Can 5w/20 be used in a 17 Silverado 5.3

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wondering if I can use 5w/20 Penzoil Ultra instead of 0w/20 without problems in my 17 Silverado 5.3. Ive read that the 5w/20 has better Nowack specs which would help in deposits on valves. Is this worth doing or am I over thinking this. Appreciate the help

Stick with the 0W20 while the Silverado is under warranty. Warranty concerns aside, the Pennzoil Ultra 5w20 should be fine. How cold does it get in Billings?

It is a Bitog tradition to not use what the owners manual suggests because we are all smarter than the GM engineers. Keep in mind the engines were redesigned for 2014 to get rid of the problems with the AFM system and the 0W-20 Dexos oil was part of that solution.

A friend has a 2014 Silverado with 100K and his engine performs great. He changes the oil every 10-15K with M1 0-20.

Originally Posted By: mtlineman
Wondering if I can use 5w/20 Penzoil Ultra instead of 0w/20 without problems in my 17 Silverado 5.3. Ive read that the 5w/20 has better Nowack specs which would help in deposits on valves. Is this worth doing or am I over thinking this. Appreciate the help

Overthinking it. Both are syn 20 weights. Use the 0 in the winter and 5 in the summer if it makes you feel better.

if it truly has a lower NOACK there is not difference in using it unless the temps are lower than 0 Fahrenheit. personally would run 0w20 if temps were expected to be below around freezing and 5w20 the rest of the time. although the difference is minimal.

Originally Posted By: Snagglefoot
It is a Bitog tradition to not use what the owners manual suggests because we are all smarter than the GM engineers. Keep in mind the engines were redesigned for 2014 to get rid of the problems with the AFM system and the 0W-20 Dexos oil was part of that solution.

I recommend Edge 0W40!

girlfriends 13 malibu 2.5 was drinking the dexos spec oil 5-20, now very happy om mobil I 10W30 in Pa. 50,xxx miles + no carbon issues YET, she drives slowly + lots of short trips so i am concerned even though its her $$$

Originally Posted By: Snagglefoot
It is a Bitog tradition to not use what the owners manual suggests ...

lol that's why I joined the club. conspiracy theory ...
this CAFE thing makes everyone suspicious including me
smile.gif

I have a 2014 Silverado 5.3 with 100,000 miles. Used pretty hard. I always changed the oil with pennzoil platinum 0w20 at 5,000 miles since new. Since the 1st oil change it always used 1qt in 5,000 miles. At around 90,000 miles it started using 1.5 qts. Then I switched to 5w30 amsoil and the truck uses no oil at all and seems to be quieter and much happier. No scientific data or analysis done, but you can bet I will never go back to 0w20.

Use SAE 0W-20 viscosity grade for
the 5.3L and 6.2L V8 engines. Use
SAE 5W-30 viscosity grade for the
4.3L V6, and 6.0L V8 engines.

Interesting how the grade jumps..

I lived outside of Billings on the plains, and I have a photo of the bank thermometer showing -32f in the winter. That’s without wind chill. So 0W is definitely warranted.

Use 0w-20! Especially if that’s what the truck was spec’Ed with. I’d switch to Mobil 1, based on PQIA data showing M1 has substantially better viscosity ratings at -30c than PUP. Heck, even M1 5w-30 has better -30 ratings than most 0w oils. The PP and PuP 0w-20 cold viscosities aren’t that great.

Originally Posted By: mtlineman

As long as the oil is Dexos1 certified you will be fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back