Choice of .357 SIG Ammo

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: BlueOvalFitter
These Federal Premium bullets sort of resemble the Winchester White Box economy JHP's.

Says Hydra Shok on the Federal link give above by George Bynum.

I think there is an over concern about top tier defense ammo today. It's much like top tier gasoline. It really isn't going to matter, because there isn't enough difference between them. Shot placement and firearm function is of much greater concern. Just like gas. The way you drive along with how your car is tuned will matter more than what pump you pull up next to.

http://www.federalpremium.com/ammunition...nse-hydra-shok/

Scroll down the list and you will see "357S1" is listed as "JACKETED HOLLOW POINTS". In my post in which I can't find any info. on the pictured ammo, it's listed as "357S1" on the box. It's a JHP, not the "HYDRA-SHOK". The box doesn't even list HYDRA-SHOK on the box, just JHP. I own HYDRA-SHOK ammo and the boxes list on it HYDRA-SHOK. I don't currently have any of the boxes, but if you GOOGLE it you'll see.
BTW, "357HS1" is HYDRA-SHOK.

Originally Posted By: billt460
I think there is an over concern about top tier defense ammo today. It's much like top tier gasoline. It really isn't going to matter, because there isn't enough difference between them. Shot placement and firearm function is of much greater concern. Just like gas. The way you drive along with how your car is tuned will matter more than what pump you pull up next to.

This is the most important point when you are shooting at your enemy. But, a great self defense ammo helps in this situation as well. If it were not important manufacturers would not be making it. In that case, it would have never been invented. We would just be using FMJ bullets instead. That's just my opinion, and you know what they say about opinions.......
smile.gif

Scroll down the list and you will see "357S1" is listed as "JACKETED HOLLOW POINTS". In my post in which I can't find any info. on the pictured ammo, it's listed as "357S1" on the box. It's a JHP, not the "HYDRA-SHOK". The box doesn't even list HYDRA-SHOK on the box, just JHP. I own HYDRA-SHOK ammo and the boxes list on it HYDRA-SHOK. I don't currently have any of the boxes, but if you GOOGLE it you'll see.

I see that ... but the info I posted above off Federal's website also shows "Hydra Shok" (center post hollow point design) for the 357S1 (I circled it in red). So seems Federal has some mix up in their description going on, or calling anything with a center post hollow point a "Hydra Shok".

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix

I see that ... but the info I posted above off Federal's website also shows "Hydra Shok" (center post hollow point design) for the 357S1 (I circled it in red). So seems Federal has some mix up in their description going on, or calling anything with a center post hollow point a "Hydra Shok".

33.gif

Why would Federal put "Hydra Shok" on the info page for the 357S1? I guess just to make things confusing.
grin.gif

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix
Why would Federal put "Hydra Shok" on the info page for the 357S1? I guess just to make things confusing.
grin.gif

Z06, I'm reading it as their way of saying both of these bullets are listed as (2) separate/different "BRANDS" of JHP, PERSONAL DEFENSE and HYDRA-SHOK.

This is the most important point when you are shooting at your enemy. But, a great self defense ammo helps in this situation as well. If it were not important manufacturers would not be making it. In that case, it would have never been invented. We would just be using FMJ bullets instead. That's just my opinion, and you know what they say about opinions.

I'm not saying, or suggesting the use of FMJ. I am saying if you take the top tier defense ammo that is currently offered from all the top manufacturers, there is little to no difference in any or all of it's performance if the shots are placed properly.

I came across some SIG .357 Federal Premium ammo and can't find any information about its ballistics on the interweb. Does anyone know anything about this ammo? It's rather expensive, so for the amount they are charging, it should be just as good, or better than HST.

https://www.ammoforsale.com/federal-357-sig-ammo-for-sale-357sig125jhpfederal-50
$1/rd. LOL. Dude just go find some 54234 Gold Dots or HST or Ranger Bonded in the 50 box and be done.

Originally Posted By: hatt
I came across some SIG .357 Federal Premium ammo and can't find any information about its ballistics on the interweb. Does anyone know anything about this ammo? It's rather expensive, so for the amount they are charging, it should be just as good, or better than HST.

https://www.ammoforsale.com/federal-357-sig-ammo-for-sale-357sig125jhpfederal-50
$1/rd. LOL. Dude just go find some 54234 Gold Dots or HST or Ranger Bonded in the 50 box and be done.

hatt, I am a gun enthusiast. When I used to work, at one time I owned 76 firearms. I currently own 12. It took me 6 years to buy them. Some were bought new, some used. I just recently started learning more about the .357 SIG rd. Eventually, I will stop being as curious about it as I am now. Until then, I will keep asking Q?'S.
smile.gif

What are you trying to accomplish? Chasing magic nuances is a lost cause. All the big name duty handgun ammo performs well. The ammo companies and angencies buying ammo by the pallet did a lot of research and testing. If you want to do something productive buy a lot of practice ammo and shoot it.

What are you trying to accomplish? Chasing magic nuances is a lost cause. All the big name duty handgun ammo performs well. The ammo companies and angencies buying ammo by the pallet did a lot of research and testing. If you want to do something productive buy a lot of practice ammo and shoot it.

hatt, what's your choice in .357 SIG ammo? What kind of firearm do you fire it from? I'm thinking about a M&P .357 FS from SOG. Your opinion?
http://www.southernohiogun.com/handguns/smith-wesson/sandw-military-and-police-pistol-357sig.html

I'm thinking about a M&P .357 FS from SOG. Your opinion?
I would go for a Glock G4 (G31, G32, or G33). It is the AR-15 of pistols with tons of accessories and upgrades.

hatt, what's your choice in .357 SIG ammo? What kind of firearm do you fire it from? I'm thinking about a M&P .357 FS from SOG. Your opinion?
http://www.southernohiogun.com/handguns/smith-wesson/sandw-military-and-police-pistol-357sig.html

Glock 32 Gen 3 with 54234 Gold Dots for carry. Reloads for shooting.

Here's what I would get over the M&P.
Trade in G31

Trade in G31

The link wouldn't download. Isn't the G31 frame the same size as the G22 .40 caliber?
Your .357 SIG re-loads, do you water them down, make them as hot as Underwood, or hotter?
I have been reading about how many people that re-load this ammo say it's VERY expensive. I want to get into re-loading one day when I go back to work. But, I think I will start with the cheaper ammo first, 9mm. I read that it's the most popular, and cheapest.
If I ever get cleared to actually go back to work I have a teaching job (pipe fitting/welding) waiting on me at the local Vo-Tech school over here (6.2 miles from my house). If the paperwork and the EPA "STUFF" ever clears, I can open my own business. I can sit behind a desk at this job. The PF/W job would be actual hands on. Then I can start re-loading ammo, buying more guns, start building engines again, find me a '69 Camaro and make a re-badged COPO, YENKO, or an RS/SS Z/28........

Isn't the G31 frame the same size as the G22 .40 caliber?
Yes; G17, G22, & G31 are all the same frame size.

Trade in G31

The link wouldn't download. Isn't the G31 frame the same size as the G22 .40 caliber?
Your .357 SIG re-loads, do you water them down, make them as hot as Underwood, or hotter?
I have been reading about how many people that re-load this ammo say it's VERY expensive. I want to get into re-loading one day when I go back to work. But, I think I will start with the cheaper ammo first, 9mm. I read that it's the most popular, and cheapest.

I don't load anything hot. If I want more power I step up to something more powerful. .357 Sig ammo isn't expensive if you buy it online. Pretty easy to find it for around $16ish/50 rds. If you're limited to buying at local gun stores stay miles away from the .357. If you're just getting into pistols 9mm is the way.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back