100% Mechanical vehicle

Status
Not open for further replies.
Would like to know What vehicles still out there that are all mechanical. No solenoids, no electronic anything. Seems like I am always tracking down and replacing these POS gadgets that leave U stranded. Would like a simple fuse box and nothing else! Most likely looking at something pre 1975 I am guessing. Someone told me the Cummins 12 valve would be a candidate. Anything else? How about the square bodied Chevys? How about something smaller? Any cars?

Old Mercedes diesels.
The turbo fives even offer what almost resembles acceleration.

Originally Posted By: fdcg27
Old Mercedes diesels.

LOL

Is that downhill?

Old Mercedes diesels.

This was one I was wondering about. R they hard to find, what years?

Originally Posted By: Donald
All vehicles will have at least one solenoid for the starter unless you go back to crank start.

I could deal with one

What vehicles have you owned like this?

The only reliable stuff I have owned was 1990+ when electronic fuel injection replaced those horrific carbs. I have NEVER been stranded in 26 years driving a Subaru or Honda product.

If you get an older diesel with a mechanical fuel pump..the dreaded seals and o-rings will eventually get u.

Find an older ford truck or van with the 300 6 cylinder. It will run on budweiser and stripper glitter.

The only thing electronic about a 1978 Cadillac Sedan DeVille 7.0L V8 was the HEI distributor, but that can easily be replaced with a breaker ignition because there's no computer to upset. You don't have to go all the way back to the Model T to get all mechanical.

I was going to say the same, something old and diesel that has a mechanical injector pump.

There is probably a solenoid on the injector pump to stop fuel from entering when the key is switched off.

Anything gasoline will have an electronic ignition to say the least, unless it was pre-1972 give or take.

The model T suggestion was good. No starter solenoid if you hand crank it.

Old Mercedes diesels.

I think I'd rather stick with early 90's Japanese tech, simple cars with good usability, reliability, and mileage. No body control modules or integrated radio/HVAC controls.
Get a manual and the starter becomes optional.

Originally Posted By: krismoriah72
If you get an older diesel with a mechanical fuel pump..the dreaded seals and o-rings will eventually get u.
Find an older ford truck or van with the 300 6 cylinder. It will run on budweiser and stripper glitter.

The older Cummins diesels with Bosch VE pumps will last forever, if a little lube is added to the fuel.

Originally Posted By: javacontour

There is probably a solenoid on the injector pump to stop fuel from entering when the key is switched off.

Yes, but they really never fail.

The older Cummins diesels with Bosch VE pumps have a "fuel cut off lever" on the side that works just as well.
Same as in Case tractors.

I have a Cummins in my F250 with a manual trans.
I can start it rolling it down a hill and popping the clutch in 3rd.

No electrical system required whatsoever.

On an old Benz diesel, there is indeed a mechanism to pull out the rack and stop the engine, but it's vacuum operated and not electric. The engine has a pump to supply vacuum for this as well as the brake booster and central locking.
There's also a mechanical "emergency stop" under the hood and the earlier cars had engines stopped by pulling out a knob on the dash.
Fully mechanical indeed.

Maybe you hang on to your cars a bit too long. I drive them many miles but have not replaced a solenoid in probably 20 years...

Originally Posted By: krismoriah72

I had a 1990 f150 w the 300 i6 and loved it but the computer eventually went out on it! I have 2 1994s now, one f150 w 5.0 POS and a 4.0 Ranger that I love.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back