Ugly atf

Status
Not open for further replies.
Recently purchased a 2007 Rav4 limited 4 wd. 175,000 on the clock. Dropped the pan and changed the filter, trans fluid looked like black motor oil. I used maxlife, the trans shifted OK before the change, but much smoother after. Gonna do a couple of drain and refills in the next weeks, but the weather here isn't cooperating right now (it's snowing) & I don't have a garage so guess I'll wait a couple of weeks.

Last edited:
I've heard that a few times about Toyota's transmissions. They smooth out with fresher fluid.

Did you do a full exchange, or just a pan drop? If it really looks nasty, then I'd do whatever it takes to do the full flush, by pulling a cooler line. Drain the pan, refill, pull the line, and let the engine do the work for you. Almost easier to do when the ATF is at its worst: you can tell when it's done flushing, as you can go by color.

Drain and fills will do your Toyota good especially if it has a drain plug. That’s what been done my since I bought my daughter’s Camry.

If you think your ATF was ugly after 175k miles, you should see the ATF in my Rav4 after 350k miles.

I had an '06 "RAV6" AWD and Toyota had decided that the ATF was a lifetime fluid.
Had an indy Toyota shop look at it around 60kmiles and it was quite black, they told me they had purchased a special fluid extractor for the new trannies since the maker decided it should be difficult to change the ATF.
I had an expensive repair to the AWD drive system before 100k that also gave me new fluid, think I had it changed once more before I traded it in on my FXT around 160k.
That was definitely the most fun vehicle all around I have owned, enjoy!

Doesn't your car have a drain plug for the transmission?
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: Snagglefoot
Where do you experts like to disconnect the line to do a fluid replacement. Where it feeds to the trans cooler or where it comes back to the rad. Or other? Thanks.

IIRC you want the line going into the cooler. Not the line coming off the cooler. Reason being, line going into cooler will have ATF coming out of it--so pull that and put into drain container of choice.

You could remove the one on the cooler outlet, but then you (may) need an additional hose.

Originally Posted By: Donald
It's when the ATF looks like driveway sealer that you have problems.

Or when it smells so bad you want to puke.

Originally Posted By: brianl703

I had a buddy tell me the new Valvoline ATF smell makes him want to puke.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: cjcride
Originally Posted By: brianl703

I had a buddy tell me the new Valvoline ATF smell makes him want to puke.

Can't be worse than gear fluid with 230k miles on it. I was quite hungover when I got under the Rav4 to drain the transfer case for the first time. Had no idea that stuff stinks as much as it does.

Originally Posted By: Billbert
Recently purchased a 2007 Rav4 limited 4 wd. 175,000 on the clock. Dropped the pan and changed the filter, trans fluid looked like black motor oil. I used maxlife, the trans shifted OK before the change, but much smoother after. Gonna do a couple of drain and refills in the next weeks, but the weather here isn't cooperating right now (it's snowing) & I don't have a garage so guess I'll wait a couple of weeks.

Yep, keep changing it until it clears up.

I bought a Nissan Frontier 4X4 a couple of years ago with about 32,000 miles on it and changed the AT transmission fluid because it had the appearance of a well used 10W30 motor oil.

It took six drains and refills before it cleared up.

A pan dump is rather a waste of time and fluid. You only get a couple quarts out doing this method. A full trans and converter fill is around 12-16 quarts.

Need to remove the line to the cooler inside the radiator. Run that with an extended hose into a 5 gallon bucket. Dump in fresh fluid while running out the old. Remember to check the final level hot in park.

slomo

Originally Posted By: Billbert

There are a lot of folks who just don't know fluids needs changing. Period nothing in this world is going to change that and part of that is pure ignorance on how machines work. This previous owner thought likewise and not to own it beyond 150K, trust me who really wants to drive the same darnn vehicle beyond 10yrs.

Now coming to your new purchase keep draining and filling and it will definitely clear up.

Rav4 AWD have weak components get to the transfer case and differential as well.

there is a guy over on the club lexus board claiming to be an engineer. and he basically called me an idiot for changing the ws fluid every 30k. he claims it never needs to be changed....

Originally Posted By: zorobabel
A friend's 2007 Corolla had black ATF at 70k. Toyota T-IV gets dark rather fast.

The 05 Matrix has almost double the miles and the T-IV is still pink in color. And it's the FF. Will change it soon. I go easy when accelerating with it and anticipate stops, so coasting with it. Prob half the miles are hwy.

Originally Posted By: lexus114
there is a guy over on the club lexus board claiming to be an engineer. and he basically called me an idiot for changing the ws fluid every 30k. he claims it never needs to be changed....

Yep. I've experienced the same thing and work with mechanical and chem engineers on a daily basis. Most don't have a clue about fluid analysis and/or small sump applications like an AT.

I never got the "draining the pan is a waste of time and resources" statement. Obviously you are mixing new/old fluid, but you are getting a lot of wear materials out and replenishing the add pack with each drain/fill.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back