Which 0w-40 is MB 229.51 Approved?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Which one? Mobile ESP 5w30 has a sulphated ash of .6. 0w40 has .8. Do I sacrifice the better ash for a thicker oil in the summer? I do not understand most of the other specs, so any help would be appreciated. Roger

2010 Mercedes R350 Bluetec diesel requiring 229.51

Originally Posted By: RogerBacon
Which one? Mobile ESP 5w30 has a sulphated ash of .6. 0w40 has .8. Do I sacrifice the better ash for a thicker oil in the summer? I do not understand most of the other specs, so any help would be appreciated. Roger

2010 Mercedes R350 Bluetec diesel requiring 229.51

STick to 5W30 ESP.
HTHS of 5W30 ESP is 3.58.
HTHS of 0W40 is 3.53.
5W30 will actually provide better protection for you turbo.
As for kinematic viscosity, 5W30 ESP is 12.1 and 0W40 ESP is 12.9. Not a lot of difference there and as long as HTHS is strong, you are good.

Roger, Valvoline has a 229.51 approved product...I used it when I had a 3.0 diesel Sprinter in the fleet. It tested better in UOA better than the Mobil approved product available at the time (ESP-M).Look on the second page of this PDS and you will see 29.51 and .52 product. Any NAPA or Valvoline distributor in Canada can get this oil. Just make sure they order the MST variant. I ran the 5w40 and never had issues in the cold or heat...it was a pretty decent oil.

Valvoline PI Sheet

To be sure...I'd call Valvoline's 1-800 number...they are nice folks...and get the exact part number so some dummy at NAPA doesn't get you the wrong stuff. It used to be VAL996 but that was the old SynPower branding...likely changed.

Originally Posted By: PiperOne
Roger, Valvoline has a 229.51 approved product...I used it when I had a 3.0 diesel Sprinter in the fleet. It tested better in UOA better than the Mobil approved product available at the time (ESP-M).Look on the second page of this PDS and you will see 29.51 and .52 product. Any NAPA or Valvoline distributor in Canada can get this oil. Just make sure they order the MST variant. I ran the 5w40 and never had issues in the cold or heat...it was a pretty decent oil.

Valvoline PI Sheet

To be sure...I'd call Valvoline's 1-800 number...they are nice folks...and get the exact part number so some dummy at NAPA doesn't get you the wrong stuff. It used to be VAL996 but that was the old SynPower branding...likely changed.

I used Valvoline 5W40 MST. It is great product but not on par with Mobil1 5W30 ESP.
MST has sulfated ash at 0.76 while M1 ESP is at 0.6. M1 ESP has NOACK at 5.6% while Valvoline is at 10%.
DO not get me wrong, MST is great thing (I still have 9 quarts on shelf that I will use this summer) but not on par with this ESP. ESP-M is different oil.

I have to agree with edyvw. M1 5w-30 ESP is at the top of the heap as far as saps and noack.That is the oil I use in my diesel cruze. Now its broken in I will be doing 10,000 mile oci's.I think this is THE best low saps oil on the market.

Last edited:
All I know is the Valvoline didn't burn off like the Mobil (none vs 1 to 2 qts of M) and the oxidation and TBN numbers were better with the Valvoline as well as other numbers...while the Mobil was pretty much spent. It's an option.

Originally Posted By: edyvw

Valvoline PI Sheet

I used Valvoline 5W40 MST. It is great product but not on par with Mobil1 5W30 ESP.
MST has sulfated ash at 0.76 while M1 ESP is at 0.6. M1 ESP has NOACK at 5.6% while Valvoline is at 10%.
DO not get me wrong, MST is great thing (I still have 9 quarts on shelf that I will use this summer) but not on par with this ESP. ESP-M is different oil.

Talking to an elderly driver last night at airport (glad he spoke good English = Greek looks/sounds, uh Greek to me) ... he had some M1 0w40 in trunk … 1.2 million Km using that oil in 2007 MB diesel (original motor)… said it burns a little but it’s entitled to at this stage
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: 4WD

Valvoline PI Sheet

Talking to an elderly driver last night at airport (glad he spoke good English = Greek looks/sounds, uh Greek to me) ... he had some M1 0w40 in trunk … 1.2 million Km using that oil in 2007 MB diesel (original motor)… said it burns a little but it’s entitled to at this stage
wink.gif

2007 was able to run on M1 0W40.
2009 and after must use 229.51. and we in the U.S> never had ESP version of 0W40 until apparently this year.

Originally Posted By: 4WD

Valvoline PI Sheet

wink.gif

2009 and after must use 229.51. and we in the U.S> never had ESP version of 0W40 until apparently this year.

So that’s around 745k miles and counting … lives in the city …

wink.gif
... [/quote]
2009 and after must use 229.51. and we in the U.S> never had ESP version of 0W40 until apparently this year. [/quote]

Saw him today … he was happy to show off his new E220 … oh well I had hoped to track him north of 745k

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Originally Posted By: Snagglefoot
Mobil 1 FS 0-40 European Car Formula. Might be at Canadian Tire.

SF

M1 FS 0w-40 does not meet MB 229.51 spec. But the upcoming M1 0w-40 ESP will.

M1 5w-30 ESP meets it also.

Upcoming? Seriously? Did not hear that.

Yeah it's now the factory fill in the Corvette's with a Dexos 2 approval. There is some speculation that it will be reformulated in the US though and not the current European version of the product.

Originally Posted By: Flying_A
Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Originally Posted By: Snagglefoot
Mobil 1 FS 0-40 European Car Formula. Might be at Canadian Tire.

SF

M1 FS 0w-40 does not meet MB 229.51 spec. But the upcoming M1 0w-40 ESP will.

M1 5w-30 ESP meets it also.

Upcoming? Seriously? Did not hear that.

Yeah it's now the factory fill in the Corvette's with a Dexos 2 approval. There is some speculation that it will be reformulated in the US though and not the current European version of the product.

Yeah I saw numbers. Nothing special whatsoever. Actually, HTHS is lower then M1 5W30 ESP.

Originally Posted By: 69GTX
Which explains why Castrol Edge 0w-40 (Euro) went back to lower calcium, high magnesium mix 1-2 years ago.

Not true. EDGE 0W-40 is still high calcium. There's plenty of recent UOAs to show that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back