My Suv had a heart attack, too much Bacon? Help!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Long time occasional lurker of BITOG, but still newb on this forum so please excuse my etiquette.

This will be unbelievable to many.. but watch the videos. I am trying to figure out what to do. I figured you guys and gals will go nuts over this.

So long story short My new oil has gelled up/thicken in my engine. I was able to drain the [censored] out with the engine warm. Waiting on Blackstone for results.

Oil is M1 EP 0w20 with 1,500 miles put in in Nov/2017. Hybrid SUV 08 Lexus RX400h has 126k miles. Oil changed every 5k for the past 4 years with M1 filter. Coolant is clean and pink (toyota long life)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xj5Kn8IyiC8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D3Q4FBKrNYY

See the other video I posted to my youtube account (sorry I am new to youtube too )

Last edited:
wow, commenting so I can keep an eye on this thread.
First thought, do you pour your own oil and was the bottle/jug untampered?
Second, I saw some of this on an oil change I did, low mile OCI, short trips, very cold weather, oil gelled up.
Could be similar here with the Hybrid not allowing full hot temp oil, means water and contaminants are never burnt off.

You said the M1 was "my new oil". And that has 1500 miles on it. What have you been using for the last 4 years? Why did you drain this oil so quickly?

I called M1 already (they said take it to a shop, tear the engine apart,and send them the report.) They sent me a form to fill out.

I travel 20 miles to work in stop and go traffic on the highway Tues-Thurs (Chicago traffic takes about 1-1.5 hrs to cover distance). Hybrid usually tries to keep the engine somewhat warm(kicks on when the engine temp is below a certain number). Jug was bought at walmart with nothing unusual with it. Chicago had several snow storms and then some Neg Temps in Jan. ( I did park my car outside). On Fri-Monday it get little use.

My first thought is "That's not motor oil".
shocked2.gif

Originally Posted By: tig1
You said the M1 was "my new oil". And that has 1500 miles on it. What have you been using for the last 4 years? Why did you drain this oil so quickly?

This is the first time I tried M1 EP.. (rated for 15,000 miles) Normally I just get M1 AFE. Stupid thing is that I got this just because it was on sale... I was still planning to keep the 5k interval.

My engine had trouble starting in cold starts. Threw engine codes. (gas engine did not start but hybrid did) Eventually gave me low oil pressure. I check the dip stick and notice sticky oil.. Thats why I drain it.

I am pretty attentive with maintenance on my vehicle. Nothing unusual in previous changes. I have some of the old oil saved up from previous change that I might send in to Blackstone as well so see if there was any contamination there.

Last edited:
My guess is "your fault not us".... I offer to send them my sample.. they said hang on to it.

Originally Posted By: geekster
I am curious as to what prompted the early change? Was the engine running worse (would think it would)? Was it the dipstick oil level?

Sorry I forgot the answer in previous replay then updated it..inshort low oil pressure light came on, dip stick sample looked like [censored].

Originally Posted By: OVERKILL
Did you change the oil yourself or did a shop do it?
Self, I do not trust the shop...

Just looked at the videos, yeah, that doesn't look like motor oil, it's like straight tackifier, like a crazy version of chainsaw bar lube. I'd wager somebody swapped the bottle contents or something along those lines.

Holy... I can't even comment because I don't know what that is. Hopefully some of the tribologists may venture a guess for our benefit. That looks more like dehydrated pure maple syrup than it does oil.

So you've done oil changes with Mobil 1 every 5,000 miles for the past four years. What is the oil change history for the first six years of this car's life? If you bought it used, you may be screwed.

Originally Posted By: OVERKILL
Just looked at the videos, yeah, that doesn't look like motor oil, it's like straight tackifier, like a crazy version of chainsaw bar lube. I'd wager somebody swapped the bottle contents or something along those lines.

This!
I'm guessing: used ATF + used axle + some used oil

I had some of the local Walmart cashier's open the filter box to check for switched filters with me not even asking about, as a standard practice.

OP,
How does it smell?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back