Honda 2 Blown Engines, Very Sour Taste

Status
Not open for further replies.
So, I was referred to this thread: https://bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/4257131/Disabling_Honda_VCM_feature_on

I've had a terrible experience with Honda and my 2012 Accord, they don't want to even provide me a rental for this issue and I've still got a factory warranty to boot. Needless to say I'm fighting them every inch, but they at least did confirm they will replace my rings and some plugs on my V6.

Obviously, I've learned that I need to disable the VCM and will do a little more reading on that, but I had a few more questions. Does this potentially damage any other parts of my engine or car (exhaust system, etc)? Even if the dealer replaces the rings properly am I still gonna have a compromised vehicle down the road? What weight oil do you recommend to run in these? I'm in PA so I see all temps.

In my experience Mobil 1 has burnt off in both my Civic and Accord. I actually just switched to Mobil 1 from Synpower/PP on my last oil change. I found my V6 a quart low when it broke down, which I've never had any burn issues with the other brands. Whether the oil had any role in the failure or if it was just bad luck that the rings went while running Mobil 1 I don't know. It may be coincidence, but it burning off has been my experience twice now.

This is my 2nd new Honda with a blown engine before 100k. Many people on here were supportive and just as many ridiculed me for being irresponsible when I posted here years ago about my R18 blowing up after being bone dry. I was young and dumb then and didn't keep receipts, but this time I came prepared and that experience has led me to keep every receipt I have gotten for my car. So, thankfully I was able to prove all my oil changes this time.

I just want my car to last and some reassurance from people who know what they are talking about that this engine will be fine after the VCM is turned off. The dealer claims the rings fix the issue entirely even with the VCM enabled. I don't believe that for a second.

This will probably be my last Honda, especially after the meticulous care I've given to this one. Now if only I could make them pay for my old R18. I found out it also had a tranny lawsuit after I got rid of it, they never did admit to a ring issue on the R18 though. I've always been a big fan, but you can only burn me so many times.

My family has owned a Trax, a Fusion, and a Corolla in this span of time and have never had such catastrophic failure like this. I don't know how Honda keeps it's reputation when these issues span their entire V6 lineup. My mom now has my Fusion, my GF drives the Trax, and I sold the Corolla to a friend. All of those vehicles have had their quirks, but nothing like this.

I’m lost too.

You wrecked a Honda R18 engine by running it out of oil...now your J35 is wrecked by running it low on oil?

Time to take the bus!

Sorry, I'm ticked off and left out some details. The J35Z2 is the engine I believe. I was typing so fast and didn't even realize I left out what actually happened to the V6. I was driving and it misfired and rapidly flashed check engine light. I immediately pulled over and checked fluids. It burned off some of the oil, but was still within normal spec. I had it towed to the dealer under warranty. Customer service on all ends has been awful.

Yes, everything is perfect for oil and filters. Warranty claim is being covered because they have already been sued over this issue and it affects every single Honda V6 with VCM across Accord, Odyssey, Pilot. I have every single receipt kept and proved it all to them after having an experience with my R18 Civic blowing up in 2012. That car was replaced with this Accord... which now also blew up (not technically but the rings are toast, I'm being dramatic). I'm still fighting with them to provide me a rental for their manufacturing defect though, even though my car is under warranty.

Of course, I get the immature responses about running low on oil. No [censored] @Lotl. Actually, my oil wasn't "low" on my Accord it was just barely above the low line. The oil blew past the ring because the engine is known to be faulty due to the VCM. Thanks for the mature response though. And how come all the other vehicles in my care aren't low on oil? Gimme a break.

Last edited:
WOW the oh so reliable honda, most of the time, you were surely unlucky!! depending on what is really the issue only replacing rings without rehoning to get a proper seal seems to be haphazard!! i may not be up on the latest tech of newer engines but proper ring seal always depended on the cylinder finish as well as a round bore. today's very low tension rings for more MPG's is prolly part of the issue. seems all manufacturers have issues, some worse than others, but after repair if possible i would dump thar car!!! a friend had similar issue with his new 1.5T malibu, after needing a few new pistons etc he quickly traded!!!

I feel your pain. My old 2008 Accord 4cyl was the worst vehicle I've owned. Constant brake issues that dealer and Honda refused to correct. Had to live with the dreaded VTC- actuator rattle during cold start-up and it had a serious drinking problem (2-3 quarts in 5k miles.) I sold it after 6yrs. That car is the last Honda I will ever own.

Yeah, I'm worried about the other components. It has a 8 year/unlimited mileage warranty placed on it now due to the defect, but once you're past that you're screwed.

Like what about the exhaust system, valves, bearings, etc? All that unburnt oil and gas can't have been good.

Last edited:
I wish you the best fortune. It can be tough fighting the "big bad manufacturer", especially a self righteous one like Honda.

Appreciate all the helpful responses after that first guy lol. I am hoping to come across someone here with experience on the VCM Honda V6. Whether the ring replacement worked for them and if the VCM muzzler solved their issues?

As soon as you have the rings changed, disable the VCM through the VCM Muzzler, or the S-VCM Controller (if you don't want to deal with changing resistors), and change engine oil about every 5K miles to keep the engine clean. I disabled the VCM at about 65K miles, and I regret that I didn't do it sooner -- the car runs much smoother on all 6 cylinders and the power delivery is instantaneous.

VCM is over-complicated trash. After you get the car back, check the oil frequently and change it every 5k miles (forget the MM). Definitely get a Muzzler. My Pilot's had one since 20k miles and drives much better.

Last edited:
Last edited:
Deactivate the VCM, change the engine oil reasonably frequently, change the timing belt every 105K miles, and these J35 V-6s can last for a very long time.

I don't see why disabling VCM would cause problems since that would leave the engine in it's default state. It will obviously consume more fuel but the benefit is the VCM system won't be active to cause its issues. I believe GMs version was just as bad and the lucky owners figured out early and disabled it.

Regardless of what you buy next, you should consider making a personality adjustment to check your oil level more frequently on anything you own with an engine. Once a week is not burdensome and takes maybe 5 minutes to do. The cost of doing it almost 99.9% of the time outweighs the cost of engine work related to oil starvation. It's also a good opportunity to check the washer fluid, belt condition, check for rust, and to just get familiar with under the hood.

Although my 2015 has the updated VCM I could not stand it kicking in and out of 6 cylinder and 3 cylinder mode. I installed a VCMuzzler a couple years ago and it is a much better ride. My car doesn't burn any noticeable amounts of oil either.

Are you guys still running the 0w-20 in yours or something else?

I'm definitely gonna disable the VCM for sure. I'm just worried that other pieces in the system were also damaged.

As far as I know I'm being given rings and plugs. However, the lawsuit also lists the pistons, long block, short block, valve stems, ignition coils, valve timing components. I have to question why it is I'm not being given all of the items. I'll definitely inquire when I hear back from the Honda corporate rep.

When you say you're on the updated VCM what version is that? My car supposedly had the "fixed" VCM when I bought it in 2012. VCM2. I'm gonna have to do a quick google search here and see if there is a VCM3. If it's still VCM2 then it's not fixed. I read on another forum that they are also using different rings on newer cars, but I can't confirm that.

What's VCM anyway?

our CRV uses about 1qt each oil change interval at 5K with Mobil1; i'm keeping an eye on it

Last edited:
It is better to disable the VCM regardless of which iteration of it the car has. Honda updated the VCM either through hardware or software in 2011, and then again starting from 2013 models it goes only from 6 to 3 cylinders, whereas in 2008-2012 it used 6-4-3. By deactivating it you will prolong the life of the engine mounts, spark plugs, and avoid other VCM-associated problems.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back