A/C leak repair tools/supplies list

Status
Not open for further replies.
Working on a 2005 F-150, 50,000 miles, it has a slow A/C leak. Putting together a list of tools and supplies to do the job.

Manifold gauge set
Vacuum pump
dye
planning to add about an ounce of oil, PAG 46
Can or 2 of R134a

Does this look complete?

Is the system empty? How do you plan on recovering it? If you know it's empty, just replace the part that's leaking and take it to a pro to have them evac and recharge it. It's like $120 at most places, sometimes $99. You'll spend more than that in tools just to do the job at home.

No, I don't know what's leaking, that's the purpose of the dye.

I don't know if it's empty or not, will find out when I get the gauges.

Last edited:
From investigating dye vs detector, the cheap detecters are hit/miss, hate to rely on cheap tools. The dye isn't very expensive, I decided to go that route.

Originally Posted By: topsy
From investigating dye vs detector, the cheap detectors are hit/miss, hate to rely on cheap tools. The dye isn't very expensive, I decided to go that route.

I have a detector (two of them actually) and yes they are not as easy to use as it seems. Generally for leaks I just look for an oil stain on some part, if it is the condenser then dirt will stick to the area that is leaking. On hoses it is usually at the crimped connection and you can see it there, same for the compressor (look around the shaft seal).

If it is the evaporator that is one place that a detector can come in handy, you check near the condensate drain outlet. But typically if you don't see any obvious leaks anywhere visible then the most likely suspect is the evaporator. Those sometimes get clogged with leaves and dirt which when mixed with the condensate it can corrode the aluminum pretty bad.

Many cars are charged with dye at the factory. Take one of the service caps off and see if there is dye. A "blacklight" CFL bulb can be used to make dye leaks easier to find.

In
Originally Posted By: mk378
Many cars are charged with dye at the factory. Take one of the service caps off and see if there is dye. A "blacklight" CFL bulb can be used to make dye leaks easier to find.

Interesting, I'm going to investigate this

Get a good blacklight. Most cars I have seen do come with dye from the factory.

Good luck finding the leak! I've always found it to be extremely difficult to find any A/C leaks. No oil, no dye, noting on the detector!

Originally Posted By: zzyzzx
Get a good blacklight. Most cars I have seen do come with dye from the factory.

Good luck finding the leak! I've always found it to be extremely difficult to find any A/C leaks. No oil, no dye, noting on the detector!

My Rav4 has an A/C leak. I've used dye, special flash light, yellow glasses and can't find it. Maybe the OP will get lucky but I've had no luck with it.

I replaced the schreader valves and the fill caps, when I did mine. I used the Slime brand tool to remove them. You will also need vacuum pump oil. I got a loaner vacuum pump from autozone that was brand new. You will also need a can tap and a digital kitchen scale to weigh your refrigerant cans.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back