FRAM CORE 9688, 5,000 Miles CUT OPE

Status
Not open for further replies.
This filter and i assume QSGB oil was off friends 2011 Hyundai Sonata 2.4 engine vehicle. Put a tg 3593A and last of my QSUD 10w30 from my stash in vehicle. 75,565 miles on car.

Bullwinkle: no tears just dam ***** is all
frown.gif

Originally Posted By: SubieRubyRoo
Uh oh... I have a feeling the Tearolator cheerleaders won't be all over this C&P. To me this is the perfect reason to avoid filters with cardboard end caps.

Why avoid them, did it separate from the media somehow? To me the fact that they are flexible is a good thing, not a bad one.

And before you accuse me of being a cheerleader, I don't use any filters that have end caps as far as I know.

Looks like the TG I took off my Accord this past oil change.
Ugly and wavy, but it didn't rip/tear or have holes.
Ran it 6400 miles.
I'm pretty sure the cold weather has a lot to do with it.
I'm less than 2 miles from the freeway, no real time for gradual warm up before having to get to freeway speeds.

If the guts of the filter are clamped good and tight together, the outside edges of the end caps can deform/warp and still seal around the center tube. Rather have warped end caps vs torn media.

Originally Posted By: kschachn
Originally Posted By: SubieRubyRoo
Uh oh... I have a feeling the Tearolator cheerleaders won't be all over this C&P. To me this is the perfect reason to avoid filters with cardboard end caps.

Why avoid them, did it separate from the media somehow? To me the fact that they are flexible is a good thing, not a bad one.

And before you accuse me of being a cheerleader, I don't use any filters that have end caps as far as I know.

I agree kschachn, the media was intact, end caps intact, but both are deformed. Not ideal, but filter kept filtering, like a filter is supposed to.

Call me a "cheerleader" if you want, but I will take an ugly but intact Fram with fiber end caps over a Purolator with metal end caps and torn media.
But then again, I also use cheap made in China filters, Frams with fiber end caps, and whatever else is on sale/clearance/discount at the time (including some Purolator made Bosch Distance Plus filters).

Originally Posted By: blupupher
Call me a "cheerleader" if you want, but I will take an ugly but intact Fram with fiber end caps over a Purolator with metal end caps and torn media.

I'd call you a realist with some engineering logic.

Car51 - this element is clearly of Fram descent. While the filter is scary with collapsing pleats, it completed it’s mission without tearing. I think winter and operating conditions took it’s toll. Thanks for the informative C&P.

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix
Originally Posted By: blupupher

I'd call you a realist with some engineering logic.

Ditto here.

Originally Posted By: car51
frown.gif

Why you using the TG 3593A? Any problems or leaks using the TG 3593A?

According to the filter specs it should work. Relieve pressure is a bit higher....

Originally Posted By: MobilinHyundia
Originally Posted By: car51
frown.gif

Why you using the TG 3593A? Any problems or leaks using the TG 3593A?

According to the filter specs it should work. Relieve pressure is a bit higher....
Actually (if you mean me) I have used both the TG3593A and PH3593A, they both did OK, but distorted the endcaps somewhat (but not to the degree this one did).

No, this one seems to show no tearing. I wouldn't use one if it was free, too much bending of the end cap, and wide flexible media. It is what it is, brand aside, and it's awful.

Originally Posted By: goodtimes
No, this one seems to show no tearing. I wouldn't use one if it was free, too much bending of the end cap, and wide flexible media. It is what it is, brand aside, and it's awful.

Lol, I always enjoy reading your goofy posts on this subject.

But like you say better than tearing away from the end cap at least - like some brands have been shown to do with regularity.

Thank you for the good C&P car51
And again, that's very thoughtful of you using your own personal oil and filter to help out a friend! He's very fortunate to have a friend like you.
smile.gif

thumbsup2.gif
34.gif

Originally Posted By: kschachn

I don't accuse anyone of being a cheerleader, I let their actions speak for themselves.
smile.gif
And before you think I am cheerleading for another brand, I have FU on my Odyssey and even a couple for my Fusion on the shelf, but I am currently running an MicroGreen to see what the UOA and C&P look like since I have a good data set (100k of UOA with PUP) to compare against.

I just personally don't see why anyone would trust 1/8" cardboard against a viscous liquid at pressures greater than 50psi. To me, the bent top plate will bypass dirty oil just as bad or worse as torn media since an opening will have even less restriction than one pleat torn away at the bottom. IMHO of course.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back