Blasting intake valves DI goo with walnut shells

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't have any cars with DI, but I suppose my next might have it. I already have plans to install an oil catch can when I drive it home.

This video only make me want to install it even more..I want to be proactive instead of reactive.

Very common on the early BMW with DI. The newer engines don't really have this issue though, largely due to the lack of engine vacuum in the intake (no throttle body). The engines are now run on an internal vacuum pump, like a racecar dry sump system, so the valves don't really get that dirty anymore.

Last edited:
Walnut shell blasting has been utilized for decades to clean deposits on intake valves. As a matter of fact, BMW used the process extensively in the mid '80s as part of a massive engine service campaign when the substandard U.S. fuels available at the time caused chronic intake valve deposits. That led to BMW developing an intake valve deposit test as a result.

Originally Posted By: Andy636
That's kinda silly, at least do it with some dry ice that lets no residue behind.

The walnut burns right off. Smells great, too.

Originally Posted By: Andy636
That's kinda silly, at least do it with some dry ice that lets no residue behind.
How much would it be using dry ice, the protective equipment, and the machine?

Walnut blasting is easy as long as you have the intake port adapter, and walnut won't sublime if you wait around too long.

I will eventually have to do this on my 1.6 EcoBoost, despite having a good OCC/air-oil separator (albeit NOT as HUGE as that Full Race one in the post above-that would take up 3/4 of the engine bay in my car!!), and using ONLY Shell V Power top tier fuel, and the lowest NOACK, and lowest calcium containing oils I could find, from day one of new ownership.
frown.gif

Since Ford does not offer this service at all, I will go to Custom Performance Engineering (a MazdaSpeed/Ecoboost tuner) near Baltimore when the time comes.
Their tech there also confirmed that whatever little residue which is left in the ports is harmless (even for a turbo GDI setup), and DOES smell GREAT once the car is started up after the procedure.
smile.gif

That stuff works. Used in conjunction with a PEA based cleaner like it says to and it did its job on my GDi Hyundai. No squirrels or chipmunks lost a meal over me getting the valves/throttle body cleaned. Best GDI cleaner on the market!!

I looked at a 2018 Hyundai Elantra Sport with a 1.6 turbo GDI engine. The intake manifold is in a position that should make it a snap to remove and clean the intake valves if and when it needs done.

Originally Posted By: Marco620
That stuff works. Used in conjunction with a PEA based cleaner like it says to and it did its job on my GDi Hyundai. No squirrels or chipmunks lost a meal over me getting the valves/throttle body cleaned. Best GDI cleaner on the market!!

How exactly would the PEA based cleaner they suggest (or are they referring to something other than the SI-1, Regane, or Techron fuel system cleaner fuel additives?
21.gif
) help clean the backs of the intake valves on a GDI engine setup?

Every person (and tech, mechanic, and tuner) I speak to about the CRC GDI intake tract spray product, who HAS actually used it, says that yes, it does help somewhat, but absolutely CANNOT clean off the valve backs/stems the way a shell media blasting CAN (and DOES).

What a mess ... glad I don't own a DI vehicle. Some engines are now using both DI and port FI in order to keep the intake valves clean.

Originally Posted By: dailydriver
Originally Posted By: Marco620

How exactly would the PEA based cleaner they suggest (or are they referring to something other than the SI-1, Regane, or Techron fuel system cleaner fuel additives?
21.gif
) help clean the backs of the intake valves on a GDI engine setup?

Every person (and tech, mechanic, and tuner) I speak to about the CRC GDI intake tract spray product, who HAS actually used it, says that yes, it does help somewhat, but absolutely CANNOT clean off the valve backs/stems the way a shell media blasting CAN (and DOES).

Completely true. No modern car with a dry manifold will evenly distribute liquids to each cylinder. Some will get cleaned, others will not.

Also worthwhile to note that both Porsche and Toyota are on record as saying the extra injector(s) in their DI engines are to help with part throttle cylinder filling issues, a known problem with DI in some applications.

And then there are the many DI engines that simply do not cake up at all ever. Seems like some Mfgrs have solved that issue...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back