Replacing coils w/ struts; All 4 or none?

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Volvo in my signature is due for some fresh suspension. Thinking either Sachs or Bilstein Tourings.

I can get "loaded" Sachs with the coil ready to install or I can get just the strut itself and swap everything over.

Question being, would I run into any issues replacing just the front coils, but not the rear?

you are likely to have an increased ride height in the front of your car, it will throw off the headlight adjustment and you will get a bit of the (lowrider look) without the car being low. Best to replace all 4 springs.

+1 The springs are 16 years old and definitely sagging, you don't notice it as they are all sagging at the same rate.
You could do the fronts with the coils as a unit and buy the springs extra for the rears if they don't sell an assembly. Look at Lesjöfors Springs if Sachs doesn't make them.
Make sure to get any dot colors of the old coils if there are any Lesjöfors make to exact OE.

If it were I, because it sounds like you don't need springs, I wouldn't replace them. However, if you're doing the work yourself and you like the convenience of the full corner module for the front, then do the fronts first and see how if ride height changes. If the front end rides higher, then replace the rear springs when you do the rear end, but if the car's still level, then just replace the rear shocks.

Originally Posted By: jaj
If it were I, because it sounds like you don't need springs, I wouldn't replace them. However, if you're doing the work yourself and you like the convenience of the full corner module for the front, then do the fronts first and see how if ride height changes. If the front end rides higher, then replace the rear springs when you do the rear end, but if the car's still level, then just replace the rear shocks.

A few summers ago I had a 2000 Golf that I put new struts and rebuilt the front suspension. I put that entire suspension on a 2003 Jetta a year later but replaced the springs with low mileage used neuspeed sport springs that I got off of kijiji. The springs made more of a difference in the way the car felt more than any of the other stuff, and the springs were like 1/3 the cost of the other components (bilstein touring stuts and an IDparts front end kit). I know that I replaced worn sport springs with new, stiffer sport springs but the car did not crash over bumps and actually absorbed some of the impacts. The car had about 195k km on it on completely stock suspension down to the tie rod ends IIRC.

I've seen people say that springs never need to be replaced, but they made my car feel brand new. I know factory springs are expensive, but you can always get good quality aftermarket springs for cheaper. I am not sure that you could get a stiffer spring in a stock ride height though.

Originally Posted By: Trav
+1 The springs are 16 years old and definitely sagging, you don't notice it as they are all sagging at the same rate.
You could do the fronts with the coils as a unit and buy the springs extra for the rears if they don't sell an assembly. Look at Lesjöfors Springs if Sachs doesn't make them.
Make sure to get any dot colors of the old coils if there are any Lesjöfors make to exact OE.

01.gif

Get the Sachs quick struts and then buy the rear springs too
thumbsup2.gif

Confession:

I ended up just buying the quickies for the front and shocks for the rear; no rear coils.

Between the replacement control arm/ ball joint and 4 corners of suspension, I'm at $900. I'll take some measurements and if it looks to be needed, I'll get some Lesjofors rears for $70 each. At the moment, the rear looks to be higher than the front so we shall see.
21.gif

They were supposed to be in today, but they look to be held up on the east coast from weather.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back