FCA Leakiness

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nick1994

$100 site donor 2024
This is not a Chrysler bash thread, please don't make this into one.

Has anyone had leaking issues with Chrysler vehicles lately? 2 years ago I noticed my mom's 2012 Jeep Patriot's oil pan and timing cover was leaking pretty bad. They resealed them under warranty at the dealer. Then my grandmother's 2014 Dodge Grand Caravan had the same thing, those were resealed under warranty as well. My grandfather just bought a 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee and 4 days after buying it the radiator started leaking, it had a crack. Acura dealer replaced it for free. Then 2 days after that a radiator hose was leaking, had my mechanic replace them. My mom's Jeep Patriot now has a really greasy nasty CV boot. 3 weeks left on the warranty so we need to get it in. My grandmother's 2014 Grand Caravan has been sitting for 4 months now, and I noticed a drip on the ground. Transmission pan is leaking now, it's covered in oil.

Anybody else had similar leaks?

I've not noticed it being a FCA thing as a whole, but the 3.6-powered Caravans commonly leak from the oil cooler assy. (in the valley, will run out the end and down the transmission) and the tranny cooler lines which can drip onto the front trans. pan making it appear that the pan(s) are leaking.

Last edited:
Two of our three 2014 Dodge C/V Tradesman company work vans at around 110k miles with the 3.6 , leaked oil out of their oil filter housing assemblies.
Not covered under warranty.
The other one at 98k miles has no leaks what so ever.

Last edited:
No leaks on my '15 Cherokee. My 09 WK didn't have any when I traded it in with 100k on it. My 05 Durango didn't have any when I traded it at 78k. My 05 Liberty at 170k has an oil leak. Could go older than that but not really recent

How was the hose leaking? Related to the radiator replacement maybe?

Last edited:
No leaks on any of ours. Now our BMW's, that was a whole other epic, LOL!!!

My sister just got a 4K quote from the dealer to deal with her leaks and a few other things. Absolutely insane what the dealer charges but she loves the BMW service
smirk.gif

Other than some of the older Cummins powered trucks.....Chrysler products don't leak anymore than any other brand.
The pattern failure's I've seen with Chrysler products is Wiring/electrical problems. With at least 1/2 of them displaying no symptoms at the time of diagnosis.....Just a bunch of stored DTC's in the modules.
Some of the issues can be attributed to poor workmanship by technicians breaking connector locks & being rough with the harnesses during service.

Originally Posted By: HoosierJeeper
No leaks on my '15 Cherokee. My 09 WK didn't have any when I traded it in with 100k on it. My 05 Durango didn't have any when I traded it at 78k. My 05 Liberty at 170k has an oil leak. Could go older than that but not really recent

How was the hose leaking? Related to the radiator replacement maybe?
The hoses could have been knocked loose I suppose. It was at the other end though not where it meets up with the radiator. Oh well, 102k time for hoses.

The one that I really scratched my head about is the Grand Caravan. Oil pan and timing cover, now the tranny pan. Las about 33k miles on it.

Since Feb 2014 we've had a 2014 Cherokee with the 3.2 Pentastar and a 2016 Grand Cherokee with the 3.6 Pentastar. No leaks of any kind on either one. No other issues either.

2001 Ram 2500. No leaks in 14 years. 2014 Ram no leaks. Past 2015 Challenger. No leaks. Current 2016 Charger. No leaks. Used to get multiple engine and drive line leaks from my GM vehicles. That is why I don't buy them any more.

Joke:

At an engineering symposium various car manufactures gathered to compare notes on NVH and cabin sealing. A proud mercedes executive announced that all of their car cabin designs were verified by the "sleeping cat test." That is, a cat would be placed in the car overnight. If the cat passes out from oxygen starvation, the car passes. As a running bet, several executives agreed to try this test that night in their corporate flagship. A third party was brought in to weight next day's results.

The next morning, the judging engineer noted the following results--
Mercedes: cat passed out
BMW: cat is lucid, not quite unconscious
Chevy: cat is alert and perky
Chrysler: no cat found

My 2000 Cherokee XJ leaked from the usual 4.0 places (valve cover, oil pan, oil filter adapter) by 100k miles. My transmission pan also had a slight leak which I fixed.

My dad's 2013 Grand Cherokee with the 5.7 has 110k miles and everything is dry so far.

2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland, 3.6L 82k miles - no leaks
2000 Jeep Cherokee XJ Limited 4.0L - rear main seal leaked and repaired shortly before selling it a few years ago with 101k miles. BIG MISTAKE selling that truck!
1978 Jeep CJ7 - Always leaked. Valve cover, rear main, trans, t-case, diffs....everything resealed somewhere along the way. Still own it today.

I had an 05 grand caravan purchased in mid 2004 for 9 years and 125,000 miles, no oil leaks. The transmission control solenoid did start leaking tranny fluid at about 100,000 miles, replaced it and no more leaks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back