valve cover removed

Status
Not open for further replies.
while I am waiting for the right mount on my car I decided to tackle valve cover gasket today that was sipping on its back; I replaced it about 3 years ago with Felpro, so little to short IMO. Once I removed the gasket from its groves it snapped open circuit, talking about quality. Also I've noticed a small crack like a hair on the cover along the grove. This time is Felpro again from Amazon that I had stashed away not long ago; if it leaks again sometime down the road, ill go at lilaclocar Mazda and get the new valve cover and gaskets.

the oil used was conventional 5w-20 of any prominent brands majority of its life, changed at 3k normally with use of a basic filter with 95% efficiency

Enjoy

Nothing to see here folks... Looks great.

But of course its always fun to look under the VCs!

smile.gif

Looks like a high quality gasket. Silicone rubber? Usually those don't leak. You mentioned the cover is cracked? That's likely your leak source.

Otherwise, everything looks quite good.

187,000 miles... everything looks fantastic!

Now, start going 10,000 OCI, I doubt you'll see any additional or excessive accumulation

Very shiny, but a bit complicated, notably the gasket in question. I usually make my own, but that'd be a challenge with that one.

Rocker cover appears to be plastic. Eeuw!

Originally Posted By: OVERKILL
Looks like a high quality gasket.

You mean apart from being broken? (6th picture down).

Not clear from OP's description but it might have happened during removal.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Ducked

Yes, obviously, LOL. It looks to be a nice silicone rubber gasket, those are usually lifetime units.

I thank you guys! Regarding the OC extending interval I'm a bit resented; I'm thinking the engine will start to leak if I use the synthetic oil for example

The new gasket certainly looks good and has good reviews on Amazon, it snapped just like that; I was baffled by that. It stayed attached to the engine block when I removed the valve cover. But once I got it in my hands it was already snapped. And yes there is a hair-like crack on the cover, around timing chain area; however it located is on the outside of the valve cover groove behind the gasket

thats the gasket I used and again
https://www.amazon.com/Felpro-VS50639R1-...over+gasket+set

I can't speak for Mazda. But, Mitsu uses metal gaskets (OEM) vs paper gaskets (aftermarket). Of course the prices are triple most times! Very nice and clean! Thanks for posting.

Respectfully,

Pajero!

Originally Posted By: demarpaint
It doesn't get any cleaner than that.

Not even on synthetic oil?

Careful. That's burn-him-at-the-stake talk in these here virtual parts.

Last edited:

Yes, obviously, LOL. It looks to be a nice silicone rubber gasket, those are usually lifetime units.

There not life time. I had to replace on both VCs of my Duratech 4s(2007 Fusion and 2007 Focus) at about 190K. Both VCs started weeping slightly.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: tig1

There not life time. I had to replace on both VCs of my Duratech 4s(2007 Fusion and 2007 Focus) at about 190K. Both VCs started weeping slightly.

Was it the gasket that failed?

The ones on our old Expedition are still going, with similar mileage (and it was a 2002) and they were original and never leaked
21.gif

A proper silicone rubber gasket should be basically lifetime. Obviously some of them aren't, but I'm wondering if there's more to it than just the gaskets in those instances.

I wouldn't be concerned for replacing the valve gasket if needed as opposed to burning oil issue for example, so it works for me!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back