Time to ditch the Traverse

Status
Not open for further replies.
Argh... Despite being recently repaired after a fender bender, a nagging evap leak code was going to necessitate a trip to the dealer to drop the gas tank and find the leak. Last night the check engine light came on again, but now it's the dreaded P0008 camshaft position error code. The one that means the notorious 3.6 V6 timing chains are worn despite religious oil changes, and the entire front frame has to be dropped to get the engine out for that job. It's about a $3000 job at the dealer, and there's still an evap leak that would need to be fixed. No way am I spending that much to fix this 170,000 mile vehicle. I'd be lucky to get that much for it on a trade.

So, thinking about used Explorers or Pilots, Maybe an Outback or Forester. Need something that can tow a 1600 pound camper, although I used to tow it with a CR-V. Don't think I want another Traverse/Acadia/Outlook/Enclave with the number of repairs I've had with this one. Don't want a pickup truck, I like being able to carry passengers and cargo. Haven't kept up with minivans much, do they have decent towing capacity?

I've done a few timing chain jobs on those Traverses, and let me tell you: it doesn't pay enough for the PITA it is. Most of them had burned a few valves and clogged the converters, too, because people drive them with the timing off until it just dies.

The Outback has a 2700lb tow rating even with 4 banger, and best of the 4 bangers mileage if that matters to you. Most 4cyl CUV have 2000lb or less. The big turbo Escape can do 3k I believe. A V6 minivan will tow 1600lbs with all the camping stuff much easier though. If good mileage and AWD wasn't a requirement for us, we'd have a minivan for sure. The deals on the last of the new Caravans are hard to ignore, and even a used Odyssey is pretty cheap.

The Forester is limited to towing 1500 pounds. An Outback can tow more with a six cylinder. I wouldn't buy a Subaru if I wanted to tow, haul people and cargo. You said no pick up, but a 4 door pickup with a cap can tow, haul people and cargo with ease. Just pointing it out as an option.

Originally Posted By: skyactiv
a 4 door pickup with a cap can tow, haul people and cargo with ease. Just pointing it out as an option.

Was going to point that out also. Can go mid sized too, with Colorado (or Tacoma), although I'm not sure how well the mid sizes ride compared with their full sized brethren.

Caravan with tow package is good for 3,500lb, IIRC. I think non-tow is lower, but it's the same drivetrain, so I'm not sure I'd worry about a 1,600lb camper on a non-tow Caravan.

Originally Posted By: Nick R
I'll put out something different, Mazda CX-5, has a 2000lb tow rating.

And cylinder deactivation on its inline 4.

The Forester is limited to towing 1500 pounds. An Outback can tow more with a six cylinder.

outback can tow more with the 4-cylinder too.

page 8-22
2.5L models 2700lb

Fits 4 Big people or 5 normal people tons of rear legroom. And large cargo area in the back.
Its also a very good height for older people to get in and out of easily.

06-10 Explorers with the V8 are very solid vehicles with a serious Tow Capacity. Mostly reliable too, later the better. 09-10 have an F150 trans. Has body on frame and very a safe vehicle with RSC and all.
If I ever replace my explorer that is what I look for.

Not thrilled about the newer explorers. One thing is the carbon monoxide problem.

170,000 miles is pretty good.
I have heard of the timing chain issues on the early 3.6 engines but I also heard they improved the chains and gear angle so this is not really an issue anymore . Is this correct? because I am considering buying a 2016 or 2017 Traverse with the 3.6.

Originally Posted By: ford46guy
06-10 Explorers with the V8 are very solid vehicles with a serious Tow Capacity. Mostly reliable too, later the better. 09-10 have an F150 trans. Has body on frame and very a safe vehicle with RSC and all.
If I ever replace my explorer that is what I look for.

Not thrilled about the newer explorers. One thing is the carbon monoxide problem.

He's looking to tow 1600 lbs. The V8 explorer is overkill for this, with a 7000+ lb pound tow rating. The '06-10's have the F150 transmission behind the V8 only. (yes, the earlier ones are 6R60's, while the later ones are 6R80's, but they are for all practical purposes the same. If you replace the transmission in the 06-08's, you get a 6R80).

I have an'07 Explorer with the V8, and if I had to do it over again, I'd get the V6 with the tow package. The programming on the transmission isn't great (and I have owned 2 F150's with the same transmission, so I know it can be much better). The V8 drinks gas like it is going out of style, particularly in city and cold driving. My wife, who drives ours mainly, and drives like grandma on Sundays averages worse fuel mileage that my previous 5.4 equipped F150 of the same era... The '08 explorer with the V6 did much better at work fuel mileage wise, even in fleet usage. And honestly, felt every bit as powerful as our V8 equipped Explorer with less HP and Torque...

The V8 has issues with the exhaust manifolds and studs breaking. If it sounds loud at a cold startup, and quiets down within a few minutes, that is a $1200 repair per side... The radiators are prone to leaking, and the wheel bearings are basically disposable around 80,000 miles... The rears are a real treat...

Our '07 Rides decent, and gets decent fuel mileage in highway only driving, but any city driving and cold weather just kills that. And we've spent more on repairs (even with me doing a lot of the work) on ours than any other late model vehicle (going back to 1997) than any other vehicle we've owned. I would not be recommending the '06-10 Explorer - the current models are much nicer, and more than capable of towing what the OP needs.

Originally Posted By: Dave Sherman
Don't want a pickup truck, I like being able to carry passengers and cargo.

What about a quad-cab pickup? Plenty of room for passengers, space for cargo, AND plenty of towing capacity. Plus, you can haul nasty stuff you don't want inside the cab with you and wash it out with the hose. That's exactly why I have my GMC and not an SUV.

Just something to consider.

I'd look at a Grand Cherokee if you want some off road abilities or a Durango if you want a third row. Although overkill towing wise, but figured you'd want something the size of the Traverse.

Originally Posted By: bradepb
170,000 miles is pretty good.
I have heard of the timing chain issues on the early 3.6 engines but I also heard they improved the chains and gear angle so this is not really an issue anymore . Is this correct? because I am considering buying a 2016 or 2017 Traverse with the 3.6.

Yes, word on the street is sometime in 2010 the chain and gears were improved and the oil jet that feeds them was improved. Also had the oil life calculation adjusted so it was a bit more conservative. Mine supposedly reflashed with the oil life monitor update, but apparently I had the older engine. Too bad too, the engine and drivetrain run fine otherwise; I was hoping to get a couple more years out of it.

The Forester is limited to towing 1500 pounds. An Outback can tow more with a six cylinder. I wouldn't buy a Subaru if I wanted to tow, haul people and cargo. You said no pick up, but a 4 door pickup with a cap can tow, haul people and cargo with ease. Just pointing it out as an option.

Pick up with a cap is a PITA for cargo. Nothing feels as good on the knees as crawling around on a corrugated steel or aluminum pick up bed.

To be fair, if you have access through the side windows it would not be as bad, but you will be crawling in there. My parents are 60 and they should have sold their truck 5 years ago.

I say that people who have pickup trucks with caps are too cool for a van and too cheap for a full size suv.

EDIT: In addition to that, they got their cap from a reputable dealer, and it cannot stand the corrosive atmosphere in Ontario. They did not use stainless screws, the lock cylinder is sticky and I think it has leaked slightly since day one.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: maxdustington
I say that people who have pickup trucks with caps are too cool for a van and too cheap for a full size suv.

I was going to argue with you, but you're right: I was too cheap for a full size SUV. Although show me a cheap van with 4WD or AWD. Preferably one that can be hosed out. And that won't have sliding door issues.

wink.gif

I don't mind the cap on mine, it makes loading easier--just stack it in, no worries about tying down (won't blow off) (ok, tie stuff down to prevent sliding, but you get the idea). Given how high modern trucks sit, I wouldn't want to put a refrigerator in one anyhow: when I bought my last fridge, I used my HF trailer. I'm sure it looks ridiculous behind my truck, but slave to fashion I am not.

I've yet to figure out what I'll replace mine with. Cargo Carvan probably comes closest to my "needs and wants", save for 4WD.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back