MB Owners - Mann or Mahle Oil Filters?

Status
Not open for further replies.
For cartridge filters, which do most of you use? It looks like MB OEM filters are made by Mahle?

TIA for your thoughts;

They're fairly interchangeable, but every application may be different.

For my MB diesels, the Mann and Mahle look identical in design.

For my old BMW, the Mann had the epoxied/potted ends, while Mahle had the metal end caps.

For my new BMW, the Mann and Mahle have the same epoxied/potted ends, while Hengst uses the same end design they used for my 2004 Saab (the energetic cartridge filter design), with the pleats epoxied to a plastic end cap with a felt inner ring.

Take a look at pictures. If the Mann and Mahle look like the same end cap design, I'd doubly be ok using either. If different, you may want to make a personal depiction based upon what design suits you best.

I would not use Mahle - all of the Mahle oil filters I have used on Euro applications are far less robust than the Mann equivalents. For a MB product, I only use Mann or Purflux.

Originally Posted By: The Critic
I would not use Mahle - all of the Mahle oil filters I have used on Euro applications are far less robust than the Mann equivalents. For a MB product, I only use Mann or Purflux.
The Mahle I saw on Amazon was a Purflux. Is that normal?

Originally Posted By: 2015_PSD

That would be news to me. What was the application?

Mann and Mahle are OE filters used in almost all European manufactured cars.
They can be used interchangeably with 100% confidence

Another plot twist
smile.gif
From a stash I have for my Toyota...

If you look at the Mahle filter (Mahle OX814DECO) on the left and the MB filter (Mercedes-Benz 276 180 00 09) on the right, according to the pictures, they are the same--the comments even state they are the same by many of the purchasers.

Further, if you click on the Mahle filter and look at the photos, it reads Purflux on the perimeter and based upon what I have seen, Purflux filters have the "wrinkled" media. -- Mann, Mahle, & MB Filters @ Amazon

Originally Posted By: rooflessVW
Mann, Mahle, Hengst, Purflux. Use them interchangeably.

That. But be careful with Purflux, those not made in France are becoming [censored] (even those made in France seem to be cheaper and cheaper).

I use Mann or Mahle without preference and never had any problems. Being a creature of habit, if it works I keeps using it til it doesn't eg Purolator.

If you look at the Mahle filter (Mahle OX814DECO) on the left and the MB filter (Mercedes-Benz 276 180 00 09) on the right, according to the pictures, they are the same--the comments even state they are the same by many of the purchasers.

Further, if you click on the Mahle filter and look at the photos, it reads Purflux on the perimeter and based upon what I have seen, Purflux filters have the "wrinkled" media. -- Mann, Mahle, & MB Filters @ Amazon

I am familiar with this application- I have used the Mahle before and it is a poorly built filter compared to the Mann and Purflux. This is what the Mahle actually looks like:

Bosch filters are worth looking at too. In my application, they are identical to Mann (OEM) filters, and can be found for around $7/filter - http://www.rmeuropean.com/Products/0001802609-MFG1014-V5004.aspx. RMEuropean also has the Mann version for around $10. I have both, and there is literally no difference. I also purchased the Hengst and Mahle filters for comparison. While they are not bad filters, I think the Mann/Bosch/OEM ones are just better built on my application.

Use either, have been interchanging them for years on the Volvos, and will do the same in our MB.

Originally Posted By: The CriticI am familiar with this application- I have used the Mahle before and it is a poorly built filter compared to the Mann and Purflux. This is what the Mahle actually looks like:

" href="https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/attachments/usergals/2018/03/full-4894-21017-224caa9c_bac6_4be6_96ad_98d48244ff72.png" title="">
full-4894-21017-224caa9c_bac6_4be6_96ad_98d48244ff72.png

Many thanks! I take it the Mahle I posted is good to go?

The Amazon picture of that filter makes it look identical to the OEM filter (including wavy pleats like the Purflux - which is the OEM in your application), but it looks like some of the reviewers are complaining it doesn't match the pictures. They may have changed to the non-wavy version like the picture you included. I bet it's not a bad filter, but it's not the same as OEM. Here it is on Amazon - http://a.co/8rxLe6z. The Mahle version on my application is different from OEM as well, but it's a fairly nice filter. It does have strips of plastic bonded to the exterior of the filtering media to prevent it from distorting (getting sucked inward) like some of the filters (especially the paper ones). FWIW, the one in your pic doesn't appear to have that. Here is the Mahle for my application for an example: http://www.rmeuropean.com/Products/0001802609-MFG67-V5004.aspx

Originally Posted By: The CriticI am familiar with this application- I have used the Mahle before and it is a poorly built filter compared to the Mann and Purflux. This is what the Mahle actually looks like:

" href="https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/attachments/usergals/2018/03/full-4894-21017-224caa9c_bac6_4be6_96ad_98d48244ff72.png" title="">
full-4894-21017-224caa9c_bac6_4be6_96ad_98d48244ff72.png

Many thanks! I take it the Mahle I posted is good to go?

If you actually receive the one pictured, then yes. But my suspicion is that you will receive the "cheaper" version that I posted a picture of.

I would order your filters from rmeuropean if possible. They drop ship from SSF.

I've used Man, Mahle and Hengst on my MB Sprinters, and all are good filters, even though they are different design.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back