2009 Hemi valvecover removed!

Status
Not open for further replies.
2009 Ram Laramie Hemi with 140k. Was helping my stepson replace all 16 flippin spark plugs due to a miss. Pulled the 2nd coil only to find the holes essentially filled to the brim with 5W20. A quick trip to AZ got the correct gasket set, and returned to the garage until well after midnight to get it operational again. Boy, how I miss the days of when it was so easy to pull a VC on my 5.0s....

Anyways, I was actually really impressed with how clean the Hemi was. He got the truck around 130k, so unknown oil and OCI prior to this. I suggested he go to a 5W30 HM oil to give a little more protection and hopefully keep those gaskets pliable. Thankfully, the much more difficult driver's side was all dry at this point. Enjoy!

You should have replaced the grommets on the bolts while you had it off. Those grommets get hard too and don't keep enough pressure on the valve cover.

Yeah Kira, they do not get my vote. The driver's side took over an hour just to change plugs because everything is packed in under the brake booster. I'd hate to see what's required to actually pull the driver's VC... that would definitely rank as a "pay somebody else to do it" job... PITA

Originally Posted By: Kira
2 sparky-poos per cylinder? That's an aircraft engine!
Not exactly. These engines didn't have 2 plugs per cylinder as a form of backup. Instead, they were used to get cleaner combustion.

I don't know if it's cleaner with two plugs... they all had some deposits, some more than others. Much more than my Fusion at 99k miles, and per displacement, they make about the same power (within 4HP adjusted for engine size). And when I found Dodge expects them to be replaced every 30k, well, holy dung beetles. No thanks!

To paraphrase: "That thing got a Hemi?" "'Shore do! :)" "I'll pass, thanks!"

Originally Posted By: SubieRubyRoo
I don't know if it's cleaner with two plugs... they all had some deposits, some more than others. Much more than my Fusion at 99k miles, and per displacement, they make about the same power (within 4HP adjusted for engine size). And when I found Dodge expects them to be replaced every 30k, well, holy dung beetles. No thanks!

To paraphrase: "That thing got a Hemi?" "'Shore do! :)" "I'll pass, thanks!"

When you have a large bore and a chamber that doesn't do low-speed swirl well, dual-ignition is an effective aide. If it wasn't, they wouldn't have gone to the trouble of fitting it.

The 2009 should be the 390HP variant of the venerable 5.7L, which is roughly 68.5HP/L, a figure that is quite decent for a truck engine, it also makes 407lb/ft of torque. My 6.4L is roughly 74.5HP/L. Considering the 3V 5.4L Modular of the same vintage made 320HP, or ~59.5HP/L comparing truck to car engines is a bit misleading.

I agree on the change schedule though, that was ridiculous but I believe no longer the case across the board, as my interval is like 3x that.

2009 Hemi =5.7L / 395HP
2011 Fusion = 2.5L / 175HP
Fusion 2.5 extrapolated to 5.7L = 399HP

Nothing earth-shattering since my 2001 Forester made 165HP from 2.5 as well, so 10 years plus DOHC only gained 10HP. Of all 3 engines the Fusion is by far the easiest to change plugs on
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: SubieRubyRoo
2009 Hemi =5.7L / 395HP
2011 Fusion = 2.5L / 175HP
Fusion 2.5 extrapolated to 5.7L = 399HP

Nothing earth-shattering since my 2001 Forester made 165HP from 2.5 as well, so 10 years plus DOHC only gained 10HP. Of all 3 engines the Fusion is by far the easiest to change plugs on
smile.gif

Yeah, that's pretty close actually, LOL!

I hear ya on the ease of plug changing. The ones on the Expedition were NOT fun with the rear heater and A/C lines running over top of the. Extensions and universals came in handy there. I think the easiest ones were on our Focus. They were just "right there". Out they came, in went the new ones, it was like an 80's snowmobile, LOL

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back