Which Dexron synthetic ATF for my 97 Toyota?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quick question, I have a 1997 Toyota SUV which originally came with Dexron II/III ATF best that I can determine. In the past, like 15 years ago, I used Mobil 1 Synthetic ATF in another Toyota with good results. However I noticed the current Mobil 1 says MultiVehicle Formula on it. So the question is, will the current version of Mobil 1 Synthetic ATF be acceptable or is there another preferred synthetic ATF for a mid-90's Toyota automatic transmission? I thought that I could not use Dexron VI, but just read a GM paper that Dexron VI can be used in the older Dexron III transmissions?? Anyone have experience with the Mobil 1 ATF?

Mobil1 ATF is fine, so is the Valvoline Maxlife ATF.
Mobil1 oils are good.

Old Toyota is never too picky with ATF.

Last edited:
Any quality synthetic ATF will be fine
smile.gif

WHile the M1 ATF doesn't meet the latest Dexron VI standards, that's ok in your case because your car only called for Dexron III which was the contemporary spec back then.

However, my choice would be Maxlife ATF, or Castrol Full Synthetic (when it goes on sale for $5/qt at the parts stores)

while waiting for replies I found the same link to Mobil 1 and did some more reading;
looks like the Mobil 1 synthetic ATF will work well. What confused me was the "Multivehicle" term, but apparently GM, which owns the Dexron name, no longer wants anyone to use or refer to the old Dexron classifications which GM considers obsolete. So now the ATF manufacturers use the term "pre-2006" which is code for Dexron II/III compatible.
Thanks

Originally Posted By: Bob69
Quick question, I have a 1997 Toyota SUV which originally came with Dexron II/III ATF best that I can determine. In the past, like 15 years ago, I used Mobil 1 Synthetic ATF in another Toyota with good results. However I noticed the current Mobil 1 says MultiVehicle Formula on it. So the question is, will the current version of Mobil 1 Synthetic ATF be acceptable or is there another preferred synthetic ATF for a mid-90's Toyota automatic transmission? I thought that I could not use Dexron VI, but just read a GM paper that Dexron VI can be used in the older Dexron III transmissions?? Anyone have experience with the Mobil 1 ATF?

I used the Mobil 1 ATF in my Sienna for most if its life, but lately I've been using Maxlife because it's a lot less expensive. I've not noticed any difference.

I also use Supertech Dexron VI in my old BMW which calls for Dex III. It works well with no issues. I might try it in my Sienna assuming it is still running next time around
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: Bob69
Quick question, I have a 1997 Toyota SUV which originally came with Dexron II/III ATF best that I can determine......

I don't have that much experience with the Mobil One transmission Fluid, but the Transmission fluid of the 1999 Corolla in my sig was "Flushed" and replaced with the "Valvoline Maxlife Full Synthetic ATF" fluid and would be a perfect match for your Toyota SUV.
The Corolla was also originally spec'd for Dextron II/III fluid.
Here's the Product Information Sheet:
Valvoline Multi-Vehicle Synthetic ATF

Last edited:
Not sure what Aisin does differently, model to model, but Maxlife ATF seems to work just fine for many. That is what I have in my '99 Camry and my '10 Tundra.

Any Mercon V, especially Ford approved ones (ST, Castrol, Ford) should work fine too. The SuperTech Mercon V is cheap.

Mobil 1 is what I've always used in any tranny calling for DexII/III/Mercon. I have also used MaxLife ATF with good success.

+1 for Maxlife; I use it in my friend's 2002 Tundra; comes in gallons @ a really reasonable price

Her vehicle takes 12 qts, i just do a D+F every two years or so, swapping out about 4 qts each time.

Also good for doing a suck and replenish of the PS reservoir

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back