2013 Lexus IS250 - Spark Plugs @ 59.5k

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mileage on the car was 59.5k. OEM interval for spark plugs is 60K due to the direct injection.

The upper intake manifold had to be removed to gain access to the driver side bank. With the upper intake removed, it was apparent that the intake valves had a moderate amount of gunky buildup.

Originally Posted By: Chris142
One would think that plugs with 3 ground electrodes would last much longer than 60k.

Toyota is requiring spark plug replacement at 60K intervals on all of their direct injected engines. The dealer quoted $692 to replace the spark plugs. The labor time is 2.9 hours and requires removing the upper intake manifold.

Originally Posted By: Snagglefoot
Where those Denso plugs installed at the factory?

Yes.

Last edited:
Interesting that Toyota bought into the multiple ground electrode idea.
It isn't new for Toyota. The Lexus ES300 had multiple ground electrodes. However, they looked much different from these spark plugs and used platinum instead of iridium.

Interesting that Toyota bought into the multiple ground electrode idea.
My 97' Camry had them as OE. Same as my current 00' Camry.

You don't see triple electrode plugs everyday...

My 91 BMW 318i used triples... it had a lot of tech that was very new to the industry. I can't say that multiple electrodes is new tech even by 1991 standards, but it had a lot of other good stuff too.

I did mine on the 3.5 at 91K (well wasn't my choice anyway, and there was nothing in the records). Same plugs, looked ok, maybe .002 over. I guess they are paranoid about any misfires with that interval. Cats aren't cheap. No manifold removal needed, but the dealer wanted about $500ish with tax to do it. Got OEM plugs at advance auto, was $70 for the set and made $30 back in speedperks and rebates. They PM RA and picked them up same day.

Last edited:
Multi electrode plugs are nothing new, but these sure are interesting. Looks like a regular IK20TT plug mixed with their old two-prong side fire design.

I wonder what dictated that.

Did you look at the misfire count before and after? Do you want to clean the valves & inlet tract having seen how much gunk accumulates in the absence of exposure to raw fuel?

2.9 hours!? Must include a much and a few smoke breaks. Hope you got at those intake valves while you were on there.

Originally Posted By: Dyusik
2.9 hours!? Must include a much and a few smoke breaks. Hope you got at those intake valves while you were on there.

2.9 is on the generous side, but that was Mitchell’s book time for this one. No, I did not clean the intake valves because they were not causing problems yet but I did alert the owner.

Let me get my brain around this. The intake manifold has to come out to change plugs and at 60k, the intake valves are gunked up? This is one of those V6s with the 8' timing belt with all sorts of plastic guides and tensioners? This gimcrack is lubed with 0w20 oil and hitched to a 8 spd automatic trans. No thank you.

Last edited:
6 at, chain, 5/10w30 . Di woes in these, esecially pre tsb with super low tension rings. Any high load will push oil up the pcv. I could run the sump dry in an hour of racing type driving probably. Once upgraded it's a good ride, not problematic if valves are cleaned as part of maintenance.
Manifold is cake, few bolts and it's out, a plastic upper.

6 at, chain, 5/10w30 . Di woes in these, esecially pre tsb with super low tension rings. Any high load will push oil up the pcv. I could run the sump dry in an hour of racing type driving probably. Once upgraded it's a good ride, not problematic if valves are cleaned as part of maintenance.
Manifold is cake, few bolts and it's out, a plastic upper.

0W20 for this particular one (see picture). I would not hesitate to own a later model one, I would just plan on doing a walnut blast every so often. There are far worse port-injected engines that you could be owning.

Di woes in these, esecially pre tsb with super low tension rings. Any high load will push oil up the pcv.

I was under the impression the 4GR-FSE in the IS250 was a Toyota D4-S engine, and not a DI-only engine?

Yeah it's backwards, d4s is 2 injectors and d2s is 4. I never did understand that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back