Corolla Verso 2004 1zz-fe - Best oil

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pre

Hi,

I have a Corolla Verso 2005 1.8 VVT-i (1zz-fe). The car is using about one liter of oil per 1000 km driven. I have also tried seafoam in the crankcase for 180 km, and fed it thru the vacuum line and added to the gas. It did not help with the oil consumption. I have also raised the oil level to 10mm above the max on the dipstick.

Probably the engine is affected by the oil eating problems common for this engine. I suspect that the valve rings are stuck and therefore it is eating oil. Today I checked the PCV-valve, it made rattle sounds when I shaked it. But it was greasy from oil, so I have ordered a new one from the local Toyota dealer which will be here in two days.

I’m also thinking about trying Auto-RX Plus with Castrol GTX Ultraclean 10w-40 for 4000 km and see if it helps.

Per now the car has been using Castrol Magnatec ACEA A5/ API SN (Fully synthetic) 5w-30 which is the recommended oil from Toyota. I have read in forums that using dino/semi synth and thicker oil than the recommended weight will clog up the piston oil ways, and deposit gunk in the motor and valve rings. So I’m a bit skeptical to da a cleaning with Castrol GTX Ultraclean 10w-40 and Auto-RX Plus.

Does anyone have experience with this problem? And what oil does the 1zz-fe like (to not eat).

If anyone is interested the car's VIN is: NMTER16R90R013994
Milage: 126.000 km
Production date is mid 2004 in Turkey plant.

Last edited:
I have a 2008 Corolla with that same engine and 110K miles....it seems to like 5w30 best and burns no oil in 5 to 6K of usage. I would try a MM or Seafoam soaking of the pistons (thru the spark plug holes) to see if it loosens up the rings.

I had the 1ZZFE in my old 2003 Pontiac Vibe .
I had good results by using just SN rated 10W-30 oils.
Especially Chevron Supreme 10W-30 .

Didn't consume nearly as much as it did on 5W-30 oils, especially Mobil 1 , it drank that stuff like it was going out of style.

Don't know if you have access to Texaco/Havoline/Chevron oils.

Changing out the pcv valve might help as well.

Last edited:
The L4 is a perfect candidate for a piston soak. Get some GM 88861803 Upper Engine and Fuel Injector Cleaner from a GM dealer.
Do this before changing the oil, pull the plugs and make sure all pistons are down a little.
Put 4oz down each hole and screw the plugs in lightly then leave it overnight.

Disable the fuel and ignition (pull fuses), remove the plugs and crank the engine a few turns to push any remaining out of the plug holes.
Put it all back together and change the oil. Start it up let it warm then run it hard for a few min.

Thanks for the tip, can i use anything other than the GM cleaner? I'm in Norway and here there is not a lot of GM dealers. Also, how do i know if all the pistons are down a little?

Thank you! I dont have access to those oils but i will try a European brand 10w-30
smile.gif

Can't find any oil with that name. Is it the same as Castrol Edge?

Originally Posted By: Pre
Thanks for the tip, can i use anything other than the GM cleaner? I'm in Norway and here there is not a lot of GM dealers. Also, how do i know if all the pistons are down a little?

Kerosene, marvel mystery oil, seafoam, breakfree clp, berrymans b12 chemtool.

I’d use the berrymans or something like it

You can find the pistons with a small wooden dowel, or welding rod, even a screwdriver inserted into the spark plug hole.

My 2004 Toyota Corolla started using oil after my OIC at 112K had never used oil before. It used a cup in the first 400 miles on QSUD 5w-30. I checked the PCV and it was pretty grimy. I didn't bother cleaning it because it had 30K on it. I swapped it out and the oil consumption stopped. It used a total of a little less than a half quart in 5030 miles. I just completed another OIC and used Valvoline 5W-30 Full Synthetic with Maxlife I'm approaching 1K on that oil change now with almost no oil consumption. Car now has 118258 miles on it. Seems to really like the Maxlife.

Last edited:
Opel in europe is now owned by the PSA group, but that happend recently. Will have a try at the Opel dealer 😊

Great! I will get the new pcv valve tomorrow. Hope it fixes it, i will also try Valvoline max life, but i can only find 5w-40 where i live. Will it be okay or should i find something else with 5w-40?

Originally Posted By: Pre
Great! I will get the new pcv valve tomorrow. Hope it fixes it, i will also try Valvoline max life, but i can only find 5w-40 where i live. Will it be okay or should i find something else with 5w-40?

Check your local Walmart on line for a $35 order they will ship direct to your house.
It's $21.47 here online.

Changed my PCV valve today, will give a update over the weekend. Going to have ha 500 km drive.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back