Motorguard filter

Status
Not open for further replies.
I managed to come across a Motorguard oil filter. It has a metal mesh in the top half although I can't see what it was for. After removing the mesh a standard toilet paper roll presses over the bulge in the center tube top half nicely. However there is no such fitting in the bottom half, it would be relying on the raised ring to block oil flow which I have doubts about. I think I have seen someone else using an O-ring here, any idea what size?

I did find what seems to be the right gasket:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0051XZM54/

I have some questions about the incarnations of Motorguard oil filters. The version I got has the crosshatching lines in the upper half ceiling rather than radial. Both forms seem to be different from what is in this picture:

Should I assume that Motorguard filters don't really fit most toilet paper rolls regardless of what vintage?

At first I didn't see how the oil would flow into the center tube at the top but after looking at some pictures I realized the top tube was probably pressed into the outer shell, leaving gaps for the oil to flow through. I put a flashlight into the shell and could see light behind the snap ring on the clamp nut.

Concerning oil flow, I am under the impression that there is a pressure valve in the oil pump in most cars that drains excess oil back into the crankcase, maintaining the post-pump pressure at some valve depending on oil thickness and RPM. So logically, the oil loss through the Motorguard will just be oil that is no longer flowing through the pressure valve, and the oil pressure should be about the same.

It seems to be pretty hard to find 4.5" toilet paper these days. This motorguard came with what I assume is a M-723 filter in it. I don't think it was ever used. There are no toolmarks on the bolts or mount and it's bone dry, with a light layer of rust on the center bolt.

Last edited:
I got some of that, but it was only 4" rolls. It could be that the dollar store I bought it from gets a pared down version, which is common for dollar stores.

I've been eyeing Boardwalk 6155 as a possibility if I can't find any in local stores.

Originally Posted By: keantoken
I got some of that, but it was only 4" rolls. It could be that the dollar store I bought it from gets a pared down version, which is common for dollar stores.

I've been eyeing Boardwalk 6155 as a possibility if I can't find any in local stores.

Boardwalk 6155 and the Kirkland brand 4.5" rolls work really well in the MotorGuard M100. The MotorGuard is designed to compress the roll when you tighten down the lid, giving you a denser filter. You might want to sleeve or oring the center tube to fit the larger center toilet paper roll 0f 1.6". Anyway there's lots of info on this site on the M100.:)

They are a bit fussy about fitting various different rolls, but as long as they are big enough to be squeezed in that is all that really matters. Too small is not good. I can't even remember the type I've been using lately, but they need about 15-20 rounds pulled off to fit.

Are you saying the sealing around the center tube is not critical?

I am going to connect everything together with 1/4" hose and 1/8NPT-to-slip-fit adapters with fuel line hose clamps.

Just out of curiosity, does anyone else suspect that the whole toilet paper compression thing was just a marketing ploy of the 30s? Does anyone in industry actually do this or has anyone compared particle counts between 4.25" and 4.5" rolls? The main reason I see for compressing the roll is simply to form a seal at the ends so that oil doesn't leak past it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back