Where are all the A5/B5 oils?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Seems many new cars are specifying A5/B5, but that specification is no where to be found among the main engine oil manufacturers (except Pennzoil). What’s the deal? Is it really that much of a harder spec than A1/B1 (I see that everywhere).

Originally Posted By: 1JZ_E46
Is it really that much of a harder spec than A1/B1 (I see that everywhere).

I seriously doubt it.

Is it a Low-SAPS specification?

Castrol was supposed to reformulate their 5w30 to meet the new A5/B5 standards, but unfortunately this still hasn't materialized

High-temperature shear (HTHS) can be as low as 2.6 for A1/B1 and a minimum of 2.9 for A5/B5. On that basis alone, I would go for A5/B5. It also happens to be what the Owners Manual recommends for my car.

Valvoline Advanced Full synthetic and Full synthetic with Maxlife technology 5W-30 are both ACEA A5/B5 and HTHS of 3.2 and 3.1. Don't see it listed for Modern Engine oil though.

But my choice would be to use an A3/B4 5w30 or 0w30 (like Castrol Edge 0w30 or Liqui-Moly 5w30), or one of the new 5w30 synthetic HDEO's like Rotella T6 5w30 (from Napa or O'R) or Chevron Delo 400LE 5w30 (available on Amazon)

They are there to be had you just have to look for them. They most likely will not be on the shelf at the Walmart or auto parts stores.

The A1/B1 spec has been removed from the 2016 ACEA Sequences, and is on the way out. I can see why too, everything A1/B1 can do the A5/B5 can do and is often held to a higher standard when doing it.

If you go back to some previous ACEA sequences, like the 2010 HERE you can compare the two.

Much is the same for A1 & A5 (except for HTHS min as detailed above) until you get to the wear an deposit tests:
Cam Wear (microns)
A1/B1 A5/B5
Also for the ring sticking test, A5/B5 is required to be 20% better than A1/B1 for one of the average tests.

I would always select an A5/B5 over a A1/B1 any day of the week.

We get some nice A5/B5 oils from Castrol, Valvoline and Penrite in Australia.

Hopefully once the A1/B1 sequence is expired we will see more A5/B5. Seems to be a superior spec all around.

Originally Posted By: SR5
The A1/B1 spec has been removed from the 2016 ACEA Sequences, and is on the way out. I can see why too, everything A1/B1 can do the A5/B5 can do and is often held to a higher standard when doing it.

If you go back to some previous ACEA sequences, like the 2010 HERE you can compare the two.

Much is the same for A1 & A5 (except for HTHS min as detailed above) until you get to the wear an deposit tests:
Cam Wear (microns)
A1/B1 A5/B5
Also for the ring sticking test, A5/B5 is required to be 20% better than A1/B1 for one of the average tests.

I would always select an A5/B5 over a A1/B1 any day of the week.

We get some nice A5/B5 oils from Castrol, Valvoline and Penrite in Australia.

This^
Good information share, SR5.

Originally Posted By: wemay

This^
Good information share, SR5.

Thanks Mate,

Looking over the 2010 ACEA Sequences, the Noack volatility limit for A5/B5 is 13% but for A1/B1 it's 15%.

So compared to A1/B1, a A5/B5 oil is required to have a higher min HTHS, a lower max Noack, lower cam wear results and cleaner piston rings.

Note, I'm talking about the standard here, not individual oils. Many oils like M1 5W30 (A1/B1) easily meet the A5/B5 standard for some factors such as Noack and HTHS. Still other oils like PP 5W30 are rated A5/B5, which reflects well upon them.

If you want to step it up another notch, consider a Ford WSS-M2C913-D oil. It starts as a full synthetic 5W30 A5/B5 oil, and then Ford adds Increased TBN requirement (from ACEA level of 8 to a Ford requirement of 10) and an extra cam chair wear test (which often translates to more ZDDP at about the 1000 ppm level), plus extra oxidation tests and seal compatibility tests.
Most of the Ford 913-D oils I have seen are "only" SL rated due to their elevated Zinc & Phos levels, but those A5/B5 requirements that are pushed even higher by Ford, make for a great oil.

The 913-D 5W30 is the required oil for the Ford Mustang in Australia.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back