How is the Fram ultra oil filter selling?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: edwardh1
Does anyone know,??? I use one ultra with 3 5000 mile dino oil changes.
saves messing with the oil filter

Sounds like they are selling 1/3 as much as the original OCOD...
grin.gif

I run them for 2 OCI's of ~8k miles.

I'm sure some FRAM bean counter is kicking themselves...

The filter in our Forester is a pain in the rear to get at, so I plan on using a long life filter like the ultra for 5k OCI.

Originally Posted By: BJD78
The filter in our Forester is a pain in the rear to get at, so I plan on using a long life filter like the ultra for 5k OCI.

Can go twice that, any filter can go 5k.

It seems the Ultra is sold out about 1/3rd of the time I go for a filter at Walmart. It’s more likely to find the Extra Guard or Tough Guard.

Originally Posted By: rooflessVW
There are plenty of people, I assure you, using an Ultra for single 3k-5k OCIs.

3,750 since that is what warranty requires. As long as I can get for $5 will continue to use.

Have to "ask Jay." I would say they sell most to the DIY crowd. I don't know anyone who changes their own oil anymore, except myself. I have a feeling many cost conscience oil change shops tend to help outsource USA jobs to China by making that extra penny selling Chinese made oil filters. When they have a choice not to.

Originally Posted By: WellOiled
It seems the Ultra is sold out about 1/3rd of the time I go for a filter at Walmart. It’s more likely to find the Extra Guard or Tough Guard.

That’s because the Ultra’s are getting stolen.

Got 3 of the FU on hand. These are a great filter. I just changed oil only yesterday as filter only had 5000 miles on it but had enough already opened qts to fill the 3.7qt sump. No more open qts missing that little bit from topping off.

I'm not buying any more Ultras. Fram EGs with the new silicone ADBV works for my 5-6K OCIs.

I used to keep upper shelf filters on for two OCIs (one year). Not anymore.

Fram claims the Ultra gets 99% of 20 microns.

Is there a filter that can compete? because that is why I buy a filter.... to filter!

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Vern_in_IL
...that is why I buy a filter.... to filter!

Stop making so much sense.
laugh.gif

Originally Posted By: Vern_in_IL
Fram claims the Ultra gets 99% of 20 microns.

Is there a filter that can compete? because that is why I buy a filter.... to filter!

The filter bypasses for a large portion of its life... like at startup and acceleration when cold.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back