2016 Chevy Traverse 3.6L

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thinking of this for my next vehicle. There are a lot of them around with 20k miles or so at local dealers, as 2 year lease turn ins.
They seem to have good ratings and the only common problem I have been able to find is timing chain issues on the very early ones around 2010-2011 that is supposed to be fixed with a new gear design. It's an older platform vehicle and I kind of like that idea since they have had 10 years or so to work out bugs.

I have looked at a few other vehicles all the way up to brand new but the start stop system on many newer vehicles is a big turnoff for me.pun intendeed!

My other thought is a brand new Escape to replace my 2004 Escape but all the tech on these things including start /stop is a big worry since I keep my vehicles at least 10 years.

Originally Posted By: bradepb
Thinking of this for my next vehicle. There are a lot of them around with 20k miles or so at local dealers, as 2 year lease turn ins.
They seem to have good ratings and the only common problem I have been able to find is timing chain issues on the very early ones around 2010-2011 that is supposed to be fixed with a new gear design. It's an older platform vehicle and I kind of like that idea since they have had 10 years or so to work out bugs.

I have looked at a few other vehicles all the way up to brand new but the start stop system on many newer vehicles is a big turnoff for me.pun intendeed!

My other thought is a brand new Escape to replace my 2004 Escape but all the tech on these things including start /stop is a big worry since I keep my vehicles at least 10 years.

I read here that the stop/start increases main bearing wear. I understand, but it sure does sound cool at stop lights.
It could get dicey if you have a weak battery though, lol.

Start/stop is defeated by a button you push once the car is started. Also if you don't like hitting the button/switch to turn the system off once stopped backing off the brake just a hair disengages the system as well. No big deal either way.....

The Traverse isn't a bad choice, but what about an 09-12 Escape? You get the more efficient 6-speed automatic, upgraded chassis and suspension compared to 08 and older Escapes, and known-reliable engines (either the nice 3.0 V6 or the underpowered 2.5L), without any of the unncessary garbage newer ones have. Only thing is it looks a little dated inside and out but they are not a bad place to spend time.

Last edited:
I do like the 09-12 Escape but need to go at least 2016 or 17 so I can keep whatever I get a long time, the older Escapes also rust here a lot, my 04 is getting real shabby.
I wish I could buy an Escape just like my 04 brand new it's my all time favorite car! Even after 140,000 miles

It could be a big deal when it has problems whether you turn it off or not the software and hardware is still there. I would like to know what the glass mat batteries cost to replace. ( in reply to tenderloin) forgot to qoute

Last edited:
Start-stop is showing up in a lot of places now. If the start stop on the escape is anything like it is on my 2016 F150 2.7 Ecoboost truck, I'd buy one without too much thought.

The system is extremely easy to manipulate to not start stop or to engage the engine when you want it. I can turn it off with a switch on the dashboard or put it in tow/haul, and it goes away. If it Leave it on, I can manipulate it easily using brake pressure.

A lot of folks complain I should just be able to drive the way I want without adapting to the vehicle. For me, its been a super easy transition and you start t realize just how much you idle at stoplights...

On my F150, the AGM battery direct from my Ford Dealer is 159.96. A regular, non-start stop battery is 103.96. More expensive, yes. Ridiculously, not so much.

You would be making a good choice on a 2016 or 2017 traverse.
Timing chain issue is mostly gone by those years.
The 2018 (new generation) has the start/stop. It has no override button.
I don't believe the 2017 and older has the stop/start affliction rr um I mean feature.

Suggest sticking with 5k oil changes, but that's just my caution with any GDI engine.
And install a catch can.

Test drive it for a weekend. Fill it up before you leave and check your gas mileage. Anything below 23mpg/24mpg highway I might want to look at a different one.

They can get really good gas mileage (better than EPA estimates)

RBarios might want to chime in on this :)

Last edited:
yes, one reason I am looking at a 2016 or 17 is they are the last years for that version with kind of a proven power train and no start/stop etc. kind of old school tech.
I would at least want an override button for start/stop if I went newer.

I leased a 2015 traverse fwd LT1 with bucket seats middle row for my wife. We luved it.Plenty of power extremely comfortable great on long road trips. Only issues we had was new battery replacement and driver side window control replaced all under warranty. If you don't need the room I definitely would go with a Toyota RAV4 I think in the long run would be more reliable. We did lease a new 2018 traverse extremely happy with it. If you do go with the old style traverse make sure it had on time oil changes 3.6 real hard on oil also considering it's the old body style definitely smack them around on price. The new style lease returns are within a year going to be on dealers lots crushing the resale on the old body style.

My wife just gave her 09 Acadia to her son to be his family car. Only 82k. It was a good comfortable vehicle. It was the first year with D.I. But we had no issues. I changed oil every 5k due to D.I. We also had an 01 Escape that we gave away at 235k. Excellent vehicle. I think the decision should be based on how large of a vehicle you want. I like the trim size of the Escape but the Traverse would be great on rode trips with 4 aboard and luggage. My Acadia got about 20 mpg mixed and only about 21 or 22 on the road.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back