Toyo or Hankook or Uniroyal?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am in the market for a decent quality, quiet and comfortable tire. I really don't care about mileage as I won't drive enough to hit any 60,000 or 80,000 mark in six or seven years. I don't need sports car handling and I don't need snow capability as I have a Jeep Wrangler for bad weather. I have narrowed it down to Toyo Extensa A/S, Hankook Optimo H724 or Uniroyal Tiger Paw AWP II. Any thought on which is best, or other recommendations? Thanks.

My last pair of Toyo tires didn't wear that well they were suppose to be a 100K time and at 60 something they were pretty well worn.

Uniroyal's I have never had good luck with them nor have my friends.

I got some Hankook Optimo H725 in September and they are almost ready to rotate again. They are appearing to wear pretty well so far. Got them at Wally World on sale for 60 something. I really like the looks of the Hankook Optimo 727 they are $82.70 at the TIRERACK with a $50 rebate. UTQG: 700 A B

With the roads here, the AWP II and Toyo are out... (POP! :/)

Hankooks would be okay....had good luck with my Cooper CS5s...

Maybe a set of CS3s?

The Asian tire brands seem to use soft compounds. I had an old set of Kumho tires that were almost silent but lasted 30k before needing replacement.

So based on that the Hankooks would get my vote.

Look into Mastercraft (lower end cooper). I have had them on cars, trucks and SUVs..they wear well and never had any issues.

Originally Posted By: Reddy45
The Asian tire brands seem to use soft compounds. I had an old set of Kumho tires that were almost silent but lasted 30k before needing replacement.

So based on that the Hankooks would get my vote.

Last I knew Hankook was Korean making it an Asian tire

Out of those three, Toyo.

However, the Cooper CS5 Ultra and General Altimax RT43 are very popular on here, and can be had at a great price when DTD has those holiday promos a few times a year.

Les Schwab tries to pass off Toyo as a "premium" Tier-1 tire in the likes of Michelin/Bridgestone/Conti. They are an OEM supplier to Toyota, Nissan but I think they're more of a high-2nd tier.

Toyo does make a good tire, but they tend to weathercheck and harden up like a Michelin when they get older. Toyo's mainline is an afterthought to what's considered "hot and trendy" - in the 1990s-2000s, Toyo was all in the ricer scene. Now, their bread and butter are the bros who cringe at taking their lifted F-250s off road as intended.

Last edited:
Thanks for the responses. It seems no one likes Uniroyal. I will check out the Toyo and Hankook along with Cooper and Mastercraft.

Originally Posted By: Building3
I will check out the Toyo and Hankook along with Cooper and Mastercraft.

Look into some Pirelli tires. Very highly ranked without the high price. Check out this link:

https://www.ebay.com/rpp/6506?_trkparms=%26clkid%3D2299867534451930096

And this one to save $100:

https://www.ebay.com/rpp/6506?_trkparms=%26clkid%3D2299867534451930096

What kind of vehicle are what size are you looking for?
Uniroyal isn't a bad tire but the Awp2 Is a older design I would at least go with the Uniroyal Tiger paw touring wouldn't be afraid to use that at all. Uniroyal has a a awp3 in Canada and in US eventually.

ive owned hankook and Uniroyal and Ill never own hankook again,worst garbage I ever drove on
but the Unyroyals were pretty impressive

Hmm, sounds like someone was looking for WW tires almost as those still have some available as I have looked for 215/75x15 tires for the 67 Park Lane. Lucky if they did 10,000 miles in 10 years.

Originally Posted By: Excel
ive owned hankook and Uniroyal and Ill never own hankook again,worst garbage I ever drove on
but the Unyroyals were pretty impressive

I have 20K on my Hankook's now zero issues and they are wearing well H725's.

I have the hankook 724s on an old mercedes w123. It is a very comfortable tire (with a 75 series sidewall) but is also very lightweight and soft. It squeals on modest corners. It's about as close as we can get to the classic 1930's "balloon tire".

For only several hundred dollars more you could have Michelins. The greatest tires in the world........

Unless you live in the sunbelt....then they are not the greatest.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back