13k OCI on VW 2.5?

Status
Not open for further replies.
So we unknowingly just put 13k on Valvoline syn in our VW 2.5 N/A Jetta wagon. The sump in these are pretty large, but I have no idea how hard on oil these usually are. I did add about 1/2qt at some point to bring the dipstick to full. Anyone have any experience or knowledge on these? Car has 83k.

The 2.5 5 cylinder is one of the best sounding engines at higher rpm,reminds me alot of the old audi Quattros

Those cars are speced for vw 502 oil requirements,when I had my jetta I ran penstion 5w-30 with a vw filter element a,every 7k,I would look into a different oil for your car

You should be good,just change it a tad early next time

If the car's been well maintained otherwise and those miles weren't all brutal short-tripping or something I doubt you hurt it at all. I wouldn't even be terribly worried about short-changing it to make up for any gunk buildup because there probably isn't any.

I put red bottle Maxlife in plenty of vehicles with over 150K that only get changed when the owner thinks of it or it's in for something else - 6K? 10K? - have seen it go 12-15K in an abused Chevy 6.0 for the last 60K, and had one customer run his GDI 2.4L Optima 21K!!! on it, and none of the engines have sustained any detecable damage.

Originally Posted By: gathermewool
How was it unknowingly? What happened?

My wife happened
smile.gif

Just some anecdotal info... Not a VW engine but my GM 3.8's OLM has a theoretical maximum of 12,500 miles. If I drive mostly highway, I lose a percent less than every 100 miles. That puts me on track for a 11-12,000 mile oil change. And this is calibrated for dino oil. I wouldn't worry about synthetic used one time for about that long. What I'm saying is that you're probably fine, especially if these weren't short trip miles. Besides, you used synthetic oil and there's nothing you can do about it now. What's done is done.

Originally Posted By: TmanP
That puts me on track for a 11-12,000 mile oil change. And this is calibrated for dino oil.

I wouldn't worry about synthetic used one time for about that long.

Agreed.

You didn't hurt anything.

Originally Posted By: Unearthed
Originally Posted By: gathermewool
How was it unknowingly? What happened?

My wife happened
smile.gif

13.gif

Is your wife handy or are you the main person who tracks/does maintenance on your vehicles?

My wife knows enough to minimize any potential damage to her and the vehicle,should something go wrong (i.e., she knows what to do if the high-temp, low-oil-pressure, flashing CEL, battery icon, and etc. come on...in theory.) As far as maintenance, if it doesn't blink at her or tell her something is due, she's not responsible for it; it's my fault if things are missed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back