID miss scanning something, as long as you did not knowingly conceal anything for the purpose of stealing it, the only recourse the business has is to recover the loss from their employee, not you. If you got something “for free” and didn’t try to return it for monetary gain, it’s the business’s responsibility to control their inventory. BTW I’m in no way condoning theft but I stand by my statement it is the business’s responsibility.

This is how our rights are eroded- small, simple things that make the masses believe letting a complete stranger search your personal effects is OK... then we get things like ‘sneak & peek’ and nobody realizes constitutional protections have just been subverted right under our noses.

I absolutely do not allow a person to check my receipt at any store I go to.... besides Sam's club. Its part of the membership contract, so I allow the dog and pony show. Actually, I use scan and go at Sam's and bypass the checkout lines, which is incredibly convenient. I hope more stores go to that.

But Wal-Mart or any other store is not checking my receipt. I paid for the items. They belong to me. I do not have to prove ownership to someone. If you think I have shoplifted and you believe you have probably cause to detain me, then go ahead and do that and we will file a police report for false imprisonment when the cops get here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back