Chevy 4.3 Mobil 1 5w-30

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have 2005 chevy 1500 with the 6 cylinder 4.3

Hae always used mobil 1 syn 5w-30 5 quart jug

Questions

Is the a good oil for this motor?

On a cold start it is perfect,but about 3-4 mins running after it has a slight lifter tick,but once it fully warms up and the tick goes away,is this a oil issue or just normal?

Thanks

That's the old iron version, not the new one, right?

I have a 98 S-10, old iron 4.3, have run lots of oils through it though not due to age, due to time.

Ive found that the filter can cause a tick at startup. Now, not sure how the full size is set up - on mine, it's a remote mount on its side (pf52 type).

I found that fram orange and the old ST filters caused it in the cold. FU, purolator pure one, wix, don't.

So it may entirely be oil filter related. I can't really see how the use of M1 vs any other oil could be the cause, unless something is really dirty or really worn. But even then I'd think it would be at startup.

Id start with the filter. Don't even change the oil. Go from there.

The old 4.3 is 75% 350. It will take any oil, 30 weight or up. They shed alot of iron, so stick to reasonable OCIs. IMHO I wouldn't put a synthetic in it; you can toss PYB in it forever and it will run forever. It's a simple engine that just runs.

If you have clearance for the length, WIX makes a 2qt filter that fits 350s that should fit your filter mount. I forget the number of the filter but it shouldn't be too tough to find.

Given the age of the engine, if the filter idea doesn’t help, you might want to try 10-30 oil in case It’s caused by worn lifters. How many miles on the engine?

Last edited:
Truck has 145k on it.Truck is driven on alot steep mountain grades

I use wix original filters from o reilys

Would 10w-30 help with the lifter noise?

Those engines were notorious for piston slap. That could be what you are hearing, instead of "lifter tap"

The pistons expand when they warm up and stop slapping. When they are cold they slap around the bore. Not a big deal.

Originally Posted By: bubbatime
Those engines were notorious for piston slap. That could be what you are hearing, instead of "lifter tap"

The pistons expand when they warm up and stop slapping. When they are cold they slap around the bore. Not a big deal.

I've never heard this in my life, and I've owned 4.3 V6 GM's for over 25 yrs continuously! Since the 4.3 is basically a 350 with 2 cylinders lopped off & a balance shaft fitted (in later years); how would the 4.3 be any more prone to piston slap than the venerable small block chevy V8?

Originally Posted By: troutfisher
I have 2005 chevy 1500 with the 6 cylinder 4.3

Hae always used mobil 1 syn 5w-30 5 quart jug

Questions

Is the a good oil for this motor?

On a cold start it is perfect,but about 3-4 mins running after it has a slight lifter tick,but once it fully warms up and the tick goes away,is this a oil issue or just normal?

Thanks

Make sure your filters have the red silicone ADBV. None of the AC Delcos (PF52 or 47) do anymore. I often used Fram Tough Guards, built differently than Wix.

Last edited:
Another agreement on trying a different filter. Go with a Fram Ultra once -- you can use that filter for multiple OCIs up to 20,000 miles the new ones are rated for. When ever I used a Super Tech or Purolator Classic on my neighbors truck -- 2000 Dodge 5.2L -- it had a couple second tick from start -- warm or cold out. When we switched to the Fram Ultra -- the tick went away immediately -- warm or cold out.

Dale

Originally Posted By: DesertDually

I've never heard this in my life, and I've owned 4.3 V6 GM's for over 25 yrs continuously! Since the 4.3 is basically a 350 with 2 cylinders lopped off & a balance shaft fitted (in later years); how would the 4.3 be any more prone to piston slap than the venerable small block chevy V8?

You've NEVER heard of hypereutectic piston slap in a small block chevy/GM 4.3L? Never? maybe different years were more prevalent than others, but its definitely a common complaint.

Originally Posted By: DesertDually

You've NEVER heard of hypereutectic piston slap in a small block chevy/GM 4.3L? Never? maybe different years were more prevalent than others, but its definitely a common complaint.

I've owned like half a dozen 5.0/5.7L SBC trucks/SUVs and NEVER heard piston slap, even with a bunch of miles, questionable maintainance from however many previous owners, etc. I was under the impression this was a common issue on the 4.8/5.3/6.0 LS engines but not really ever something common on the older engines.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back