Mercedes GLA class 2014+

Status
Not open for further replies.
In my search for a safe vehicle, my efforts to get an X5 have been rebuffed by my wife who insist that we need to try a Mercedes. So I have landed on the choice of getting a GLA.

I don't have any experience with Mercedes but the consensus seems to be that they are the more reliable of the German 3 (Audi, BMW and Mercedes). But these things are built in Alabama and in my experience, the German vehicles not made in Germany are of lower quality standard than the ones built there.

My guess on the transmissions is that they are ZF and should be very reliable. The engine I'm looking to get is either 4.7 or 5.5 liter V8. Not sure how reliable these are.

My intention is to get something near 100k miles and keep it until 300k miles. So I need something that is able to reach that age without becoming a beater in shambles.

Any experiences about the GLA class?

Hahaha you want something that'll last to 300k and you want a BMW/Mercedes/VAG, fine, but it's gonna cost you a pretty penny to fix and maintain if you go European. I see these types of vehicles every day in our parking lot at the auto parts store here in Marin where European vehicles are more popular than in most places and plenty of them have EXPENSIVE repairs near 100k miles, and high mileage ones are RARE! Even ones that don't have any problems use oil and if you want the manufacturer-approved oils it's like $10-13/qt LOL. These are beautiful vehicles that are a pleasure to drive but I would NEVER want to own one outside of warranty.

You want an SUV that'll get you to 300k at a price you can afford, you'll want something like a Ford Explorer or Expedition (non-EcoBoost) , Chevy/GMC Tahoe/Suburban/Yukon, or whatever Toyota/Honda SUV you like as long as it's not turbocharged or Hybrid or anything like that, though Toyota/Honda hold their value far too well to get a good deal.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Alfred_B
The engine I'm looking to get is either 4.7 or 5.5 liter V8.
You are not going to find these engines in a GLA.

GLA comes with a 2-liter turbo 4.

Were you thinking of GLE possibly?

@dogmeme, I already have an Audi that has 215k miles.

I have no interest in Ford, Chevy or Honda.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
You are not going to find these engines in a GLA.

GLA comes with a 2-liter turbo 4.

I can't edit it. It was supposed to be GL 450 or GL 550

You are not going to find these engines in a GLA.GLA comes with a 2-liter turbo 4.

I can't edit it. It was supposed to be GL 450 or GL 550

It all depends on how well the MB has been maintained. maintenance records are paramount in this case. MB-Audi & BMW follow a european maintenance schedule which is much more intense than what we are accustomed to, the engineers make minimal concessions to the marketing department and so they schedule for maximum performance & reliability. There are some problems with MB better to google and see what they are, if you go ahead and don't want to pay through the nose for service, find a good & reputable mechanic to service the Benz.

300k on a newer Mercedes? I'm sorry, but that's not gonna happen.

If I were buying a newer German car, it'd be a BMW.

Originally Posted By: dogememe
Even ones that don't have any problems use oil and if you want the manufacturer-approved oils it's like $10-13/qt LOL.
If you shop around, it's a lot less. Castrol 0w-40 often goes on sale at WM for $21 for a 5qt jug and meets the MB 229.5 spec.

With that said, I do agree that getting 300K miles out of a modern MB can get pretty expensive. But it sounds like OP has some experience in that department already.

Originally Posted By: Nick1994

I ended up with Mercedes because BMW seemed to have more electrical glitches and the car I liked was just easier to find.

Originally Posted By: Wolf359

I ended up with Mercedes because BMW seemed to have more electrical glitches and the car I liked was just easier to find.
BMW interiors look incredibly cheaply made as compared to Mercedes-Benz.

Originally Posted By: dogememe
Hahaha you want something that'll last to 300k and you want a BMW/Mercedes/VAG, fine, but it's gonna cost you a pretty penny to fix and maintain if you go European. I see these types of vehicles every day in our parking lot at the auto parts store here in Marin where European vehicles are more popular than in most places and plenty of them have EXPENSIVE repairs near 100k miles, and high mileage ones are RARE! Even ones that don't have any problems use oil and if you want the manufacturer-approved oils it's like $10-13/qt LOL. These are beautiful vehicles that are a pleasure to drive but I would NEVER want to own one outside of warranty.

Mobil 1 or Castrol is fine and they're on sale all the time. I'm actually probably going to do the Mobil 1 rebate with the Mobil filter, should be about $18 after rebate for 5 quarts, but mine takes 8.5. Mobil makes oil for MB, mine has a sticker under the hood recommending Mobil. They're a little more expensive that normal, but mine haven't been that expensive to own. They're certainly fun to drive.

Originally Posted By: Pelican
It all depends on how well the MB has been maintained. maintenance records are paramount in this case. MB-Audi & BMW follow a european maintenance schedule which is much more intense than what we are accustomed to, the engineers make minimal concessions to the marketing department and so they schedule for maximum performance & reliability. There are some problems with MB better to google and see what they are, if you go ahead and don't want to pay through the nose for service, find a good & reputable mechanic to service the Benz.

The GL is one of their top of the line cars, now it's the GLS in the new model. GLA is the most basic one, then GLC, GLE and GLS at the top which was GL before. I think in 2014+ they had heated and cooled cup holders! Anyway, standard maintenance is one a year with Service A or B and then whatever recommended maintenance may be, those direct injection engines seem to need more frequent spark plug changes. You can buy service packs from MB up to 80k, best deal seems to a 3 pack at the even numbered service intervals which is every 10k. Sometimes the 3 service package cost the same as one of the major B services. But if you have a cheap indy, it's probably still cheaper to go to the indy.

Anyway, you can get the VMI from the dealer, it's the Vehicle master inquiry and tells you all the work that's been done at an MB dealer. Most of the dealers will give it out, but you usually have to go in person, most don't seem to give it out over the phone. Two other main sites to check are mbworld.org and benzworld.org, those places would have a lot more details about a particular model.

Also if buying a car, I always liked MB for having a vin decoder available www.datamb.com, you punch in the VIN and you can see what options the car has. Most dealers are clueless as to what the car actually have. Saying it has a moonroof is pretty worthless when they all have that as standard. Try this site and select features to see what option codes were available that particular year:
http://www.motortrend.com/cars/mercedes-benz/gl-class/2014/

I like the driver assistance package and lighting package. It's probably hard to find a GL450 that has other stuff like the pano roof, keyless go, parktronic, massage seats, etc unless you jump up to the GL550.

Originally Posted By: 2015_PSD
May be a matter of taste or it varies by model. I found my wife's previous '08 C300 interior to be fairly cheap looking, but that was just an entry level MB. I like BMW 3-series interior better. IMO, Audi has them both beat when it comes to interior.

May be a matter of taste or it varies by model. I found my wife's previous '08 C300 interior to be fairly cheap looking, but that was just an entry level MB. I like BMW 3-series interior better. IMO, Audi has them both beat when it comes to interior.

Depends whether you have real leather or fake leather. MB has something called MB-Tex which is a vinyl like synthetic leather. Real leather is nice, the fake stuff is pretty close though. I think depending on the type, it's another 1.5-4k option on the GL.

@Wolf359, thanks for the great post.

It seems like the air suspension is the biggest issue facing these cars and it's recommended to see the car when it's cold -- the the back is sagging it means the suspension is bad.

Not sure how DIY friendly it is to change them.

Especially once the nickel and dime repairs start adding up. Buying a high mileage luxury car is problematic.

I can't understand the logic. Must be a perceived status thing...

@Wolf359, thanks for the great post.

It seems like the air suspension is the biggest issue facing these cars and it's recommended to see the car when it's cold -- the the back is sagging it means the suspension is bad.

Not sure how DIY friendly it is to change them.

You can get aftermarket Arnott. They're not that bad in terms of price. Labor should be about the same as any car. There are probably videos on Youtube,

https://www.arnottindustries.com/product...ds-w-o-amg/2014

The latest ones seem ok, not as bad as the previous generation, but maybe that has something to do with the mileage not everyone is up there yet, they usually gave out in around 80-120k in the older E class. I'm going to assume it's probably the same on the GL.

When the rears sag, it's either the air spring or you have a leak in the lines. If you ever find it low, make sure you fix it soon, otherwise it gets worse because the air pump ends up burning out from running all the time. There are probably youtube videos about how to do them or they may be burried in some old posts in those forums I mentioned, I've seen them around, some say they're simpler than OEM.

Originally Posted By: 390pi

Especially once the nickel and dime repairs start adding up. Buying a high mileage luxury car is problematic.

I can't understand the logic. Must be a perceived status thing...

Not really, they're just fun to drive when it has lots of options to play with.

They're not that much more than a regular car. And just because you read the forums, it doesn't mean that all the problems mentioned happen to you. I remember reading car forums on other cars I had and I think only about 1/3 of the stuff happened to me. Most of it was just the most common stuff, the more rare stuff, a few did, most didn't.

I don't think too many people drive them to 300k, maybe some of the older models, but the ones I drive, there's some reporting 150-180k. Lots of people have a lot less on them.

Originally Posted By: Wolf359

I actually think BMW has nicer interiors than Benz.

Originally Posted By: Mr Nice
Affluent folks get a new Benz or BMW every few years once the warranty is up and they get bored of the vehicle.

Or they just lease them. After 3 years, they're pretty cheap. I can't really figure out how they even make money because usually the residual is higher than what the market value is, so people just turn them in and lease a new one. They they go off to auction and you can buy them for less than the residual. So those MSRP numbers are sorta fake in that they probably take two beatings on those numbers, once when it's leased and another when it's returned. You can lease a new E class for $539 a month, sometimes you see specials at a little under $500.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back