Valvoline oils ditching sodium?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Since we saw a voa of VALVOLINE syn here that had zero or 0 sodium; is it safe to assume VALVOLINE is done using sodium?

Yup. Sodium seems to have been a casualty of meeting dexos1Gen2 and SN Plus, presumably because it can provoke LSPI.

Originally Posted By: Danh
Yup. Sodium seems to have been a casualty of meeting dexos1Gen2 and SN Plus, presumably because it can provoke LSPI.
Agree and if memory serves calcium will also be reduced or replaced in those oils seeking to meet D1G2/SN+

I couldn't locate this VOA, could you please direct me to it. I would love to check out their new numbers

Looks like Valvoline put moly back in their oils? Is this their newest vanilla "Synpower" (and not Maxlife)?

Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm
Looks like Valvoline put moly back in their oils? Is this their newest vanilla "Synpower" (and not Maxlife)?

I believe so

Thanks! I'm pretty surprised Valvoline dropped sodium. I wonder if the other house brands like napa, car quest, o'reilly, and federated will do, or have done the same?

Originally Posted By: NHRATA
Thanks! I'm pretty surprised Valvoline dropped sodium. I wonder if the other house brands like napa, car quest, o'reilly, and federated will do, or have done the same?

Very likely as sodium was targeted as a possible cause of LSPI. Since everyone has already or is reformulating for d1G2 sodium should be pretty much gone just like calcium levels have been lowered.

Originally Posted By: PimTac

Very likely as sodium was targeted as a possible cause of LSPI. Since everyone has already or is reformulating for d1G2 sodium should be pretty much gone just like calcium levels have been lowered.

And the solution to that is not buy a better oil but a better car.

My initial guess is yes, but that's pure speculation. However one data point, last week I purchased 2 cases of Napa Synthetic 0w20 for use in customer cars, both cases carry a Dexos 1 Gen 2 label so my guess is even the Napa house brand oils have been re formulated as well.

Yep and it seems to be following a 15 year trend where oils of today keep getting better & better, as-do engine designs to prevent things like sludge.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: FlyNavyP3

My initial guess is yes, but that's pure speculation. However one data point, last week I purchased 2 cases of Napa Synthetic 0w20 for use in customer cars, both cases carry a Dexos 1 Gen 2 label so my guess is even the Napa house brand oils have been re formulated as well.

LUKE: Thanks for your input and hope you are well
smile.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back