Mazda CX-5 67,000 mile ATF analysis

Status
Not open for further replies.
After researching whether I should drain and fill the ATF on my car, it was clear there was absolutely no consensus for this model, Mazda only says it's "life time" fluid, and I couldn't find any ATF analysis for a moderate or high mileage CX-5. So I figured I needed good data to make a decision based on so I drained and filled mine at 66,900 miles and paid for a Blackstone analysis because I was just so curious with Mazda saying you never need to replace the fluid and others saying 30-40,000 miles.

I did buy the vehicle at about 65,000 miles but the previous owner said he didn't remember draining the ATF and wouldn't have done it unless it was part of the scheduled maintenance, which it isn't so I believe this is the original fluid. Blackstone says the fluid is all good and they'd try 75,000 miles but I don't know what the actual numbers mean so comments are welcome! For what it's worth, this is a 2014 Touring.

Last edited:
From what I understand, there are two trains of thought. One is to leave the fluid unchanged. Mazda says it is a lifetime fluid but many including myself pause at that thought. The other is to change it every 30k. That also gives you the opportunity to change the filter at the 60k mark. Did you drop the pan?

This Mazda SkyActiv transmission is very good but compact. As long as you stick with the Mazda oem fluid you should be fine. I would also change the differential and awd system fluid as well.

WHat kind of ATF did you fill it with? Maxlife is very popular on here, and Castrol makes an awesome synthetic ATF that goes on sale sometimes
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: slacktide_bitog
WHat kind of ATF did you fill it with? Maxlife is very popular on here, and Castrol makes an awesome synthetic ATF that goes on sale sometimes
smile.gif

Hopefully he used the Mazda fluid. This is not your every day variety automatic transmission.

It tells me the Mazda engineers are right....absolutely no reason this fluid should be changed. Nevt time go 150k miles....

I didn't drop the pan. It has a drain plug which I used as the purpose was mostly to test the oil. I did use Mazda fluid since their motor oil is so unique, I thought maybe the ATF would also be unique compared to the other brands. My car is just front wheel drive but I do have the differential fluid on my list - I'm just waiting until the weather is nicer.

While transmission internals are becoming more robust, I don't believe in Lifetime fluids or Fills, because the chemistry is just not up to the task at this point in time, regardless of what the beancounters and Marketing groups try to convince us.

The new fluid will be cleaning and dispersing the old crud left behind so you might want to change fluid in another 30k or less.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: philipp10
It tells me the Mazda engineers are right....absolutely no reason this fluid should be changed. Nevt time go 150k miles....

That's what I concluded but I don't know what the actual numbers mean so I thought I'd seek opinions. The insolubles are low and the actual fluid seems like it's in good condition. I think I'll do a drain and fill every 60K miles since you only get 46% of the fluid out. This schedule would mean I'd have 29% of the original fluid at 120K miles and 15% at 180K miles.

It is interesting that they are using a small amount of Bariom (most likely Barium Sulfonate) which is a corrosion inhibitor.

Quote:
The insolubles are low and the actual fluid seems like it's in good condition.

Yes, but what about the condition of the friction modifiers due to oxidation? You cannot determine from a $28 basic analysis, and friction modifier chemistry does change over time.

Which brings up another topic and that is shearing. Is this is a low viscosity ATF or a nominal 7.5 cSt@100C viscosity fluid? We cannot determine how much shearing occurred unless a VOA is done.

I didn't see any technical specifications in the link, but I suspect it is a LV ATF (approx. 5.9 to 6.2 cSt) formulated for this specific transmission.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back