Any dodge ram 1500 3.6 Penstar owners here?

I've decided to stick with a full size pickup for my next vehicle. I like the comfort and ride of a full size. I don't like the sticker price for most being in the 40K plus.
My hemi has been good to me but don't need one. I use the truck as a daily driver commuter, (about 100 miles a day) and to haul a few bags of trash to the dump and other light duty stuff.
New Dodge Rams with the 3.6L V6 24-Valve VVT Engine selling for about 32K (includes 6250.00 incentive). I'm not going to be towing anything or drag racing. Been seeing many positive reviews from owners that give it a thumbs up. Anyone have experience with this vehicle or engine?
I'll probably take a test drive tomorrow.
thanks.

I would strongly consider getting the max care lifetime warranty if you plan on keeping it long term. The most common problems that I see on 3.6's are oil cooler leaks, oil pressure sensors,and rocker arm failure. We haven't had many problems with the transmissions yet, but Chrysler will not let us repair them and they are expensive to replace.

3.6L is a cartridge style oil i think
Buy a bundle at rock auto to save since theyre kinda expensive at the store
Not difficult to do oil changes
Our 2014 3.6L says 5w20 or 5w30
Conventional or syn
Need a big 15/16 socket/ratchet to get into oil filter housing easy
The oil change monitor is not just a counter i think it calculates because
All highway it will take conventional out past 8k
Decent power for 4X4, general hauling

The engine is a good performer for its size but needs RPM to do it (which should be expected). We have it in our Durango.

Excellent tips. Will check into that Maxi warranty. I try to get at least 10 years out of my vehicles.

My son have the 2016 RAM 3.6L and love it. He use it for his landscaping business and works well for him. Power is more then enough too.

What impress me is the gas mileage. The ride is most likely one of the best for pickup truck too.

Last edited:
Needs rpm to do its work. Even though you don't plan to tow, you might want the tow package, if only for the deeper gearing. Which might pay for itself at trade-in time (if you don't plan on taking to the end). I'd be forewarned, it will likely shift "lots" in the hills--I'd make sure to not just drive it hard, but drive it gently over some rolling terrain. Just to see how it feels to you.

I'd check out tire costs. I don't know what size it takes, but I see your sig and I'm not sure if you are ready for sticker shock. On my vehicles 40k is a good tire lifespan, and I found my truck really needed snows for winter. Just tossing that out there, I'd find the tire size and then check to see what tire costs will be.

Originally Posted By: JTK
Just curious if that $32K after all incentives is for a 2wd or 4wd.

4WD
NEW 2018 RAM 1500 EXPRESS QUAD CAB® 4X4 6'4 BOX
MSRP $39,970
Discounts $2,461
Truck Month Retail Bonus Cash $1,000
Northeast Regional Bonus Cash $1,500
Retail Consumer Cash $3,250
Discounted Price $31,759

Originally Posted By: SavagePatch
There's some killer deals on 2017 RAM 1500 Ecodiesel right now.

Haven't seen any. Can you link me to one?

Originally Posted By: supton

I'd check out tire costs. I don't know what size it takes, but I see your sig and I'm not sure if you are ready for sticker shock. On my vehicles 40k is a good tire lifespan, and I found my truck really needed snows for winter. Just tossing that out there, I'd find the tire size and then check to see what tire costs will be.

I assumed they'd be about the same as on my 2004 3rd generation Ram 1500 4x4. But I'll check. My favorite tires are Mastercraft HSX. I like how they handle winters but good all season compromise. I normally get almost 50K out of them, which in my case includes 2 winters. The 4th generation uses larger tires?

Originally Posted By: SeaJay
If you can face your friends without the "Hemi" plate on the fenders, it is a great deal and will serve you well.

I ain't got no friends.
lol.gif

Originally Posted By: stenerson

I assumed they'd be about the same as on my 2004 3rd generation Ram 1500 4x4. But I'll check. My favorite tires are Mastercraft HSX. I like how they handle winters but good all season compromise. I normally get almost 50K out of them, which in my case includes 2 winters. The 4th generation uses larger tires?

Looks like 275/60R20 for lower trim (285/45R22 for upper trim? not sure). Amazon indicates $172.35 for HSX in that size.

Not sure what size your 2004 has, but I'm guessing 275/70R17. Amazon comes up at $152.11.

Not as bad as I thought. I keep forgetting that tire prices have come down, now that "everyone" is running these sizes.

Originally Posted By: stenerson

Looks like 275/60R20 for lower trim (285/45R22 for upper trim? not sure). Amazon indicates $172.35 for HSX in that size.

Not sure what size your 2004 has, but I'm guessing 275/70R17. Amazon comes up at $152.11.

Not as bad as I thought. I keep forgetting that tire prices have come down, now that "everyone" is running these sizes.

Yep, you guessed right on the size I use. Thanks for looking that up. Not a deal breaker.

I took it for a test drive.. Loved it. Very smooth ride and was surprisingly peppier than I expected. Tried the local steep hills and climbed effortlessly. Popped the hood open and amazed at all the extra space. Half the compartment was hollow, plenty of room to work.
The steep discounted price is only for the black one. I don't like black vehicles. Told him I'd think about it.

Did you ask what was different about the black truck? They should be able to get you one just like it in any color for the same price.

Back