Fire Extinguishers

Status
Not open for further replies.
I remembered that my fire extinguisher needs replacing, as I carried a burning mower from my bench, and threw it out the garage door yesterday. It wasn't nearly as heavy as I remembered; perhaps due to the adrenaline. The fire was hot enough, to give perspective, to burn through the rope in the few seconds between it catching on fire and being moved off the bench.

The words idiot, and moron came to mind as I lifted my welding hood and watched the fire coming off the mower, that was laying on its side, with gas dripping out of the tank. The flames briefly 'licked' at the garage's rafters before I snatched it up and headed for daylight. I let it burn in the driveway for a couple minutes, while I carefully monitored the bench until the fire was small enough to 'spritz' out with a little compressed air. The coffee can (two feet away), that was half filled with old gas, didn't ignite, or I'd be shopping for lumber and a lot of new tools.

Fortunately, I have fifty, or so, Quantum gas tanks, and more 'cowlings' than I can count. The steadily growing stack of Briggs 'auto-choke' parts, carbs and air filter housings came in handy to put the guy's mower right again.

By the way, I was just filling in material to roughly recreate a sheared off star pattern on the bottom of a blade mount. It works well, if the welder is turned up enough to penetrate the thick metal a bit.

Is your fire extinguisher working? Hmmmmmmm? Is it?

When I lived in DFW and did a lot of work on cars in my garage, I had 3 5lb ABC fire extinguishers placed on each of the walls in the garage (The Lewisville FD will come out and make recommendations for free and even teach you how to use them). I Always figured that the garage, where I had plenty of flammable stuff was the most likely place for a fire, boy was I wrong. Last year I was frying up a batch of curly fries for my daughter and when I added the fries the oil boiled and flashed into a big fire on the stove. Fortunately I had gotten 3 of the First Alert Fire extinguishers that look like big aerosol bottles and instead of Halon or dry chemical are filled with a relatively new fire extinguishing chemical called Potassium Lactate. This stuff is awesome it knocked out the fire in 1 or 2 seconds and cleanup was super easy with a few paper towels. The next time I was in Dallas I went to Home Depot and bought 4 more. I hope it never happens to me again, but fire extinguishers are one of those things that are better to have and not need, than need and not have. And hey for 15 bucks each they are way cheaper than a homeowners deductible. I also recommend that if you've never used one in a panic situation, contact your local FD the often have classes that are either free or cost a nominal fee to teach you how to use a fire extinguisher. When you are trying to put out a fire is not the time to read the instruction label

Last edited:
That's a Class K extinguisher. They were developed specifically for cooking oil. The lactate has chemical reaction with the oil which forms a crust to smother the fire. Probably not very effective on any other fire.

You can buy large refillable Class K extinguishers instead of the little cans.

Not here in Mexico City. But when I move back to Dallas I will definitely get a larger one instead of the small cans. Heck 99.9% of homes and apartments don't have smoke detectors nor are they required by any code. People laugh at me for installing one in each of our bedrooms in our apartment I don't care, my 7 year old daughters life is more valuable.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: mk378
That's a Class K extinguisher. They were developed specifically for cooking oil. The lactate has chemical reaction with the oil which forms a crust to smother the fire. Probably not very effective on any other fire.

I'm not trying to start any fights or questioning your knowledge but according to First Alerts specs for the Tundra Fire Extinguisher it" "Tundra Fire Extinguishing Aerosol Spray
Discharges four times longer than traditional fire extinguisher
Light aerosol can is easy to hold, carry, and use
Extinguishes paper, fabric, wood, grease, and electrical fires
Formula is biodegradable and easy-to-clean
Ideal for kitchen, garage, boat, or RV"

If youve got a lot of gasoline/combustible liquids, look for a Purple K extinguisher. I keep one near where I have lots of solvents and oils.

Typically ABC extinguishers are best, but there are situations where others may be prudent.

If you need some, check eBay - extinguishers often get refurbished by code, and companies that service them sell "used" ones with hydro stamps and a new tag for a small fraction of new.

I like Amerex personally, though I do have a Kidde CO2 unit and a Buckeye halotron at various spots...

The nieghbor's house burned down in january, 12 feet off of mine. The heat kept igniting the brush beneath our decorative bushes, also sending burning debris into our yard, deck, and roof. The siding on our house melted and the shingles were scorched. Every time the brush would light, I'd dart in and hit it with the extinguisher. I figured if those bushes caught, our house would be done. I kept this up until the fire department arrived.

Not sure what I would have done without the extinguisher. It was 24F out and the garden hose was frozen. Even then, it was only a matter of minutes before what I had would have been overwhelmed. Glad the FD made it out!!

-M

Originally Posted By: Gimpy1
Originally Posted By: mk378

I'm not trying to start any fights or questioning your knowledge but according to First Alerts specs for the Tundra Fire Extinguisher it" "Tundra Fire Extinguishing Aerosol Spray
Discharges four times longer than traditional fire extinguisher
Light aerosol can is easy to hold, carry, and use
Extinguishes paper, fabric, wood, grease, and electrical fires
Formula is biodegradable and easy-to-clean
Ideal for kitchen, garage, boat, or RV"

Type K is a wet type agent with specific chemical additives. Water alone shouldnt be used on oil fires for a variety of reasons. Not it is NOT Purple-K, which is a dry chemical intended for fuel fires of class B.

Tundra is potassium lactate. Not entirely sure any other extinguishers use that.

I do have a few of the disposable "fire gone" units, which are AFFF, and good for ABC fires. I think that is a more established media than the Tundra stuff.

Originally Posted By: JHZR2

If you need some, check eBay - extinguishers often get refurbished by code, and companies that service them sell "used" ones with hydro stamps and a new tag for a small fraction of new.

Check local fire extinguisher places, too... lots of them for sale on Craigslist

I work for a fire extinguisher sales and service. We sell Amerex and I will say, they are the best. Don't bother buying the Kidde and First Alerts from the stores, they are cheap. Buckeye from experience have been the most problematic.

Originally Posted By: toneydoc
Yeehaw!!!!!!!!!

Yeah...I performed the ancient, secret, idiot fire dance. Brought back cold weather today.

Originally Posted By: Gimpy1
I Always figured that the garage, where I had plenty of flammable stuff was the most likely place for a fire, boy was I wrong. Last year I was frying up a batch of curly fries for my daughter and when I added the fries the oil boiled and flashed into a big fire on the stove.

Cooking is actually the number one cause of house fires.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back