Waterpump as PM?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I went to Lexus to get some touchup paint. I started talking to a tech, he told me at 100K if you DIY the coolant, change the WP. Said you can get the Aisin one online for $75. He has an IS350 and just did his at 100k. He told me Toyota pumps like to leak.

Toyota seems to have an issue of late. But IMO unless if your model is known to absolutely eat WP's every 100k I'd just wait for it to go. I mean, they like to weep for a while--it's not like they blow apart all of a sudden, they give indication for a good while.

How hard is it to replace? If it's a 5 minute job, ok fine, no biggie. A couple hours? that's something else.

If it's buried behind the timing belt then I'd replace at TB time, sure. This motor, it's not a TB, right?

Toyota pumps on the newer cars tend to leak, I'm guessing the newer pink SLLC coolant doesn't play nice with the seals. They were replaced as PM on the older cars with timing belts.

Now, with Zerex's Asian formula using benzoate instead of sebacate for the OAT portion of its inhibitor package, I wonder if the pump can live a longer life before it springs a leak.

Originally Posted By: supton
Toyota seems to have an issue of late. But IMO unless if your model is known to absolutely eat WP's every 100k I'd just wait for it to go. I mean, they like to weep for a while--it's not like they blow apart all of a sudden, they give indication for a good while.

How hard is it to replace? If it's a 5 minute job, ok fine, no biggie. A couple hours? that's something else.

If it's buried behind the timing belt then I'd replace at TB time, sure. This motor, it's not a TB, right?

No TB, maybe 1-2hrs. Lots of bolts.

I'm going to replace my avalanche water pump as a pm. Lots of 3rd gear towing at 2700-3k. I'd rather replace it than have problems on a towing trip.

I remember seeing those new design pumps failing quite early

Think 3.5 2GR V6 or 2.4 2AZ I4

Some of them leaked off the truck, no fix in sight

Toyota's procedure was to hose it down with brake cleaner

If you spin some of these pumps dry by hand, when you take it out of the box (like we all do because spinny thing?) Apparently it can shorten it's life

It has these special carbon ceramic mechanical seals

Not just a rubber or Viton seal anymore

Unless you drive it real hard, or in a hot climate, I don't see the need to change preventatively

Especially as your on a timing chain, not a periodically serviced timing belt

I'd keep an eye out for any pink crusties, or weeping from the weep hole, then change it

If it's a known problem for certain vehicles then YES. But I have almost 300k on my Blazer and it still has the original WP.

Is yours leaking? If not it sounds like you have a good one, I would be tempted to push it out a bit. The one on my MIL car started leaking at 23K so even if you replace it you might be in the same boat soon anyway. Toss a coin.

Trouble is, if you wait for the water pump to go, it will go just as you approach the off ramp to the worst hood in town, or perhaps on the way to the airport for your flight to Orlando to see Mickey, or both.
smile.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Warstud
If it's a known problem for certain vehicles then YES. But I have almost 300k on my Blazer and it still has the original WP.

“Never confuse good luck with good judgement.” I don’t think GM water pumps are known to go 300K.
smile.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Trav
Pumps usually give a warning time not just let go dumping coolant all over the place.

Unless it's a VW or BMW, lol.

Pumps usually give a warning time not just let go dumping coolant all over the place.

I've always had them weep a bit or slowly leak. I'm replacing the avalanche one as i have noticed that my temp gauge on a hot day stays about the same place towing at 2500 or so. But if i get over 2700 rpm the heat gauge rises a good bit, not in the danger zone, but just more than i used to see it move years ago.

I'm thinking more about the impeller being worn, so i just feel better on a 15yo tow vehicle, changing it with the hoses and belts.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: spasm3
I'm going to replace my avalanche water pump as a pm. Lots of 3rd gear towing at 2700-3k. I'd rather replace it than have problems on a towing trip.

Ditto with my Chev 3/4 ton. It’s true they weep first but it can turn to a stream. . Had one do that just before a family trip. I never had time to do it myself so now it turned into a nice repair shop bill.

You can improve your reliability of your 10 year old Suburban by putting on some new parts at 150,000 miles or you can spend some money on this:

Canadian dollars, of course. In Canada we call it the total price for the Prix.
smirk.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: ford46guy
I went to Lexus ....I started talking to a tech, he told me at 100K ...change the WP

If it's a V8 Lexus, do the starter also - -

WP and starter are both in the "Valley of the V" IIRC.....

Originally Posted By: Snagglefoot
Originally Posted By: Warstud

“Never confuse good luck with good judgement.” I don’t think GM water pumps are known to go 300K.
smile.gif

The one on my 03 Avalanche only made it to 272,000. I just replaced it last weekend.
smile.gif

It usually does. If this is just your car and you are not doing anything heavy with it and you can afford to wait, wait.
The only cars I have done it as preventive maintenance are on my tow rigs.

If you are changing a timing belt, change the pump. Otherwise the pump may fail when the timing belt still has some life left. Then you waste a large amount of parts and labor on a new timing belt. This happened to both of my parents once. This is also why people replace tensioners and pulleys when they replace the timing belt.

However, I have never read about a schedule for replacing a water pump on an engine that uses a timing chain.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back