2017 Subaru Crosstrek CVT failing?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wife has the above car with about 15K miles on it. this weekend we went for a trip to the in-laws near Plymouth Mass and I noticed after it was warm the CVT was making a pretty loud whirring, jet engine spooling kind of sound.

Just thowing it out there if any newer Impreza owner had issues with their CVT. In previous rides I have been impressed with the trans; it locks up the converter immediately once rolling and has a good solid connected feel to it. This is a link belt:" chain" PULLER pulley system ( in contrast to the JATCO pusher belt).

An NO! I never work on the car or serviced it or even DROVE it
smile.gif

Is the noise now present all the time or only after warmed up? In other words, does it go away after cooling down?

Engine mounts, drive pulleys, tensioners, etc. could cause whirring noises. My wife's old '04 Civic sounded like it a had an exotic turbo, with a drive pulley whirring as the engine speed increased past 3k RPM

I would be headed to the dealer. Then the complaint gets logged into the system. They might already have a TSB on it.

Report it to the dealer ASAP (and SOA as well, if needed)

I have 2015 Forester. I am not too sure if its same transmission but every Subaru owner between 2014-2016 got warranty extension on their transmission. I got it last August or something. SOA doesn't claim that they are failing but the warranty is extended to 100K miles or 10 years whatever comes first.

Drive shaft Carrier Bearings? I know the Acura MDX would make a whirling noise after it warmed up could hear the noise bouncing off the curb next to me. Had it replaced and it took care of the problem.

The CVT in my 2012 Legacy made a definite whirring type noise. My 2016 Forester CVT does not. Dealer will likely do nothing if it performs normally and is not setting any codes. I don't have it to quote at the moment, but I believe it says in the Subaru OM that this type of noise is normal.

Last edited:
they DO NOT extend warranties for no reason!! issues prolly exist + or sales are being hurt by wary buyers!!! its said fluid changes are necessary + $$$$$

Go immediately to the dealer. Based on their answer/response consider a second opinion from an independent shop. Keep notes, contact information and dates. Be prepared.

Originally Posted By: ARCOgraphite
Wife has the above car with about 15K miles on it. this weekend we went for a trip to the in-laws near Plymouth Mass and I noticed after it was warm the CVT was making a pretty loud whirring, jet engine spooling kind of sound.

Just thowing it out there if any newer Impreza owner had issues with their CVT. In previous rides I have been impressed with the trans; it locks up the converter immediately once rolling and has a good solid connected feel to it. This is a link belt:" chain" PULLER pulley system ( in contrast to the JATCO pusher belt).

smile.gif

If you have never driven it, how do you know that the noise you are hearing isn't normal? Every vehicle has characteristic noises that are normal for that vehicle, so a noise that you are not familiar with in a vehicle you have never driven may not necessarily mean that there is a problem.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: wag123

smile.gif

If you have never driven it, how do you know that the noise you are hearing isn't normal? Every vehicle has characteristic noises that are normal for that vehicle, so a noise that you are not familiar with in a vehicle you have never driven may not necessarily mean that there is a problem.

Him pointing out that he hasn't driven it is due to his history on here. He's destroyed many a vehicle via his merciless flogging so he was putting that out there to indicate that this was not the case with this vehicle. I don't believe he was implying in any way that he was ignorant on whether the noise was normal for the vehicle or not.

I have ridden in the car before and I did not recall any loud whirring. Loud noises may be typical but not "normal" - A way for the dealer to ignore warranty issues.

I'll ride in it again this weekend if I get a chance. Its her car, her money so I cant worry about her stuff to the extent I did in the past anymore.

I don't fit in the drivers-seat the car is too small for me.

TROUTFISHER:
This car is really peppy - you may benefit by an ECU reflash. This is not the DI engine.

TROUTFISHER:
This car is really peppy - you may benefit by an ECU reflash. This is not the DI engine.

Troutfisher's is the 5spd manual. Totally agree with what he said. My 2014 XV Crosstrek 5spd was also a dog. Poor ratios and a horrible clutch made it awful to drive.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back