504.00 and low sulfur gas in Canda

Status
Not open for further replies.
The thought on this board is that higher ash content oils aka full saps provide better protection than low ash oils aka low saps. Lower ash oils slow down the progress of intake valve deposits.
If you have a VW or Audi stating it can use a VW 504 oil, your probably safe to do so with the fuel supposedly having very low sulfur content for a shortened interval rather than the typical VW 10K miles/15K kilometers.

If your engine is meeting Euro IV emission requirements, yes.
Otherwise, not really.
welcome2.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Joeseef
I just want to confirm that our since gas in Canada is now low sulfur (14 mg/kg), 504.00 is now a better choice to use then 502.00 spec oil?
Here is the link I was reading about the sulfur content...
https://www.canada.ca/en/environment-cli...r-gasoline.html

thanks

What car? Depending on the car. If you think you will gain anything by using VW504.00/507.00 and it is not warranted in that engine, you will not.
VW504.00/507.00 has some very strict requirements when it comes to wear. But not so much when it comes to NAOCK and oxidation. If you still want to use VW504.00/507.00 make sure that oil also meets MB229.51 and BMW LL-04 specifications.

I just want to confirm that our since gas in Canada is now low sulfur (14 mg/kg), 504.00 is now a better choice to use then 502.00 spec oil?

thanks

According to that link, you may still see fuel with up to 80 mg/kg. I would not be switching to low SAPS yet.

Quote:
Alternatively, gasoline producers and importers can elect to apply a pool average sulphur limit, in which case the pool average limit becomes 10 mg/kg, with a never-to-be-exceeded batch limit of 80 mg/kg.

And the list of companies participating in the pool average system:

Quote:

Chevron Canada Limited
Consumers’ Co-operative Refineries Limited
Elbow River Marketing USA Ltd.
Énergie Valero Incorporated
Greenergy Fuels Canada Incorporated
Husky Oil Operations Limited
Imperial Oil
Irving Oil Refining GP
Irving Oil Commercial GP
Morgan Stanley Capital Group Incorporated
Les produits pétroliers Norcan S.e.n.c
North Atlantic Refining Limited
Rolympus (US) Commodities Group, LLC
Shell Canada Products
Shell Trading Canada, an Alberta Partnership
Suncor Energy Products Partnership

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: edyvw

thanks

What car? Depending on the car. If you think you will gain anything by using VW504.00/507.00 and it is not warranted in that engine, you will not.
VW504.00/507.00 has some very strict requirements when it comes to wear. But not so much when it comes to NAOCK and oxidation. If you still want to use VW504.00/507.00 make sure that oil also meets MB229.51 and BMW LL-04 specifications.

Car is a 2016 Golf R and I would like to run a 504.00 spec oil because I read that it helps with the reduction of carbon buildup on the intake valves.
Direct injected motors in Europe don't nearly have carbon buildup issues we have because they use better fuels and 504.00 spec oil. That's my theory anyways.

Last edited:

thanks

Car is a 2016 Golf R and I would like to run a 504.00 spec oil because I read that it helps with the reduction of carbon buildup on the intake valves.
Direct injected motors in Europe don't nearly have carbon buildup issues we have because they use better fuels and 504.00 spec oil. That's my theory anyways.

502 is a fixed interval product where 504 is a long drain interval product. I've always been under the impression that 504/507 is backwards compatible to all previous to previous 502/505 specs even 505 01 with the pump duse injector engine???

VW uses dual injection on the engines in Europe. Here in NA, we don't get that. I would say the North American engines lacking this feature is a bigger reason for the carbon buildup than the oil type used.

thanks

Originally Posted By: drtyler
VW uses dual injection on the engines in Europe. Here in NA, we don't get that. I would say the North American engines lacking this feature is a bigger reason for the carbon buildup than the oil type used.

In addition, ECU fuel map is different in Europe due to different emissions requirements. The cars in Europe run leaner fuel mixture, which results in hotter running engines. There is some speculation that running hotter actually helps prevent some of these deposits from forming.

All in all, there are so many variables that it's hard to tell what effect (if any) the 504.00 oil vs 502.00 oil has on deposits.

thanks

You will not gain much when it comes to prevention of carbon build up in Golf R using VW504.00/507.00.
Better fuel is not responsible for less carbon as well as VW 504.00/507.00 Many European countries use VW502.00 (especially in Eastern Europe) in those engines. Like Quattro Pete said, it is direct/port injection as well as lean burn that is responsible for less carbon (EU has higher NOx limits).
I personally would use VW502.00 in that engine, preferably Castrol 0W40.
If you are dead set on VW504.00/507.00 use Mobil1 5W30 ESP or Amsoil 5W30 that is approved for VW 504.00/507.00.

Last edited:

FWIW I am using the 504/507 PP EURO LX 0W30 in my 2018 Golf R.

Originally Posted By: 21Rouge

That is the oil I want to use in mine.
What OCI are you using?
Is it dealer approved since it isn't 502.00?

What OCI are you using?

The manual for our 2018 R specifies any oil that meets 502 or 503 or 504. (The engines for the 2016/17/18 are identical).

What OCI are you using?

The manual for our 2018 R specifies any oil that meets 502 or 503 or 504. (The engines for the 2016/17/18 are identical).

503? Jesus that spec is long dead. VW never fails to deliver.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back