2010 Accord New Battery

Status
Not open for further replies.
The original OEM Panasonic was replaced 4 years ago with another OEM battery by Honda (covered under warranty).

This second battery has been getting sluggish lately. I put it on a charger this week, but this morning, she wouldn't start. So I took out the anemic OEM 51R battery (400 CCA's) on my lunch break
and purchased a bigger (24F) East Penn/Deka battery (Napa Legend Premium....725 CCA's). I only buy East Penn batteries. This thing comes with a 7 year warranty.

I'll install it later tonight when I get home from work.

Last edited:
That's the course of action to take.
My Accord came with a 51. After 1 winter, I went with a 35. No problem since.
I will probably put a 24 in when the AAP Gold I put in it goes south.

I've been looking at battery size upgrades on my 2015 Accord with the 51R. I've heard lots of people doing the swap, but does the stock alternator have enough output to charge a larger battery reliably?

Originally Posted By: Bottom_Feeder
I've been looking at battery size upgrades on my 2015 Accord with the 51R. I've heard lots of people doing the swap, but does the stock alternator have enough output to charge a larger battery reliably?

I went with a 35 because later in the '12 model run, they switched to them in the 4 cyl. Accord.
A 51 in that application is woefully inadequate.

The size of the battery should have no effect on the alternator. The output stays the same, it just takes longer to fully charge it if it's dead. Otherwise if the load is the same, it wouldn't even notice. The larger battery just means you have a longer reserve time and maybe the larger battery is better made or because it has more of a reserve, doesn't get drained as much and hence last longer because the more you drain a battery, the shorter the life.

Nice work, Phishin! I did the same 24F upgrade in my 51R equipped Element. 4th year on that battery, doing great.

Originally Posted By: Wolf359

The size of the battery should have no effect on the alternator. The output stays the same, it just takes longer to fully charge it if it's dead. Otherwise if the load is the same, it wouldn't even notice. The larger battery just means you have a longer reserve time and maybe the larger battery is better made or because it has more of a reserve, doesn't get drained as much and hence last longer because the more you drain a battery, the shorter the life.

Yep, very few downsides to a larger battery. Weight is one. I guess technically, if you happened to totally drain your battery, the alternator will have to work harder to fully recharge a larger battery compared to a smaller one, but that's not generally good for the alternator even with the smaller OEM sized battery - you should top it off with a separate charger.

Originally Posted By: Phishin
The original OEM Panasonic was replaced 4 years ago with another OEM battery by Honda (covered under warranty).

This second battery has been getting sluggish lately. I put it on a charger this week, but this morning, she wouldn't start. So I took out the anemic OEM 51R battery (400 CCA's) on my lunch break
and purchased a bigger (24F) East Penn/Deka battery (Napa Legend Premium....725 CCA's). I only buy East Penn batteries. This thing comes with a 7 year warranty.

I'll install it later tonight when I get home from work.

The Walmart Everstarts are exactly the same. No more Johnson Controls.

Is there a list somewhere of who sells what batteries? I was told that O’Rileys is East Penn, NAPA is east Penn, but Walmart and optima and Bosch were all Johnson Controls

Last edited:
Not always true Donald...

Especially in this circumstance. Where a quite small group 51r battery was once located. A much larger group 24f in the same place makes this a different situation all together. It is not like a group 51r and 24f are all that close in size and weight. Much more weight and size with that group 24f.

In my car I can get a group 24f in my battery space. But the East Penn group 24f weighs 42 plus pounds. The group 35 weighs 35.5 pounds. A 51r I bet weighs less than 33 pounds or less.

Last edited:
I looked at possibly doing this for my 07 Accord., went with the stock 51r a few years ago.
The cars been to the Sioux, North bay (to name a few) sitting for a few days in extreme cold, -30-40c..
Starting has been slower but the car starts reliably every time.
I figure if it can start reliably in those conditions, a larger, heavier and more expensive battery for me, is not needed.
Others needs may vary though.

I know East Penn batteries review well (both on here and places like Consumer Reports), but I don't like the idea of not being able to inspect the electrolyte level. I purchased one of these when I sold my Civic to a family member, but that's because he likely won't ever check the level, anyway.

Originally Posted By: gathermewool
I know East Penn batteries review well (both on here and places like Consumer Reports), but I don't like the idea of not being able to inspect the electrolyte level.

Don't have any personal experience with the battery in the photo, but it looks like that top panel with the "NAPA Legend" sticker is removal to allow people to check the electrolyte level.

Originally Posted By: Chewie
I know East Penn batteries review well (both on here and places like Consumer Reports), but I don't like the idea of not being able to inspect the electrolyte level.

Don't have any personal experience with the battery in the photo, but it looks like that top panel with the "NAPA Legend" sticker is removal to allow people to check the electrolyte level.

Yeah, if you pull the sticker there are little caps and you can check. Same as the lawn tractor batteries.

Originally Posted By: ford46guy
Originally Posted By: Chewie

Yeah, if you pull the sticker there are little caps and you can check. Same as the lawn tractor batteries.

Huh, good to know. I guess I know which battery I'll be going with next! Thanks, guys.

UPDATE:

The 24F fit no problem. I stopped by AAP and got a longer hold down bolts for battery.

But HOLY COW....I had no idea my old battery was so weak. Now when I go to start my Accord, the starter spins so much faster, the engine starts so much better. The comparison is isn't even close. I'm so glad I upgraded to this larger battery.

I know East Penn batteries review well (both on here and places like Consumer Reports), but I don't like the idea of not being able to inspect the electrolyte level.....

Same here. I like to be able to inspect the cell electrolyte level too. I read the comment here that label can be removed to do that, however seeing the two side vent tubes seems unlikely, 'imo'. That said, it's just a personal preference and at this point the WM Everstart Maxx, still J Controls here, would be my choice.

As for using 51R as factory equipment, I'd have to agree that generally speaking it's too small for 2.4L Honda. And apparently replacement with 24F not uncommon. There's good thread on the topic I've looked at before, that if desired shows how to use Honda oem parts on an Accord to make a factory like retrofit for the 24F.

http://www.driveaccord.net/forums/86-9th-generation/377026-battery-replacement-upgrade.html

Originally Posted By: Sayjac
There's good thread on the topic I've looked at before, that if desired shows how to use Honda oem parts on an Accord to make a factory like retrofit for the 24F.

http://www.driveaccord.net/forums/86-9th-generation/377026-battery-replacement-upgrade.html

There's really nothing to it. I used the factory bracket that spans across the top of the battery. I just had to buy longer "J" bolts from AAP for $3. Oh, and the bracket had two tabs that needed bent flat with a pair of channel locks. It was super easy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back