Metal shavings in fram filter

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was changing the oil in my 2000 Z-28. When filling the filter some oil went into the smaller holes and some very tiny metal shavings could be seen.

I know these should be caught by the filter but I did not like what I saw.

Not bashing fram here just posted to see if anyone has seen the same thing even in other filters.

I'm confused. You're supposed to fill the filter through the small holes. Although most have an anti drainback valve so this makes it hard to do.

I always fill through the center hole.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: motor_oil_madman
I'm confused. You're supposed to fill the filter through the small holes. Although most have an anti drainback valve so this makes it hard to do.

You're not supposed to fill the filter through the outside holes, but you certainly can if you want to make things messier and way harder on yourself!

Where do you guys get this stuff? Jeez.

Originally Posted By: cven

+1 Same here. Fat chance I am trying hold the ADBV open so I can oil on the "dirty side" of the filter so no damaging particles from the new oil go right into the oil galley. Bull dinkies.

The person said some oil went into the small holes, not he was filling through the small holes. The person also said he wasn't bashing Fram.

I know this post is about the shavings but I’ll stir the Bitog hornets next. I don’t bother filling the filter anymore. It’s enough to be crawling underneath the car to worry about keeping the filter vertical while doing it. That filter fills up with oil in less than a second. Just another A retentive bitog procedure. Flame suit on!

Last edited:
I think fram may not media tumble after thread chasing so may be some particulate. I would prefer to see a clean tap with no curly's.

I Fill in center hole but only 1/3 to 1/2. Btter to send some oil don't to the pump with a squeeze bottle on horizontal applications ( like my Nissan) Do I do that? No. But I do fill down to the pump on the Subaru FB series - easy with the vertically mounted up side down on top of the engine - Just pour it in before screwing down the filter
smile.gif

Me too. Any other way is going to yield a mess. I'm not about to force the ADBV open and risk damaging or ruining that.

Originally Posted By: demarpaint

Me too. Any other way is going to yield a mess. I'm not about to force the ADBV open and risk damaging or ruining that.

When I do, it will be through the outlet hole. No mess and no risk of damaging the ADBV.

Always inspect and clean the filter mounting threads and base plate just to be safe. I can often find some kind of debris regardless of filter brand. I'll even remove and clean the base gasket and groove.

Ya.... I always clean the threads but this stuff was under the baseplate and I'd never found it if I didn't spill some oil in the inlet holes.

Ya.... I always clean the threads but this stuff was under the baseplate and I'd never found it if I didn't spill some oil in the inlet holes.

If it's under the base plate on the ADBV side then it will be trapped in the media.

I always look at an oil filter's threads (if it has threads) to make sure they are clean. Numerous times, I've seen slivers of metal on the threads of new oil filters. Simply take a rag and pick or wipe the threads clean.
As far as filling oil filters, I always do if it's possible, but it's definitely not a requirement. I've got a '98 Ford F150 with the 4.6 engine that has a factory remote filter that sits between the bumper and the front left wheel. This has got to be the easiest oil filter ever to change, with the exception of oil filters that sit on top of the engine. You can kneel down and unscrew it and then screw it on without your jeans touching the ground. I sometimes worry that somebody just walking by my truck will see it, bend down and unscrew it just to be a jerk.
I've also got a '98 Ford Ranger with the 3.0 engine. You can't pre-fill the filter at all because you have to tilt it, lay it on it's side and put it upside down before you R&R this filter, but it also sits at a 45° angle when screwed to the block.
Your tiny metal shavings probably just didn't get cleaned up properly during the manufacturing process.

I always clean threads & baseplate; I fill filter, allow oil to soak into & thru media, and invert filter to allow excess to drain out

Nothing to see here, move along, all done. Just wipe the threads out with an old rag, don't cut the fingers. There is a thread where a beautiful Purolator Classic is being discussed, go and put your torn Purolator pics up and let's have a look at them.
laugh.gif

I'll keep an eye out for this on the Suzuki filters for my bike, these have plastic over the open end.

It could be something that most filters have but I never noticed until my oil filling aim got so bad...LOL

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back