2018 CR’s Recommended Tires

Status
Not open for further replies.
From Tire Business
CR's recommended tires for this year, according to category, are as follows:

All-season: Michelin Defender, Continental TrueContact, General Altimax RT 43 (T), Pirelli P4 Four Seasons Plus.

Performance all-season: Continental PureContact (H), Pirelli Cinturato P7 All Season Plus (H), Michelin Premier A/S (H).

Ultra-high-performance all-season: Michelin pilot Sport A/S 3+, Pirelli P Zero All Season Plus, Continental ExtremeContact DW506, BFGoodrich g-Force COMP-2 A/S.

Ultra-high-performance summer: Michelin Pilot Super Sport, Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric 3, Nokian zLine, Yokohama ADVAN Sport V105, Pirelli P Zero.

All-season light truck: Continental CrossContact LX20 EcoPlus, Michelin Premier LTX, Firestone Destination LE 2, Pirelli Scorpion Verde All Season Plus, Michelin Defender LTX M/S.

Winter/snow: Michelin X-Ice XI3, Nokian Hakkapeliita R2, Bridgestone Blizzak WS80, Cooper Weather-Master WSC, Toyo Observe G3-ICE, Continental WinterContact SI.

That is a decent basic list.

There have been tons of issues with the michelin defender (passenger car tire model) wearing out extremely fast.

doubt they test for that at CR.

They have probably tweaked the tire formulation by now to at least partially fix the issue.

My set lasted
My michelin xice xi2 on the same vehicle are wearing at about the same rate. They are a 40000 mile treadlife warranty winter tire.

Of their(CR's) list, I have had:

Pirelli P4's
Cinturato P7's
General AltiMAX RT43
*AltiMAX Arctic
*Good/Year Assurance Comfortread(ACT's)
*Hankook Optimo H727
*and many other at the time that the tires had scored higher

We were very happy with our tire choices since we've been watching the ratings from Consumer Reports(CR) & Tire Rack(TR)

Altimax Arctic should be on the winter tire list, Tire rack tests them out as #1 winter tire. I have a CR magazine subscription, but I take some of their reviews with a grain of salt.

Have the Pirelli P7's on my car in summer the past two years... It's a decent tire. It doesn't have the hydroplaning resistance I like compared to others I have used, it also will "skip" if accelerate too heavily when it's wet out. Past tires in the same car did not do this as much. Road noise has been decent. No complaints otherwise.

Just got the girlfriends car the General RT43's (not yet mounted)... We shall see how those do.

Now for winter, both myself and the girlfriend have been using the Altimax Artic's now the past 5 years or so and still have 8/32" left... Absolutely love those tires and would buy without question again (likely I will when they get replaced). Amazing traction... Surprised those are not on that list (still).

I put Pilot Super Sports on my Mazdaspeed 3 and the PSS is also the OEM fitment for my 2 Series. I replaced the first set on the 2er at 32,800 miles- not bad considering that the OEM tires survived three track days and one test and tune night at the local 1/8 mile strip.
I recently put a set of Pilot Sport A/S 3+ tires on the Club Sport and I've been very impressed so far.

I think performance and car recommendations are from 2016 test.
Truck tires are from 2017.

I may be wrong.

Krzys

Michelin Pilot Super Sport on my Mercedes SLK. Quiet, stick like glue, and wearing very well for performance tires. The Hankook V12 tires were bald at 10K miles on my old SLK.

I am very interested in the General RT43 as I am planning to put those on my wife's Elantra Limited when the original tires wear out.
On that car I am interested in the how quiet they are and ride quality. Unfortunately the Limited has 17" low profile tires.
So any input on them would be appreciated.

Last edited:
I would have added Hankook Optimo H727, Yokohama Avid Ascend. There are more than four good all season tires, just like everything else.

Originally Posted By: Rolla07
Any mebtion of all weather tires? Guessing only a few exist but still

01.gif

Originally Posted By: Stevie
Michelin Pilot Super Sport on my Mercedes SLK. Quiet, stick like glue, and wearing very well for performance tires. The Hankook V12 tires were bald at 10K miles on my old SLK.

I am very interested in the General RT43 as I am planning to put those on my wife's Elantra Limited when the original tires wear out.
On that car I am interested in the how quiet they are and ride quality. Unfortunately the Limited has 17" low profile tires.

IMHO, the RT43's aren't a loud tire however, they're not as quiet as say, Pirelli P7, G/Y Comfortread or most Michelin's and others. But, they're a nice tire for soaking up bumps and do well all'round!

I had also PSS before, and IMO, they are class in itself. Not only that they stick like a glue in dry and wet, but overall strength of the tire is ridiculous. I had in one tire 4 nails (moved to new house in new development where construction was still ongoing) and still, tire required minimum weights to be balanced. At 3/32 they were still going thru water like a razor.
I am getting PSS for my wife's Tiguan next summer jus because (we use snow's in winter).

Originally Posted By: edyvw

I had also PSS before, and IMO, they are class in itself. Not only that they stick like a glue in dry and wet, but overall strength of the tire is ridiculous. I had in one tire 4 nails (moved to new house in new development where construction was still ongoing) and still, tire required minimum weights to be balanced. At 3/32 they were still going thru water like a razor.
I am getting PSS for my wife's Tiguan next summer jus because (we use snow's in winter).

Except there is now a better tire. The Mich PS4S. PSS is old news now.

Originally Posted By: mightymousetech

Except there is now a better tire. The Mich PS4S. PSS is old news now.

Yeah I know. Still not available in size I need.
PSS might be old news, but it is still light years ahead of "new news" from other manufacturers.

PSS might be old news, but it is still light years ahead of "new news" from other manufacturers.

I recently outfitted my sig car with Michelin P4S in 275/35/20 sizing. My two previous sets of tires were Michelin PSS.

The difference is rather remarkable, since the PSS was by far the best tire ever on the car. With P4S I can barely get a wheel to spin, amazing actually. And even better in the rain!

If they actually last longer as they are reputed to do they are the best tire I have ever driven on by far!

[censored], that sucks. How about the PS4? They are supposed to be marginally better than the PSS. Honestly, the competition has really caught up. If the PS4S did not come in my size, I was going to get the Continental ExtemeContact Sport.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back