Help wanted with a thermosat to prevent freezing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I want a thermostat switch to turn on a small 5v 2amp current to prevent a small device freezing.

I an confused. I see NO (Normally Open) 0c (32f) thermostats, but does that meen the circut closes at that temp and ABOVE, or closes when the temp DROPS to 0c and lower?

Originally Posted By: Warstud
What is this small device ?

A small warming eliment that can be attatched to a Hummingbird feeder.

Expat, aren't the hummers in Costa Rica this time of yr?
grin2.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: andyd
Expat, aren't the hummers in Costa Rica this time of yr?
grin2.gif

No, the Anna hummers stay all winter, but sometimes it will get cold enough for even sugar water in the feeders to freeze. Which means they can't feed at a time they probably most need it.

At the moment the heating element is on 24/7 but I would like to add a thermostatic switch like the simple 'Buttons'available.

These are available in NO (normally open) and NC (normally closed) and a temp setting.
I just need to know what is 'normally' so it switches with a falling temp not a rising temp.

Our power sorce is inside the house, so the thermostat in the link will not work.

Get a GFCI pigtail, and move the power source outside. Maybe use a low temp sensor from a security system wired in some how ? First is quick and dirty, 2nd is what you envision.
grin2.gif

I do not want to complicate things, what I have works well and is safe.

I just want to add a suitable thermostat but I am confused as to the type I need

They have thermostatic controllers that just plug into an outlet or extension cord. I have one for 0F but hey make them for 32F too.

OK I have found what I need to know:

"Bimetal disc thermostat. NC (Normal Close)
NC means that the circuit is closed when below the item marked temperature,
when above the item marked temperature, the circuit is open.
Automatic reset.
10A 250VAC"

So I need a NC.

What I have can be powered from a USB wall wart or if need be a 12v battery. Of course with a battery a thermostat would be a big advantage.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back