My engine knocking...video inside...

Status
Not open for further replies.
The long story short is that I got this car (2000 Accord 4cyl) from a friend awhile back, he got rid of it because it started making this noise (nearly instantly) during the short time he owned it. I don't blame him, I would of gotten rid of it also!

Anyway, I have driven this car over 13K miles in this condition. It has not gotten worse. Here is a list of what it is NOT-

-It's not valve adjustment as I have checked/adjusted it twice.

-It's not a timing component as I have replaced the timing belt, water pump, etc.

-It's not the balance shafts, as I have removed the belt and it did not change. It may of gotten a little better with the belt removed but that is probably in my head.

-I do not think it's a rod bearing, as it does not change at all when removing spark plug wires one at a time. I have even run the engine without a spark plug at a time, no change.

-It does not change warm or cold. It may be a little worse cold, but not much at all.

-I have had a UOA done, and it did not show wear that suggested something is failing.

-It's not the camshaft loose.

-The flexplate to tq converter hardware is tight.

Honestly, I think it's a wrist pin, bad piston slap, or perhaps flexplate/tq converter related. Not too worried about it as it's not worth taking stuff apart to search for it (the car is not worth that effort), but it is hard not to wonder.

Anyway, here is the video.

https://youtu.be/kn-0hdLCBzQ

-Travis

For whatever it's worth, I have seen other videos on youtube of Accords of the same era, making the same noise, however no cause was mentioned.

It sounds like something in the exhaust system...somewhere up close to the engine. Maybe a heat shield?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Char Baby
It sounds like something in the exhaust system...somewhere up close to the engine. Maybe a heat shield?

This would be my guess also.

Originally Posted By: Char Baby

The entire exhaust is brand new sir (noise was there before and after).

Originally Posted By: Snagglefoot
If you like, you might throw in a bottle of STP oil treatment, the old style with the consistency of honey, and see if it can quiet it down. Also, have you tried a 10W-40 weight oil?

I have tried many additives (mostly for fun), and I currently run 40 or 50 weight oil. It seems quieter with thicker oil but it could be in my head.

How much of the exhaust got replaced? Sounds like an exhaust leak between the manifold and front pipe.

Could also be a leaking exhaust valve. Have you done a compression test?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: mightymousetech
How much of the exhaust got replaced? Sounds like an exhaust leak between the manifold and front pipe.

Could also be a leaking exhaust valve. Have you done a compression test?

As stated above, the entire exhaust is new. This is not an exhaust leak.

I'm pretty sure that's the same sound my old Accord has made for the past 125,000 miles or more. Does it seem to be originating from the right (passenger) side of the engine slightly below the head?

It is interesting that you say it isn't related to the balance shafts, when I replaced the oil pump o-rings on my Accord this last summer I noticed that there seemed to be excessive axial play in the balance shafts but I wasn't sure. But if you removed the balance shaft belt and it still made that noise then obviously that isn't it.

On my car no oil grade has made any kind of difference in the noise. It is indeed somewhat worse when cold but it is still very noticeable when warm. And as your friend noted it did come on suddenly, got worse for a while, then for the past many miles it has stayed constant. I too have no other symptoms of a problem except the noise, the engine seems to work perfectly fine otherwise.

I too have a relatively new exhaust system (OEM Honda) and I even put on a new exhaust manifold thinking that might be the cause. It was not.

Like was asked did you do a compression or leakdown test?

Originally Posted By: kschachn
I'm pretty sure that's the same sound my old Accord has made for the past 125,000 miles or more. Does it seem to be originating from the right (passenger) side of the engine slightly below the head?

It is interesting that you say it isn't related to the balance shafts, when I replaced the oil pump o-rings on my Accord this last summer I noticed that there seemed to be excessive axial play in the balance shafts but I wasn't sure. But if you removed the balance shaft belt and it still made that noise then obviously that isn't it.

On my car no oil grade has made any kind of difference in the noise. It is indeed somewhat worse when cold but it is still very noticeable when warm. And as your friend noted it did come on suddenly, got worse for a while, then for the past many miles it has stayed constant. I too have no other symptoms of a problem except the noise, the engine seems to work perfectly fine otherwise.

I too have a relatively new exhaust system (OEM Honda) and I even put on a new exhaust manifold thinking that might be the cause. It was not.

Like was asked did you do a compression or leakdown test?

Thanks for your input! My problem sounds identical to yours.

The compression/leakdown are well within limits (leakdown was under 10 percent on all cylinders).

Bad motor mount? Revving the engine causes a sudden change in torque and vibration frequency. Have you had someone watch the engine with the hood up while you rev it?

Just a guess

I have no idea what might be causing the noise, but I doubt it's a bad bearing, it would have failed long ago if that was the case.
If you can put up with the noise, and the engine runs smooth and returns decent gas mileage, don't sweat it, but have a back up plan in case it suddenly leaves you stranded. If it does please let us know what was making the noise.

Claud.

collapsed piston skirt?
Loose core in primary cat?

Loose/cracked motor mount?

(Carefully) Open filter and look in pleats - UOA wont evidence catastrophic component failure - all that metal ends up in the filter, not the oil.
I had an EJ Subaru that did that and it was diagnosed as a wrist pin by a Subaru Master. I was not convinced of that.

Is it easy enough to drop the oil pan and look at the rod bigs?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back