LCA : Replace bushing or the entire unit

Status
Not open for further replies.
Took in my Highlander for my struts to be replaced with OEM struts and the tech mentioned the LCA bushings are worn.

What is the general recommendation - replace entire unit (OEM is $200/unit) or replace the bushings with Moog/BA units.

Rust shouldn't be an issue where you are, use OE bushings if available, no aftermarket arm will be as good as OE.
Don't let anyone talk to into using poly bushings.

Sometimes all aftermarket arms are the same as OEM...for example on my Liberty only one manufacturer makes the control arms. But then anyone can throw bushings into it and that's where the quality differences happen. But the metal is all the same. No idea if the Highlander is like that.

I'd call/email BA and ask where they were made. If it's the same as the OEM ones, get that. I have BA ones on my LR3 and they were identical to the factory ones (made in UK). Moog I'd use if you can get the K series (no R or RK) and if the price is right.

I'm inclined to think it's less expensive to buy new ones instead of getting new bushings put in the old ones. Figure 3 bushings each at $40, so $120 per arm or $240 overall. Add ball joints too if those are in the arm. Plus way more labor and more potential for something to go wrong. Either way it's probably near a $600 job. Ask the shop for their labor estimates.

Last edited:
I believe the main LCA bushing is the only bushing on the unit that is pressed. the LBJ is a separate piece which is quite neat when it comes up for replacement.

I will call BA tomorrow and also my installer (he already told me it is cheaper to replace the entire unit in one piece, wonder why when there is only ONE pressed in bushing).

If I do go down the bushing path I will buy the ones that have some play and stay away from the non-play polyurethane ones.

Did you check out the bushing I posted a link to? That is not a rubber bushing but a sealed metal ball joint. I would prefer that over any other solution.
Aftermarket arms can be trouble, I have had more than one off so much the front end couldn't be aligned and a few that were on the edge.

Tech quoted my 11 hrs labor based on the Mitchell manual. Something is wrong here..
There is this stupid transmission mount on top of the LCA bolt but other than that, loosening the motor mounts, removing the left transmission mount, raising the engine and getting the LCAs out.

Something is amiss here.

I am showing 9.8 hours for both sides so realistically 11 hrs is about right. It seems a little long but you never know. Can you do this yourself?

Its not the first time the book has been wrong but if that is correct you want to keep the OE arms or replace with OE or use the best bushings you can get. You don't fiddle around with el cheapo parts when that much labor is involved.

Last edited:
I haven't done one so I don't know how fast it could be done if you knew all the ins and outs of it. From the look of it 2.5 hrs per side seems to be doable but I wouldn't price it based on that. Sorry I couldn't be more helpful.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back