Solar 4XS tires

Status
Not open for further replies.
My step son traded in his old 2002 Buick Century and purchased a 2011 CRV with 110K back in Oct of 2017. Overall a nice vehicle with very well kept and extensive service records. The tires that were on it when he bought it are Solar 4xS that are about a year old and were purchased at a Walmart. He said they have done well through the rain ,snow and ice that we have had so far. About 10k on the tires thus far. This summer he is planning on a 2 week trip west to Wyoming then on to Oregon and then down the coast to San Diego and then back. They seem to have good tread, but he is not sure if he trusts them for an extended drive in the mountains and the desert heat as he comes back through Southern California. Arizona and NM . I have never heard of that brand but a quick look at the Wall Mart web site reveals that they sell them for about $50.00 per tire I told him that if I was going on a long trip like that in the summer heat in the mountains and desert I would be more confident with a tire like Goodyear, Hankook, Continental, Cooper or Michelin or some other name brand tire. About $20.00 to $30.00 more will put one in the major name brands even at Wal Mart. My Mom used to run Wal Mart Douglas tires for years but she rarely traveled more than 50 to 100 miles outside of her home in Fargo. Anyway anyone heard of that brand Solar or used them for long cross country trips?

Well....I can assure you assure that there are cheap Chinese tires running up and the the I-15 corridor between Salt lake City and Los Angeles. Many are on big semis (double coin tires, etc.,) Others Chinese brands I have seen on passenger cars at rest and gas stops. However-what your saying is that the tires have 10,000 miles on them-so they have proven satisfactory thus far.

If if it gives you piece of mind replace them. However-also make sure the rest of the vehicle is in decent shape as well.

Here in the west there can be long stretches of......nothing-and 100plus temps.

If they have been fine for the last 10k miles, why would they all of a sudden be an issue for a 2 week trip? Just because a tire is cheap doesn't make it unsafe.

I was far happier with the "Triangle" brand generic Chinese tires I had on my Envoy for a while than I am with the brand new Hankooks (supposedly name brand and decent) that the Ford dealer put on my Escape. If the tires work and you've been happy with them so far, why worry about the label on the side?

That is the thing it does get very hot especially on that I 10. I have been out there also in summer and many many blown out tires litter I 10 from Palm Spring to LA. He was in the Marines and was stationed at San Diego later at 29 Palms Marine base and drove the old Buick century out on I 10 many times during the desert heat, but he always had major brand tires on like Goodyear or Cooper and the like. For this long trip he is likely going to move up into the name brand area and sell the Solars. The CRV 4 bangers is in pretty good shape, though he does plan on changing the belts and upper and lower radiator hoses before he takes off which is IMO a good idea. I have heard of double coin tires, Doral is another brand that I have seen around here on many used car lots. I suppose the car dealers want to put the cheapest new tire on they can and those Chinese brands are what they go for

I've had better luck running GT Radial than Michelins ...

As long as there's no odd cracking, belts are good and they have good tread I'd run them.

Originally Posted By: BJD78
That is the thing it does get very hot especially on that I 10. I have been out there also in summer and many many blown out tires litter I 10 from Palm Spring to LA. He was in the Marines and was stationed at San Diego later at 29 Palms Marine base and drove the old Buick century out on I 10 many times during the desert heat, but he always had major brand tires on like Goodyear or Cooper and the like. For this long trip he is likely going to move up into the name brand area and sell the Solars. The CRV 4 bangers is in pretty good shape, though he does plan on changing the belts and upper and lower radiator hoses before he takes off which is IMO a good idea. I have heard of double coin tires, Doral is another brand that I have seen around here on many used car lots. I suppose the car dealers want to put the cheapest new tire on they can and those Chinese brands are what they go for

Just to be clear-99.9% of the tire pieces your seeing on the I-10 are from "recapped" big rig tires.

Exactly, and not a good situation to be near a truck when a retread comes flying off at 75mph. I was quite fortunate to only come away with a broken driver's side mirror and a dent in the driver door as a result of a retread that came off and hit my Tuscon. it happened so fast and I had zero reaction time. Sounded like someone hit my door with a 20 lb sledge hammer. That was near St Joseph MO in 2016. Defiantly a dangerous issue for everyone traveling especially during the hot months. Recaps just do not hold up in the extreme heat. Surprised that DOT allows them. Also the tire remnants are a danger as these black "road gators" are difficult to see at night, often you cannot see them until you are nearly on top of them and driving over them can cause damage as well, but many times people have no choice.

The tires have a 45k tread wear warranty, 400 utqg, traction rating A, Temperture rating A. The local tire dealer here has them and recommended them over some slightly more expensive Mastercraft MC-440 tires. I've seen them on cars in parking lots around here and they look fine. They're owned by a huge tire company that is known for making decent tires. I'd run them a good 40k as long as they don't develop issues. They seem to be more of a performance all season so they should do better in higher temps not worse.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back